Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shut up cunts, what is this forum turning into?

What do you want to see here exactly? Indepth analysis of every game? Football experts who dissect the game minute by minute? There's no games on and the majority of us known next to nothing about football.

Most people come on here because they're bored and have opinions, cunt offs are inevitable and can be funny. I'm not sure what you're expecting or wanting

Nope. Its not an assumption that he was wanted at Villa, Utd and Ipswich, its a fact.
The assumption was that he was offered a good contract from each of those three teams. I know he was wanted by them.

Maybe. Or maybe we can assume that he would have been paid on average, what the average top footballer was paid at the time. That makes sense to me.
The point is YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS OFFERED!!!
So....while telling me I have no idea what the Utd offers were, you talk about the only "real offer" coming from Woolwich.
What is your assumption based on...the assumption that had he joined Utd, Villa or Ipswich, his family would have suffered, and if he joined Woolwich, they would have been fine? Ive said above, my assumption is a logical one, based on what footballers were paid at the time.
So again...what is your assumption based on, other than denial because you like him.
No.
I said "if" his only real offer was from Woolwich .....

I never mentioned his family although it surely is possible that they influenced his decision right? Oh and your assumption is about as logical as seeing a UFO and saying, "I don't know what that is flying there so therefore it must be an alien spaceship." Sure, it might be an alien spaceship but seeing as you don't know what it is, are you in a position to make a logical assumption with so little information?

Yet you dont know what the offers were. He might have been on less at Woolwich, but didnt fancy travelling or moving house so took it. I think thats possible, because I base my assumption on that whereever he went, he would have been paid 4-5 times the average wage anyway.....as thats what top footballers were paid at the time.

As I said, many, many times....I believe he would have been offered a decent contract at the other clubs too.
You know why I believe that? I base it on the average wage top footballers were offered at the time. He was a 32 year old keeper.
If people are going to slate Spurs for thinking he was at the end of his career, it makes no sense to then start agreeing that 32 was old for a keeper and Jennings also thought his career was coming to an end.
You think that might have been the case but you don't know ... that's the point I'm trying to make.

The whole point was that Jennings hadnt even peaked yet, and was forced out. He said himself that his best years were at age 36/37....yes, while a gooner. Legend.
So that's the decision makers at the time who are at fault. Pat lost his job ... had several offers ... decided to go to Woolwich. You and I don't know why he made that decision and yet you hate him for it without knowing most of the facts (to do with the contracts etc).

Of course Bale didnt give a fuck about us. Which is why Im happy to call him a lying cunt while others hero worship him. Its really hilarious that you have just talked yourself into a position where you will look very silly if you were to slate Sol Campbell for what he did...I mean...do you think he gives a shit what you thought of his move? So by your own argument, that makes it ok to you.
I still like Bale because he was a great player for us and we got a world record fee for him and while it can be argued that we didn't spend it well, he had nothing to do with that. He never said he was always a Spurs fan and he never told us that he wasn't leaving ... can you see where I'm going with this?
Sol Campbell on the other hand screwed us over. He lied to the fans and he engineered it so that the club never got a fee when he left. If you can't see the difference there, then you're not as smart as I always thought you were Sammy.

Go ahead...if Eriksen joins Woolwich you can all pat him on the back too, I couldnt give a fuck.
That's just stupid and I think you know it. We are fans. They are players. Sometimes the players can be fans but that's rare. Usually they don't have the same love for Spurs as you, I or anyone on this m/board do. If I was 25 years younger and had enough footballing talent to play for Spurs, I wouldn't go to Real, Barca, ManU or any other club unless Spurs wanted me to leave ... and even then, I would never play for Woolwich no matter how much they wanted to pay me. But I am a Spurs fan. So unless Pat was a massive Spurs fan who hated Woolwich, expecting him to do the same is just silly.

But we are all allowed to have our own opinions.

Last edited:
"Same over here unfortunately"

2uz8o6w.png

Bell end.

The assumption was that he was offered a good contract from each of those three teams. I know he was wanted by them.

Yet Ive stated a million times that my assumption was based on the average top flight footballers wage.
Could you please explain to me why it is you think that he was offered sub standard contracts by three clubs, yet a bumper package by Woolwich.
In my opinion its normal to assume that while there may have been differences between what he was offered, I doubt three clubs would have left him on the bread line, while one offered him a handsome life.

The point is YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS OFFERED!!!

And my point is that I can offer a reasonable explanation as to why I think he would have been paid well enough had he gone elsewhere. See above.....again.

No.
I said "if" his only real offer was from Woolwich .....

And my opinion is based on the fact that I dont think the arse offer was a hundred times better than the other clubs....see above why I have come to that conclusion...again.

I never mentioned his family although it surely is possible that they influenced his decision right? Oh and your assumption is about as logical as seeing a UFO and saying, "I don't know what that is flying there so therefore it must be an alien spaceship." Sure, it might be an alien spaceship but seeing as you don't know what it is, are you in a position to make a logical assumption with so little information?

