An interesting thought....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
zNpOp9i.gif

He is decent going forward but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired, he might develop his defensive capabilities as he matures as a player but I think the fact that he started a left midfielder will work against him in that sense, if he had been training as a left back all his career I would feel slightly more comfortable that he could get where he needs to be.
Ashley Cole *spit* is IMHO one of the best LBs in a generation or two. Started out as a striker I believe, but found his way into the team as a LB that was "Good going forward, a liability in defence".

Turned out pretty well in the end for him, didnt it?

I completely agree Rose isnt in the top 2%, and I completely agree he isnt pulling up any trees at the moment, but I think he bares enough resemblence to Cole in his early days to warrant some patience. He is a very robust player, strong and aggressive. He is alright going forward and can, I believe, learn to defend better. I do think he has a lot of potential, and think he could progress similarly to Walker with us.

I think if he was played in a more systemic approach, where he had a clearly defined role and relationship with other players it could do him a great deal of good as well. He is to raw/immature to be playing with the freedom to decide what he should do and when.

That said, Id certainly still look at buying a LB. Fryers hasnt impressed me at all, and even if he were to come good it will take time - he certainly isnt ready yet, IMO. Which means we have Rose and only Rose which is simply not enough. Id like an older head to come in to be a Naybet to Roses King.

That said, Id certainly still look at buying a LB. Fryers hasnt impressed me at all, and even if he were to come good it will take time - he certainly isnt ready yet, IMO. Which means we have Rose and only Rose which is simply not enough. Id like an older head to come in to be a Naybet to Roses King.

:bae:

:adethumbup:

:bentley:

I love Ekotto but Im not sure he is that man.

I did hear rumour Cole might be available though! :adewtf:

Get Justin Edinburgh on the blower, lol.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's that many great LB's still around of a mature age. One of the names that people would bark about is Roberto Carlos (who might still be playing at a decrepid old age), but he wasn't actually that good - his Le Tournoir de France goal made him famous but he was over hyped to an extent, as are many left backs.

Carlos was never much of a defender, was he?

Id like someone to come in and give us depth, while giving Rose a mentor. Doesnt even need to be amazing, "Competent" would be fine so long as he could do a job and also impart knowledge and experience

Carlos was never much of a defender, was he?

Id like someone to come in and give us depth, while giving Rose a mentor. Doesnt even need to be amazing, "Competent" would be fine so long as he could do a job and also impart knowledge and experience

:baletroll:"Danny, get back on the wing - left back sssuuuucckkks"

He'll be fine with good coaching. Bring in some sort of dutch mastermind with good coaching staff and he'll be decent I'm sure.

LB's are one of those positions that have been dicked around with during our 'vision transition' from AVB to TS so can't blame the guys for looking a little lost I guess

Townsend was shooting on sight before Villas Boas and will still be doing it for many years after.

Also I think one day you'll look back on this assessment of Villas Boas and be quite embarrassed.

When Defoe was top of the scoring charts around Nov/Dec a few seasons back, I started a thread on another forum that AVB was being mugged by Defoe, Lennon, Hudd etc. I had a lot of pushback, and before you know it Hudd was sold, Lennon is still playing like a tit, Defoe scored 1 prem goal in a calender year, Ade had the worst drought of his career, AVB sacked etc. I knew the cracks even when we were flying under AVB: He did what all sacked managers have done before him: Put his faith in our soft (physical and mental) core of English attacking players. That thread got deleted by the mods once the dust had settled.

He failed at Chelsea. His one breakout season was on the back of another managers team. Spurs was the first club he spent more than one season at. I don't know what you base your opinion on that he is a good manager. He spent almost 2 seasons putting square pegs in round holes at Tottenham. Siggy on the left? Playing the highline with Daws? One of the slowest defenders off the mark? He made him captain then tried to sell him. Then he made Lennon captain? He played Ade with the kids after his brother died. He had Lennon and Townsend crossing to a lone Soldado who had 3 men on him?

I have faith in this team. But only if we drop the painful wing/wingback play post Bale. Lets face it...Even with Bale AVB made our wingplay lopsided and our strikers were an afterthought. AVB and Defoe leaving is the best thing for this club. We have a manager in Tim who has a swimming certificate, the good one where you have to wear your pajamas, and even he is doing a better job.

Last edited:
When Defoe was top of the scoring charts around Nov/Dec a few seasons back, I started a thread on another forum that AVB was being mugged by Defoe, Lennon, Hudd etc. I had a lot of pushback, and before you know it Hudd was sold, Lennon is still playing like a tit, Defoe scored 1 prem goal in a calender year, Ade had the worst drought of his career, AVB sacked etc. I knew the cracks even when we were flying under AVB: He did what all sacked managers have done before him: Put his faith in our soft (physical and mental) core of English attacking players. That thread got deleted by the mods once the dust had settled.

