An interesting thought....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A new left back would be a minor improvement. Rose is surely in the top ... 10% even higher? You're making it sound like a new left back is the missing piece, that'll suddenly make us finish 3 places higher.

Need i remind that, in general, we've had a very good defensive record this season... its just offset by the City and Liverpool games.
in those 3 games we conceded 16 goals. If you took out 12 of those, we'd have conceded the least amount of goals in the league. Obviously its easy to say that about any team, but the fact is, our defence is fine. when we lost 6-0 to city, it wasn't because 1 player, or one area had a shit game.. the whole team was shit. And city are scoring for fun this season.

Anyway, in summary, no. I don't think we are particularly desperate for a left back.

I'd agree, Fryers has done a good job too.

I think our defence is astute and technically capable, but what they're lacking is cohesion and structure.

Based on what we've learnt about our current reign, I'm sure their training thus far has consisted of 'just get the fapping ball off them, simple isn't it?'.

I was watching Freund warming up with the attacking players before the game on Sunday, they were tapping the ball to him he then tapped back for them to collect and run on to goal and shoot. Pretty much every time he tapped it back it would ping off in a wayward fashion and the player would stop his run and start again, and he was just laughing and joking........like he does.

I was watching Freund warming up with the attacking players before the game on Sunday, they were tapping the ball to him he then tapped back for them to collect and run on to goal and shoot. Pretty much every time he tapped it back it would ping off in a wayward fashion and the player would stop his run and start again, and he was just laughing and joking........like he does.

I hope Freund isn't our shooting coach

dawsons-ugly-cry.jpg

A new left back would be a minor improvement. Rose is surely in the top ... 10% even higher? You're making it sound like a new left back is the missing piece, that'll suddenly make us finish 3 places higher.

Need i remind that, in general, we've had a very good defensive record this season... its just offset by the City and Liverpool games.
in those 3 games we conceded 16 goals. If you took out 12 of those, we'd have conceded the least amount of goals in the league. Obviously its easy to say that about any team, but the fact is, our defence is fine. when we lost 6-0 to city, it wasn't because 1 player, or one area had a shit game.. the whole team was shit. And city are scoring for fun this season.

Anyway, in summary, no. I don't think we are particularly desperate for a left back.

To be in the top 10% in the league he would have to be in the top 2 starting left backs which he most definitely is not.

Shaw, Cole, Baines, Davies, Evra, Clichy, Kolarov, Gibbs, Enrique, Santon are all in my opinion better than Danny Rose.

I'll just have to disagree with you on this one mate. I see him as a bit of a liability in defense, and poor at crossing in from the left. Creates few assists, final ball dissapointing. I think this summary backs me up.
http://eplindex.com/50471/fullback-comparison-ben-davies-shaw-rose-gibbs.html?
May be not the missing link, but I think we are actually strong in all areas of the pitch except LB. the "missing link" is getting the potential out of the the decent players we already have (and getting them to 'gel'- hate that phrase). Just my opinion.

To be in the top 10% in the league he would have to be in the top 2 starting left backs which he most definitely is not.

Shaw, Cole, Baines, Davies, Evra, Clichy, Kolarov, Gibbs, Enrique, Santon are all in my opinion better than Danny Rose.
never said in the league. Theres more to football than the premiership ;)

I'll just have to disagree with you on this one mate. I see him as a bit of a liability in defense, and poor at crossing in from the left. Creates few assists, final ball dissapointing. I think this summary backs me up.
http://eplindex.com/50471/fullback-comparison-ben-davies-shaw-rose-gibbs.html?
May be not the missing link, but I think we are actually strong in all areas of the pitch except LB. the "missing link" is getting the potential out of the the decent players we already have (and getting them to 'gel'- hate that phrase). Just my opinion.

The first thing i looked at was this.

"Looking at the North London left-backs, Gibbs and Rose have identical stats in terms of successful and total dribbles, with Rose just edging out Gibbs in terms of crossing accuracy. Spurs’ left-back has accumulated a 17% crossing accuracy from 63 crosses, compared to Gibbs’ 16% crossing accuracy from 61 crosses.