I think its fairly logical to assume a top flight goalkeeper would have been able to feed his family on a Man Utd wage during the late 70´s. No, I do not know what they offered, but I have explained why I assume that he would have been ok had he gone there, and why I dont think Woolwich were kind enough to pay him some sky high wage packet, well above the average, and well above what everyone else was willing to pay.
Again, please see above why I have formed that opinion, and why I think its logical.

So that's the decision makers at the time who are at fault. Pat lost his job ... had several offers ... decided to go to Woolwich. You and I don't know why he made that decision and yet you hate him for it without knowing most of the facts (to do with the contracts etc).

Ive explained that why I believe he chose to go to Woolwich. No I dont know why he made that decision, but I dont believe there were good enough reasons. I believe he simply wanted to piss off the club. Ive explained why I think he could have joined another and been fine economically. See above...again.

I still like Bale because he was a great player for us and we got a world record fee for him and while it can be argued that we didn't spend it well, he had nothing to do with that. He never said he was always a Spurs fan and he never told us that he wasn't leaving ... can you see where I'm going with this?

"We set our agenda at the start of the season to qualify for the Champions League. We want to finish in the top four and it will feel like a disappointment if we don't get there,"
"The club has grown every year and I've become a better player every year. We've had a taste of Champions League football and that's where we want to be again. That's where the club needs to be to get to the next level. That's what we're trying to do this season to lift the club to better things."
"I want to play at the highest level possible and be playing against the best teams in the world. I think the club is going in the right direction. All our objectives are the same, we just have to try to achieve them now,"
"We're all working well as a team. We're all working together. The club is going in the right direction, bringing in better players every season,"
"The likes of Mousa [Dembélé] and Jan [Vertonghen] have been fantastic additions to the squad and I'm sure we'll bring in a few more players into the squad again this summer. It's just a matter of progressing for everyone and reaching our targets."
"Everything has changed. When I first arrived there was talk of a new training ground and a new stadium. As the years have gone in, it's got better and better. The training ground has happened and next it'll be the stadium. The club is growing and I think it's growing within its own means,"
"We're all of a similar age. We're all around our mid-20s. We've been playing together for three, four, five years," he said. "We've got a good firm English base there as well, which is always important for a club like Tottenham. We're heading in the right direction and hopefully there is still a lot more to come from the team."

Gareth Bale, May 2013....two months before he refused to turn up for training in order to force the club to sell him to Madrid.

Sol Campbell on the other hand screwed us over. He lied to the fans and he engineered it so that the club never got a fee when he left. If you can't see the difference there, then you're not as smart as I always thought you were Sammy.

Yet you stated that you was "astounded" by people being pissed off by a footballers decision. And that do we really think they give a shit what the fans think.....so, maybe you should take your own advise and accept Campbell´s decision. Told you you would look silly.

That's just stupid and I think you know it. We are fans. They are players. Sometimes the players can be fans but that's rare. Usually they don't have the same love for Spurs as you, I or anyone on this m/board do. If I was 25 years younger and had enough footballing talent to play for Spurs, I wouldn't go to Real, Barca, ManU or any other club unless Spurs wanted me to leave ... and even then, I would never play for Woolwich no matter how much they wanted to pay me. But I am a Spurs fan. So unless Pat was a massive Spurs fan who hated Woolwich, expecting him to do the same is just silly.

If Eriksen or Lloris joined Woolwich, I would fucking slate them, and they would be booed massively when they came to the Lane. Maybe you think 36,000 fans would be being "silly", while you stood there alone applauding them for their services. More fool you.

Last edited:
Damn, every time I see an update on this thread, I get all hopeful and open this thread thinking someone is posting some interview where Ade claims that he will give his all for Spurs and score lots of goals.

Can't the arguing continue in some other separate thread?

sammyspurs sammyspurs You are becoming a master of twisting what I'm trying to say into something completely different. The bottom line is that you don't know why Pat joined Woolwich over the other three teams, you don't know what those three teams were offering (whether he and his family could live off the offer is frankly irreverent ... if it was a bad offer and there was a better one on the table then he'd be a fool to not consider it), you seem to think a statement from Bale saying the the future at Spurs looks bright actually means that if Real Madrid come and offer more money then anyone has ever offered for a player and a wage more then 3 times higher then Spurs could pay him that he'd never leave.

If every player that played for Spurs was a Spurs fan through and through, you'd have a point. But that's not the case. That's the real world that we're living in. If Woolwich came in for Eriksen or Lloris then I could only hope that Levy puts such a big asking price on them that the peado would look elsewhere. Because if you expect any of our players who didn't grow up as Spurs fans to not consider a move to a rival purely because of what the fans think then you're fooling yourself.

Oh and if you think I'd applaud a player of ours who left us to join Woolwich, then you're an even bigger fool. If they did a Sol Campbell, I'd boo. If Spurs got rid of them and they then joined the scum, I wouldn't acknowledge them at all.

Now twist that.

At least the people arguing are talking about Spurs instead of whimpering on about how dissappointed they are by the thread.
No one really cares about your massive disappointment at having to click a button and not see an Ade interview.

sammyspurs sammyspurs You are becoming a master of twisting what I'm trying to say into something completely different. The bottom line is that you don't know why Pat joined Woolwich over the other three teams, you don't know what those three teams were offering (whether he and his family could live off the offer is frankly irreverent ... if it was a bad offer and there was a better one on the table then he'd be a fool to not consider it), you seem to think a statement from Bale saying the the future at Spurs looks bright actually means that if Real Madrid come and offer more money then anyone has ever offered for a player and a wage more then 3 times higher then Spurs could pay him that he'd never leave.