He failed at Chelsea. His one breakout season was on the back of another managers team. Spurs was the first club he spent more than one season at. I don't know what you base your opinion on that he is a good manager. He spent almost 2 seasons putting square pegs in round holes at Tottenham. Siggy on the left? Playing the highline with Daws? One of the slowest defenders off the mark? He made him captain then tried to sell him. Then he made Lennon captain? He played Ade with the kids after his brother died. He had Lennon and Townsend crossing to a lone Soldado who had 3 men on him?

I have faith in this team. But only if we drop the painful wing/wingback play post Bale. Lets face it...Even with Bale AVB made our wingplay lopsided and our strikers were an afterthought. AVB and Defoe leaving is the best thing for this club. We have a manager in Tim who has a swimming certificate, the good one where you have to wear your pajamas, and even he is doing a better job.
For reasons entirely beyond me Blanchflower Blanchflower just doesn't seem to want to let go of AVB, even to the point of irrationality. But I personally don't see the point in longing for something that's not coming back. For instance, I have always maintained that we shouldn't have binned Harry until Levy had made sure he had a sure fire upgrade lined up,but once Harry went and AVB came in there was no purpose in looking to the past. For me, football is about the present and the future. The past cannot change the present, but the present can change the future. So I only ever worry about who the manager is in the present and whether or not he's the man for the future. If there's one thing we can be absolutely certain of is that Levy won't be bringing back any of his sacked managers anytime soon, so I really don't see the purpose in lamenting the loss of AVB (or Harry or BMJ for that matter) since "what could have been" isn't going to be of any use to us going forward.

We have a manager in Tim who has a swimming certificate, the good one where you have to wear your pajamas, and even he is doing a better job.

Although there is some merit in your assessment of AVB, I can't agree with this one statement.

I think some people's disdain towards AVB is convincing them Tim is better, rather than looking at the reality of the situation.

Although there is some merit in your assessment of AVB, I can't agree with this one statement.

I think some people's disdain towards AVB is convincing them Tim is better, rather than looking at the reality of the situation.
Comparably average I think would be the fairest way of putting it, both in results and in terms of play. Once Adebayor gets injured or hits a poor run of form, the very same people will be calling for Titan Tim's head.

Comparably average I think would be the fairest way of putting it, both in results and in terms of play. Once Adebayor gets injured or hits a poor run of form, the very same people will be calling for Titan Tim's head.

That's a big variable that would fuck up the party to be fair.

An additional consideration is that I'm quite sure AVB did equally as well in the league and wasn't bad at all (on the Sherwood scale of points being more important than play) when you take the array of games that weren't affected by the Europa League.

The Norwich game was there to disprove the theory, and all TS did was prove it through Naivety, taking the whole fapping squad to russia to lose and then play the same players a few days later and lose a previously dead-cert 3 points.

Tim isn't the solution, he's a distraction

When Defoe was top of the scoring charts around Nov/Dec a few seasons back, I started a thread on another forum that AVB was being mugged by Defoe, Lennon, Hudd etc. I had a lot of pushback, and before you know it Hudd was sold, Lennon is still playing like a tit, Defoe scored 1 prem goal in a calender year, Ade had the worst drought of his career, AVB sacked etc.

That was in 2009/10......what the fuck are you going on about????

For reasons entirely beyond me Blanchflower Blanchflower just doesn't seem to want to let go of AVB, even to the point of irrationality. But I personally don't see the point in longing for something that's not coming back. For instance, I have always maintained that we shouldn't have binned Harry until Levy had made sure he had a sure fire upgrade lined up,but once Harry went and AVB came in there was no purpose in looking to the past. For me, football is about the present and the future. The past cannot change the present, but the present can change the future. So I only ever worry about who the manager is in the present and whether or not he's the man for the future. If there's one thing we can be absolutely certain of is that Levy won't be bringing back any of his sacked managers anytime soon, so I really don't see the purpose in lamenting the loss of AVB (or Harry or BMJ for that matter) since "what could have been" isn't going to be of any use to us going forward.

Whether Villas Boas career from now last 5 years, 10 years or 20 - he will over the course of it win more trophies than THFC.

We'll all look back and wonder why the fuck he couldn't achieve it at Spurs.

I won't say I told you so, because I'm telling you now.

Tim got us scoring (Ade). Don't get me wrong, Tim will be sacked because he thinks Rose, Lennon, Townsend, Fryers and Naughton are good enough. But I would take him over AVB because he's not as ginger.

Back
Top Bottom