In 13 games, Rose has created 12 chances, compared to Gibbs’ 9. This shows how much Spurs rely on their full-backs for creativity, with Kyle Walker the most creative right-back in the league; whereas Woolwich have a host of options to create goals."

Even still there is no way he is in the top 10% of left backs in the top level football.
Seriously? Are there a load of untapped left backs in the Romanian league we don't know about? the fact he's in the Premier league means he's surely in the top rank of left backs.
Yes, theres better out there. Undoubtedly. but its march so theres fuck all we can do about it, and we could do a lot worse.

The first thing i looked at was this.

"Looking at the North London left-backs, Gibbs and Rose have identical stats in terms of successful and total dribbles, with Rose just edging out Gibbs in terms of crossing accuracy. Spurs’ left-back has accumulated a 17% crossing accuracy from 63 crosses, compared to Gibbs’ 16% crossing accuracy from 61 crosses.

In 13 games, Rose has created 12 chances, compared to Gibbs’ 9. This shows how much Spurs rely on their full-backs for creativity, with Kyle Walker the most creative right-back in the league; whereas Woolwich have a host of options to create goals."

Stop making sense and reading people's citations, he's just shit - okay?

His play of the season stint at Sunderland was a one-off, surely he should be like roberto carlos already in his first season in our first team....

:adegrin:

Think people are obsessed with getting a left-back a little

Stop making sense and reading people's citations, he's just shit - okay?

His play of the season stint at Sunderland was a one-off, surely he should be like roberto carlos already in his first season in our first team....

:adegrin:

Think people are obsessed with getting a left-back a little
just seems like scapegoating to me. Left back is our weakest position so people are saying once we get a new one all problems will be solved.
Fact is, it won't.
Anyway, how much influence on a whole team can a left back really have?

just seems like scapegoating to me. Left back is our weakest position so people are saying once we get a new one all problems will be solved.
Fact is, it won't.
Anyway, how much influence on a whole team can a left back really have?

Depends on the play, doesn't it.

In the past we've relied on attacking wingbacks to an extent, but don't seem to now.

The way I see it, Zeki and Danny are both very very fresh in the first team and are doing well. Both have strengths & weaknesses and will get better with game time.

I still think people are confusing our leadership's inability to get performances out of the team in several areas as "throw a signing at it".

The only signing we need is a coach of sufficient quality to unlock the talent & potential we already have.

Depends on the play, doesn't it.

In the past we've relied on attacking wingbacks to an extent, but don't seem to now.

The way I see it, Zeki and Danny are both very very fresh in the first team and are doing well. Both have strengths & weaknesses and will get better with game time.

I still think people are confusing our leadership's inability to get performances out of the team in several areas as "throw a signing at it".

The only signing we need is a coach of sufficient quality to unlock the talent & potential we already have.
As attacking fullbacks go, we've done pretty well.
Completely agree though.
Its not a new left back thats gonna get the best out of the other 9 outfield players, its a first team coach.

Seriously? Are there a load of untapped left backs in the Romanian league we don't know about? the fact he's in the Premier league means he's surely in the top rank of left backs.
Yes, theres better out there. Undoubtedly. but its march so theres fuck all we can do about it, and we could do a lot worse.

What has the fact that it is March got to do with anything? So you think that Danny Rose is of sufficient quality for a top four chasing side and even though there are undoubtedly better left backs out there available for decent money we shouldn't go after them in January.

I can't believe you are actually saying that Danny Rose is in or around the top 10% of left backs in top level football.

He is decent going forward but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired, he might develop his defensive capabilities as he matures as a player but I think the fact that he started a left midfielder will work against him in that sense, if he had been training as a left back all his career I would feel slightly more comfortable that he could get where he needs to be.

While we are on the subject of left backs, Fryers was found out big time against Cardiff, he was absolutely shocking. He has a long way to go before he is able to cut it at the top level.

Just as a side note Ben Davies and Luke Shaw are both younger than Zeki Fryers and both look far more comfortable playing in the Premier League.