If every player that played for Spurs was a Spurs fan through and through, you'd have a point. But that's not the case. That's the real world that we're living in. If Woolwich came in for Eriksen or Lloris then I could only hope that Levy puts such a big asking price on them that the peado would look elsewhere. Because if you expect any of our players who didn't grow up as Spurs fans to not consider a move to a rival purely because of what the fans think then you're fooling yourself.

Oh and if you think I'd applaud a player of ours who left us to join Woolwich, then you're an even bigger fool. If they did a Sol Campbell, I'd boo. If Spurs got rid of them and they then joined the scum, I wouldn't acknowledge them at all.

Now twist that.

Nothing to twist, You didnt say anything that made any real sense in countering the points I made.

Bale was deceitful. If you think that he had no idea he was going to leave Spurs when he said those words in May, you are very naive, or simply turning a blind eye when it suits you.
The club didnt want to sell him. AVB expected him at training, and he didnt turn up, which the manager condemned as the "wrong behaviour".

The other part, I read as I should only be aggreived at players joining Woolwich if they are lifelong Spurs fans (a stance I guess you are using as your "get out of jail free pass", regarding you having the right to be angry at Sol Campbell).

I disagree. I will boo any player who pulls on their shirt straight after leaving Spurs...you can take your silent protest and shove it as far as Im concerned, thats your problem.
I feel sorry for any Spurs fan who would feel nothing but apathy if Eriksen or Lloris lined up for them against us next season....on the basis that they didnt grow up as Spurs fans.

Also Aussie, Im trying to answer all your points and back them up but not getting the same back.

I asked you earlier what makes you think it likely that he would not have been able to support his family on the contracts at Villa, Utd and Ipswich.
And in that case why you think its likely that Woolwich were willing to pay him so much more money than everyone else, seeing as if that was the scenario, the differences between them and the other three clubs offers must have been pretty astronomical.

Please dont just say "you dont know what was offered".

Im aware of that, and thats not what Im asking here. Im asking you to give me a reasonable answer as to what could make it likely that three clubs offers could have left him struggling financially, but arsenals offer would have been a much, much higher one?

I doubt three clubs would have left him on the bread line, while one offered him a handsome life.

But one of them was 'up North!', which is apparently a nuclear wasteland where we dig in the soil for grubs to eat, while the South is apparently living it up on caviar and self-fluffing pillows. Pat couldn't do without those pillows, be reasonable. He only spent 13 years of his life with us after all, not like it meant anything. A quick fling.

:vdvcry:

Nothing to twist, You didnt say anything that made any real sense in countering the points I made.
I've felt that same way about your argument from the get-go.

You hate a player because he made a decision you didn't like based on a whole heap of stuff you have no actual knowledge on. "Sure he could have moved to Manchester and lived on the wage I think they might have offered him to, I can only assume, play in the first team for, and I'm making an informed guess here based on my extensive knowledge on stuff I don't know, 8 seasons because they obviously had Mystic Meg tell them that's how long he'd play for."
Far be it for me to point out the holes in your, for want of a better word, logic.
Also Aussie, Im trying to answer all your points and back them up but not getting the same back.

I asked you earlier what makes you think it likely that he would not have been able to support his family on the contracts at Villa, Utd and Ipswich.
And in that case why you think its likely that Woolwich were willing to pay him so much more money than everyone else, seeing as if that was the scenario, the differences between them and the other three clubs offers must have been pretty astronomical.

Please dont just say "you dont know what was offered".

Im aware of that, and thats not what Im asking here. Im asking you to give me a reasonable answer as to what could make it likely that three clubs offers could have left him struggling financially, but arsenals offer would have been a much, much higher one?
I'm not trying to convince that he was offered more or less anywhere. Just that it's as logical a conclusion based on no actual knowledge of any of the offers or the thought process of Pat Jennings. For all you, I or anyone here knows, the Woolwich chairman might have had pictures of Pat blowing a chimp while dressed up as a clown and blackmailed him into joining. That's as logical a conclusion as anything you suggest based upon no actual knowledge of the reasons Pat Jennings joined Woolwich over 3 other clubs. So, by definition, your assumption is as illogical as Pat-chimp-clown-gate.

Really good debate, some very good points all round.

Jennings is still a Spurs legend in my eyes. My personal view is that he made a mistake, and he knows he made a mistake and regrets it. We all make mistakes.

Just my feelings, no quotes/proof etc. I'd like to think he'd do things differently in another life.

Really good debate, some very good points all round.

Jennings is still a Spurs legend in my eyes. My personal view is that he made a mistake, and he knows he made a mistake and regrets it. We all make mistakes.

Just my feelings, no quotes/proof etc. I'd like to think he'd do things differently in another life.

Good post.

For the record, I like Jennings....just hate what he did.

Back
Top Bottom