An interesting thought....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looking at our season now, with only 10 games or so left in the league, we're on 53 points and in 5th.

People have spoken about how well the teams above us have played, and in a season passed we'd be 2nd or 3rd on current points. That's a fair enough point and I don't disagree as it's purely factual.

The thing that's making me think is this: We are sort of an 'average' squad right now, not in terms of "being average", but more that we don't have a stand-out player and can't be seen as a "one man team", mainly because no "one man" has been outstanding this year (Lloris has played well, but GKs are normally exempt from that status), but perhaps more because we've got a squad now that has 11+ players all of an equal level of talent.

Now, taking that into consideration, you have to think that we've been mostly crap this season - we've got the points without necessarily deserving them. Several scrappy/lucky 1-0's here and there and so on.

Considering Redknapp would always say "we played well and didn't deserve to lose". This season has been the opposite..

Liverpoop are only 6 points or so ahead, but have been lauded for their performance this season...

So, with that in mind, are we actually a title winning team that's just missing form/tactics/training?

Title winning? No.

Maybe with a couple of good defensive additions in the Summer then maybe, also, a decent manager, and not some chancer.

Waits for the angry replies from Timmie's fanclub.

We remind me of the gooners last season. In most of their games they were pretty poor, but kept on scraping over the line.

If we can get a creative midfielder, a LB, a real manager, and get Lamela playing at the same level as he was with Roma, I think we'd have an outside chance of the title next season. We look poor because we have nobody to run things in the middle.

We remind me of the gooners last season. In most of their games they were pretty poor, but kept on scraping over the line.

If we can get a creative midfielder, a LB, a real manager, and get Lamela playing at the same level as he was with Roma, I think we'd have an outside chance of the title next season. We look poor because we have nobody to run things in the middle.

I agree with all points but the Creative Midfielder, we already have Eriksen & Holtby. What we really need is decent Full back cover & another CB (Probably Caulker when Cardiff inevitably go down)

Title winning? Are you drunk? As sir Alex showed so well, it takes more than good quality players to be a title winner. We are not.

LvG and a couple of key signings? Who knows....?

I agree with all points but the Creative Midfielder, we already have Eriksen & Holtby. What we really need is decent Full back cover & another CB (Probably Caulker when Cardiff inevitably go down)

I meant a creative central midfielder. Someone to dictate the way we play.

I'd love to see Caulker come back. Massively underrated.

We're missing a lot of things but one of the things I'm getting annoyed with is Eriksen not playing centrally so he can pull all the right strings.

Title winning? No.

Maybe with a couple of good defensive additions in the Summer then maybe, also, a decent manager, and not some chancer.
I think it's organisation in deffence, today (Cardiff) was abysmal, one of the most disorganised and hap-hazard I've seen us defend, most teams would have punished us, and Lloris pulled off some great saves too.

Perhaps it's not starting the same back 4 week in week out, perhaps it's 'the tottenham way', but I'd really appreciate someone to whip our defence into shape.

I think we need a decent fullback. Danny Rose does not belong in a title challenging team (not that I think we're likely to challenge)

Like the guy, but he wouldn't get into any team currently above us, or most teams directly below us.
Ricardo Rodriguez is the kind of player I want playing for us I think but he might be out of reach (especially if he has a good WC)

With all due respect, we someone who has more technical nous than the Weasel that's for sure!!

I think we need a decent fullback. Danny Rose does not belong in a title challenging team (not that I think we're likely to challenge)

Like the guy, but he wouldn't get into any team currently above us, or most teams directly below us.

Think Fryers has been better than him. Obviously a bit nervous, but at least he can put a cross in.

Thought Rose started the season well, but his final ball has been dreadful.

If you think about it though, we aren't that far off the pace, so my thought was:

Imagine if we scrape wins from our remaining games and those above stuff up. Would it be bizarre to say that, in the ridiculous world where we finish on 83pts, we were actually a bit crap all season?

If you think about it though, we aren't that far off the pace, so my thought was:

Imagine if we scrape wins from our remaining games and those above stuff up. Would it be bizarre to say that, in the ridiculous world where we finish on 83pts, we were actually a bit crap all season?

That's football though isn't it. Full of ifs and buts.

On your original post, I don't think we are that far away at all. We have plenty of quality players through the squad, but we see time and again that they don't apply themselves.

That's football though isn't it. Full of ifs and buts.

On your original post, I don't think we are that far away at all. We have plenty of quality players through the squad, but we see time and again that they don't apply themselves.

Definitely, I don't think one player (except Hugo) has been in consistently good form all season, closely followed by Adebayor (albeit a fraction of a season).

For all of the Levy/ENIC bashing that gets thrown about, we're surely in a good situation if none of our players are performing, we constantly have injuries, and our manager in a complete novice without the right quals (yet) but we can still be around the same pace (6pts off) as a high-flying version of Liverpool/Woolwich

I thought under AVB we were fine margins away from real "big club" football. The sort of football that has the inherent quality and consistency to knock off win after win through most games, and give top 4 rivals a good examination as well.

We have underperformed all season and are still only a short way off of those clubs. I do firmly believe with the right manager (who can organise and instil the right mentality) we have the capability to gatecrash the party at the top.

More and more Im convinced its not Sherwood. I was convinced it could be AVB for a while, but he failed to deliver upon early promise. Looking at it now I think someone like LVG, with the experience, gravitas and high levels of expectation and discipline is the sort of man we need to make that difference.

I thought under AVB we were fine margins away from real "big club" football. The sort of football that has the inherent quality and consistency to knock off win after win through most games, and give top 4 rivals a good examination as well.

I think those margins were chasms. The very basics were wrong:
Shape and high line.
Set piece/corner taking.
Creativity.
1st team selection.

He was playing last seasons loanee rejects over players like Lamela who scored 15 goals in 30 games in a top league and was our record signing. He was playing Soldado up front with uninteligent players like Lennon and Townshend CROSSING to him. CROSSING!>!>!hoifhowefhiweqfoih3*(&(*^R*(

There are 3 fucking men on him and we are crossing to a lone Soldado? Not just that...Players with terrible crossing ability?

AVB was a charlatan. He did not have the first clue about any aspect of the game apart from he talked a good one. He ruined Lamela, Soldado etc. He gave an attacking assist machine water carrying duties and ruined Holtby too. He gave confused role to Pauly. He made Dembo a dour DM. He had Towny shooting on sight and he has NO record of goalscoring...

It's painful how bad he was. We got where we are because this team IS a team capable of winning the title when teams like Utd are in transition and the big 4 drop points. But we were given no chance with AVB, and Sherwood is being mugged off by wingers and wingbacks so he wont last either.

i agree with the OP. some of you are talking shit.
Our squad is massive and packed with talent. With the right manager we'd easily be a couple of places higher in the league.

Back
Top Bottom