While we are on the subject of left backs, Fryers was found out big time against Cardiff, he was absolutely shocking. He has a long way to go before he is able to cut it at the top level.

Just as a side note Ben Davies and Luke Shaw are both younger than Zeki Fryers and both look far more comfortable playing in the Premier League.

Everyone should forget about Luke Shaw, we'll never get him due to his current love-in and the costs, plus the standard of interested clubs IMO.

I'm surprised everyone is writing off players who have had two season less than the 3 Bale had to be absolutely shit before he turned into an £86m player. I would say that both of them are playing better than Bale did in those 3 season too!

Everyone should forget about Luke Shaw, we'll never get him due to his current love-in and the costs, plus the standard of interested clubs IMO.

I'm surprised everyone is writing off players who have had two season less than the 3 Bale had to be absolutely shit before he turned into an £86m player. I would say that both of them are playing better than Bale did in those 3 season too!

I am not saying we are going to sign Luke Shaw simply saying that he is younger than Fryers and is already twice the player. If Fryers was that good Sir Alex Ferguson would never have let him go in the first place. United haven't exactly been stocked up on left backs in the past few years and if he was good enough they might have kept him as a backup to Evra.

The Bale comparison is growing very tiresome, although Bale never performed to his full potential in his first few seasons he did come here with a lot of hype around him and was always tipped to be a top class player. Neither Rose or Fryers have ever had anything close to that said about them. We can't keep blindly backing players who are not good enough and justify it by saying "Oh but Bale came good". Bale is a once in a generation player, Spurs are unlikely to sell a player for a record breaking fee ever again.

We have already established that there are better left backs available, so why wouldn't we want to sign one?

I am not saying we are going to sign Luke Shaw simply saying that he is younger than Fryers and is already twice the player. If Fryers was that good Sir Alex Ferguson would never have let him go in the first place. United haven't exactly been stocked up on left backs in the past few years and if he was good enough they might have kept him as a backup to Evra.

The Bale comparison is growing very tiresome, although Bale never performed to his full potential in his first few seasons he did come here with a lot of hype around him and was always tipped to be a top class player. Neither Rose or Fryers have ever had anything close to that said about them. We can't keep blindly backing players who are not good enough and justify it by saying "Oh but Bale came good". Bale is a once in a generation player, Spurs are unlikely to sell a player for a record breaking fee ever again.

We have already established that there are better left backs available, so why wouldn't we want to sign one?

im not saying we shouldn't sign a better left back... but every season the "answer" is always

"well if we sign .... we'll be top 4/title contenders etc etc"

its all bullshit and speculation. id rather have a better coach than a new left back. Every year we sign players and have "transition seasons".
We've got a decent, young, english left back. whys that such a problem? If Rose was so shit, he wouldn't be getting in our team. We're a top 5 premier league club. You have to be fairly decent to make that level.

im not saying we shouldn't sign a better left back... but every season the "answer" is always

"well if we sign .... we'll be top 4/title contenders etc etc"

its all bullshit and speculation. id rather have a better coach than a new left back. Every year we sign players and have "transition seasons".
We've got a decent, young, english left back. whys that such a problem? If Rose was so shit, he wouldn't be getting in our team. We're a top 5 premier league club. You have to be fairly decent to make that level.

I am not saying that a left back and a left back alone would make us top four or title contenders, I just believe that he is not good enough. The claim that Rose must be good because he is in our team is farcical, he is only in the team because we don't have anyone better, Assou-Ekotto may well be starting ahead of Rose if he were at the club.

Not sure why you have brought up the fact that he is English because that has absolutely nothing to do with a debate regarding his ability.

I am not saying that a left back and a left back alone would make us top four or title contenders, I just believe that he is not good enough. The claim that Rose must be good because he is in our team is farcical, he is only in the team because we don't have anyone better, Assou-Ekotto may well be starting ahead of Rose if he were at the club.

Not sure why you have brought up the fact that he is English because that has absolutely nothing to do with a debate regarding his ability.

I honestly don't think he's as bad as you're making out. And the english thing is important because A and 1, i like to see my club raising young english players, and B and 2 we have a quota in the squad that we're already only just making at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom