An interesting thought....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why? The levy bit? Levy is ultimately in charge. He has to take to blame for the managers that get appointed. AVB didn't work out. He made the choice to go with a young and relatively inexperienced manager and its backfired massively. We all have our opinions on managers etc, but ultimately they mean jack shit. But Dan, he gets paid millions to make those decisions.

I don't think Levy had any other choice at that time that would, in the long term, make sense.

I've every faith that his appointing of Sherwood is part of a masterplan.

I'm not too keen on Sherwood based on what he's shown so far, but I wouldn't say it's a disaster or anything has 'backfired massively'.

(yet)

Can somebody please explain why our players consistently show poor passing crossing and touch skills, and by consistently I mean pretty much every game not all the time but most of the time, is it coaching/training? ( or are they just lacking in skills). And is this the fault of the manager?

All 3. I've been to all the home games and apart from the Manure game and an hour against Chelski the performances have been distinctly average down the Lane.You get the odd bit of class here and there but overall, so far that is, average and just bloody frustrating is my assessment. IMO

Can somebody please explain why our players consistently show poor passing crossing and touch skills, and by consistently I mean pretty much every game not all the time but most of the time, is it coaching/training? ( or are they just lacking in skills). And is this the fault of the manager?

Coaching.

That's the problem - Moyes is probably suffering from it now - 70% of a team is the coaching staff IMO; All of Fergie's backroom staff built the club and were shown the door by the ginge, look at them now.

There's no doubt that (unfortunately) Sherwood, Freund & Ferdinand are lacking in coaching skills compared to what you'd expect form a "top 4" club, as they're relatively inexperienced.

That's my issue mainly, and no top coaches will want to work for a rookie (especially if he isn't joking about his confidence at times!). Benefit of someone like LVG is the backroom staff more than the coach, and there's not much getting round that.

There's only so far "I know you're good, so erm... play good?" will get a player (Ade's motivation quoted loosely)

As much as i would like academy prospects to come through, people here need to understand that we can
not afford taking chances with younglings.
Yes, Southampton have done extremy good over the last decade or so, but then again, its their second season at the top flight and lesser leagues are hardly packed with world beaters.
So what i want to say is that we can not take chances. Were a champions league calibre club. No room for error.

For instance, lets say a la Wigan plays City or chav cunts. They know there is so little chance that they might win so they do the YOLO thingy.
Whereas is we play them can somebody reaaaally say we shoul use coulthirst, veljkovic, mcevoy etc?

So dont hate managers over not using cool prospects and wanting made players.

Peace.
I wish no hatred. I turned 19 today, means next year is 20.
It sounds old. :walkercry:

As much as i would like academy prospects to come through, people here need to understand that we can
Yes, Southampton have done extremy good over the last decade or so, but then again, its their second season at the top flight and lesser leagues are hardly packed with world beaters.
So what i want to say is that we can not take chances. Were a champions league calibre club. No room for error.

For instance, lets say a la Wigan plays City or chav cunts. They know there is so little chance that they might win so they do the YOLO thingy.
Whereas is we play them can somebody reaaaally say we shoul use coulthirst, veljkovic, mcevoy etc?

So dont hate managers over not using cool prospects and wanting made players.

Peace.

That's what the Europa League is normally for though I guess, or the League Cup.

If we can't swap one youthy into our team in the league and still expect to win against a side we'd normally beat, then we have more serious problems than expected

Yes, Southampton have dont extremy good over the last decade or so, but then again, its their first season at the top flight and lesser leagues are hardly packed with world beaters.

Peace.
That's what the Europa League is normally for though I guess, or the League Cup.

If we can't swap one youthy into our team in the league and still expect to win against a side we'd normally beat, then we have more serious problems than expected
Can we? I dont think so.
But then again, im no manager.

