An interesting thought....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I honestly don't think he's as bad as you're making out. And the english thing is important because A and 1, i like to see my club raising young english players, and B and 2 we have a quota in the squad that we're already only just making at the minute.

I am not making him out to be that bad but I just don't think he is good enough. If we were to sign Ben Davies as I suggested earlier we wouldn't have to worry about the quota because Ben Davies qualifies as homegrown. I also think Ben Davies is a better left back than Rose.

If Fryers was that good Sir Alex Ferguson would never have let him go in the first place. United haven't exactly been stocked up on left backs in the past few years and if he was good enough they might have kept him as a backup to Evra.

No offence, but I stopped reading after this as you perhaps need to read up a little more about what happened there

No offence, but I stopped reading after this as you perhaps need to read up a little more about what happened there

As far as I am aware he was sold to Standard Liege. So regardless of whether, in SAF's words, we "manipulated" the rules. Ferguson still let him sign for someone else.

As far as I am aware he was sold to Standard Liege. So regardless of whether, in SAF's words, we "manipulated" the rules. Ferguson still let him sign for someone else.

No, he refused to sign a contract with United and pretty much left. Sir Alex was expecting him back, but he signed for Liege instead after Spurs failed to agree a compensation package.

By signing for Liege, he circumnavigated the rules for compensation, and then signed for Tottenham in the following window (thus avoiding a few mil in compo).

By all accounts, United wanted to keep him and so did Sir Alex, but he refused to sign a long term deal (reasons unknown to me, but perhaps felt he would get a better development elsewhere). Very promising player thrown into the same bucket as Holtby to many on here as most seem to think that if we don't spend £10m+ then they must be shit...

Bit more on Zeki here:
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...stands-by-decision-to-leave-manchester-united

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Alex-Fergusons-hairdryer-at-Old-Trafford.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nham-Hotspur-over-signing-of-Zeki-Fryers.html

The first thing i looked at was this.

"Looking at the North London left-backs, Gibbs and Rose have identical stats in terms of successful and total dribbles, with Rose just edging out Gibbs in terms of crossing accuracy. Spurs’ left-back has accumulated a 17% crossing accuracy from 63 crosses, compared to Gibbs’ 16% crossing accuracy from 61 crosses.

In 13 games, Rose has created 12 chances, compared to Gibbs’ 9. This shows how much Spurs rely on their full-backs for creativity, with Kyle Walker the most creative right-back in the league; whereas Woolwich have a host of options to create goals."
Try reading the whole thing.....

No, he refused to sign a contract with United and pretty much left. Sir Alex was expecting him back, but he signed for Liege instead after Spurs failed to agree a compensation package.

By signing for Liege, he circumnavigated the rules for compensation, and then signed for Tottenham in the following window (thus avoiding a few mil in compo).

By all accounts, United wanted to keep him and so did Sir Alex, but he refused to sign a long term deal (reasons unknown to me, but perhaps felt he would get a better development elsewhere). Very promising player thrown into the same bucket as Holtby to many on here as most seem to think that if we don't spend £10m+ then they must be shit...

Bit more on Zeki here:
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...stands-by-decision-to-leave-manchester-united

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Alex-Fergusons-hairdryer-at-Old-Trafford.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nham-Hotspur-over-signing-of-Zeki-Fryers.html

Fair play mate, I hadn't really read up on it that much. Just assumed that if Fryer's was a top rate player United would have been doing all they could to keep him. Evidently not. It doesn't change my point of view though. He has a long long way to go until he is good enough to play regular first team football. He hasn't really stood out for the U21's when I have seen him play for them, which you would expect him to do.

Looking at our season now, with only 10 games or so left in the league, we're on 53 points and in 5th.

People have spoken about how well the teams above us have played, and in a season passed we'd be 2nd or 3rd on current points. That's a fair enough point and I don't disagree as it's purely factual.

The thing that's making me think is this: We are sort of an 'average' squad right now, not in terms of "being average", but more that we don't have a stand-out player and can't be seen as a "one man team", mainly because no "one man" has been outstanding this year (Lloris has played well, but GKs are normally exempt from that status), but perhaps more because we've got a squad now that has 11+ players all of an equal level of talent.

Now, taking that into consideration, you have to think that we've been mostly crap this season - we've got the points without necessarily deserving them. Several scrappy/lucky 1-0's here and there and so on.

Considering Redknapp would always say "we played well and didn't deserve to lose". This season has been the opposite..

Liverpoop are only 6 points or so ahead, but have been lauded for their performance this season...

So, with that in mind, are we actually a title winning team that's just missing form/tactics/training?
I see (I think) the humour in your post, but I also see the sincerity. We for most part have been poor this season but still find ourselves in 5th and still possibly (unlikely) in contention for a CL spot! 7 new, non EPL experienced, foreign players at the start. If we can keep hold of this current crop of players and may be add a couple more in the summer, along with a manager with a CV to be admired. Then I think we just might pull it off!
An if we don't. I,ll pull it off anyway!

COYS!!

Back
Top Bottom