Ridiculous that people are saying we need to sign 3 or so new players. We just spent 100 million to build a squad, we've got two strikers, that both in form are surely 20+ goal a season strikers. Two of the biggest young prospects in world football that are like 20/21 years old. Sandro Capoue Paulinho and Dembele... what other teams in the league have FOUR centre mids that good? fighting for 2 places. Half our defence is injured and yet we still have Vertonghen and Dawson at CB.
The squad is there, We've probably got the third best squad in the league behind Chelsea and City, If we had a mourinho or a Ferguson, perhaps a Van Gaal... We'd almost certainly be 6+ points better off at this point.
Capoue and Sandro ? How many game have they been fit for us this season ?

Paulinho and Dembele ? They are good player but a bad combination. It is just like Gerrard and Lampard for England, both good individual but doesn't work as a pair.

We need to replace Modrid in CM, the team wouldn't play much better until we did that.

I'm in agreement with those of you who think we have a big enough and capable enough squad as it is, with out another summer of getting loads of new names in. But, is there anyone that doesn't think we need a new LB. seriously rose just doesn't cut it ( and he seems injury prone)
And, why should we need to replace lloris/ verts?? Don't sell. ( Liverpool- Suarez ???)

He's good but is he that good? We are starting to pin all our hopes on him just like we did with Bale. Not slating him I think he's a great player but I would like to know his pass completion % if anyone has it? Because he has been invisible and poor in some games (again just like Bale was). He can't do it all on his own.

Capoue and Sandro ? How many game have they been fit for us this season ?

Paulinho and Dembele ? They are good player but a bad combination. It is just like Gerrard and Lampard for England, both good individual but doesn't work as a pair.

We need to replace Modrid in CM, the team wouldn't play much better until we did that.

Sandro and Capoue's respective absences have been felt the hardest, in my opinion (well, besides Bale's). Capoue's injury against Norwich completely altered the game plan.

They have a skill set none of our other CM's possess-- spursy that they're both injured most of the time.

Verts and lloris. The only 2 I think would walk into the teams above us. Sandro and walker perhaps ...

We need a champion team I agree but until Erikson, lamella and co come good and to their potential we will always be that little bit behind.

I think those margins were chasms. The very basics were wrong:
Shape and high line.
Set piece/corner taking.
Creativity.
1st team selection.

He was playing last seasons loanee rejects over players like Lamela who scored 15 goals in 30 games in a top league and was our record signing. He was playing Soldado up front with uninteligent players like Lennon and Townshend CROSSING to him. CROSSING!>!>!hoifhowefhiweqfoih3*(&(*^R*(

There are 3 fucking men on him and we are crossing to a lone Soldado? Not just that...Players with terrible crossing ability?

AVB was a charlatan. He did not have the first clue about any aspect of the game apart from he talked a good one. He ruined Lamela, Soldado etc. He gave an attacking assist machine water carrying duties and ruined Holtby too. He gave confused role to Pauly. He made Dembo a dour DM. He had Towny shooting on sight and he has NO record of goalscoring...

It's painful how bad he was. We got where we are because this team IS a team capable of winning the title when teams like Utd are in transition and the big 4 drop points. But we were given no chance with AVB, and Sherwood is being mugged off by wingers and wingbacks so he wont last either.

Townsend was shooting on sight before Villas Boas and will still be doing it for many years after.

Also I think one day you'll look back on this assessment of Villas Boas and be quite embarrassed.

I'm in agreement with those of you who think we have a big enough and capable enough squad as it is, with out another summer of getting loads of new names in. But, is there anyone that doesn't think we need a new LB. seriously rose just doesn't cut it ( and he seems injury prone)
And, why should we need to replace lloris/ verts?? Don't sell. ( Liverpool- Suarez ???)

A new left back would be a minor improvement. Rose is surely in the top ... 10% even higher? You're making it sound like a new left back is the missing piece, that'll suddenly make us finish 3 places higher.

Need i remind that, in general, we've had a very good defensive record this season... its just offset by the City and Liverpool games.
in those 3 games we conceded 16 goals. If you took out 12 of those, we'd have conceded the least amount of goals in the league. Obviously its easy to say that about any team, but the fact is, our defence is fine. when we lost 6-0 to city, it wasn't because 1 player, or one area had a shit game.. the whole team was shit. And city are scoring for fun this season.

Anyway, in summary, no. I don't think we are particularly desperate for a left back.

Back
Top Bottom