Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You hate a player because he made a decision you didn't like based on a whole heap of stuff you have no actual knowledge on.

I dont hate him, I dislike what he did.

I'm not trying to convince that he was offered more or less anywhere. Just that it's as logical a conclusion based on no actual knowledge of any of the offers or the thought process of Pat Jennings. For all you, I or anyone here knows, the Woolwich chairman might have had pictures of Pat blowing a chimp while dressed up as a clown and blackmailed him into joining. That's as logical a conclusion as anything you suggest based upon no actual knowledge of the reasons Pat Jennings joined Woolwich over 3 other clubs. So, by definition, your assumption is as illogical as Pat-chimp-clown-gate.

Which begs the question, why you think you have some kind of inside knowledge on what went on behind the scenes with Sol Campbell then?
Oh....no, you dont do you. You have formed a logical opinion of his behaviour from what you do know eh?

How do you know The Mafia didnt put a gun to Campbells head and made him do what he did....?

Thats basically what you have come down to, yet you are still only applying it where you see fit. And you call that logic?
You think its as logical to assume that Pat Jennings blew a chimp and was being blackmailed as it is to assume that Spurs fucked him over and he took a bit of revenge?

Is this happening?

Last edited:
Which begs the question, why you think you have some kind of inside knowledge on what went on behind the scenes with Sol Campbell then?
Oh....no, you dont do you. You have formed a logical opinion of his behaviour from what you do know eh?

How do you know The Mafia didnt put a gun to Campbells head and made him do what he did....?

Thats basically what you have come down to, yet you are still only applying it where you see fit. And you call that logic?
You think its as logical to assume that Pat Jennings blew a chimp and was being blackmailed as it is to assume that Spurs fucked him over and he took a bit of revenge?

Is this happening?
You've got me. I will never rant on a message board about Sol Campbell ever. Of cause I haven't ever ranted on a message board about Sol Campbell before because while I dislike the guy for what I think he did, I don't actually know all the circumstances that led him to make that decision. But I promise that your debating skills have made me see the light that I was wrong in trying to push my opinion of Sol Campbell, that I never pushed upon anyone, upon everyone.

:avbshock::avbcringe::cunt:

while I dislike the guy for what I think he did, I don't actually know all the circumstances that led him to make that decision

Well swap dislike the guy, for disliking his actions, and Ive done the exact same thing with regards to Pat Jennings.

But you seem to have taken great issue with that, while you have no problem with doing the same with Campbell.

Well swap dislike the guy, for disliking his actions, and Ive done the exact same thing with regards to Pat Jennings.

But you seem to have taken great issue with that, while you have no problem with doing the same with Campbell.
Again, no.

If you go back to the first post I wrote on this, you'll see that I was having a go at you for telling Joe Clash Joe Clash that he was making wild assumptions about your real life, when your whole argument against Pat Jennings was based on assumptions. Then I pointed out what assumptions you had made and how other equally logical assumptions can also be made.

The last paragraph was me pointing out my own feelings about how we fans are silly to expect blind loyalty from players based purely on OUR love for Spurs.

I'll quote my whole post in the spoiler below to refresh you memory.
Hang on. You have a go at Joe Clash Joe Clash for making assumptions about your actual life and yet your whole argument against Pat Jennings is based on assumptions that you made. You don't know what the offers were like from ManU, Villa or Ipswich ... they could have been half his wages and a spot on the bench for all you know right? If his only real offer was from Woolwich, why should he put the feelings of fans over providing for his family?

Oh and before you go on about how his wages were 99 times the average wage at the time, he had a limited time left to play in his career. Sure, it turned out to be longer then average but at 32yo he couldn't have been thinking about which club he was going to play the next 8 years at. Most likely (an assumption, I know), he would have been thinking about one contract and then seeing how things went from there.

I've always been amazed at the fan reaction to contract decisions that players make. Do you honestly think Bale was looking at his Real Madrid contract and weighing up whether 300k a week is worth the flack he might get on the Spurs message boards from sammyspurs sammyspurs , Joe Clash Joe Clash or Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante ?

If you go back to the first post I wrote on this, you'll see that I was having a go at you for telling Joe Clash that he was making wild assumptions about your real life, your whole argument against Pat Jennings was based on assumptions.

Its not though is it.
Pat Jennings joined Woolwich. Pat Jennings had offers from 3 other clubs. Those are facts.
Joe doesnt know one single fact about me, so you are comparing chalk and cheese.

Then I pointed out what assumptions you had made and how other equally logical assumptions can also be made.

And I pointed out that my assumptions were based on other actual facts: for example, the average wage of footballers in 1978 (£330 a week) compared to the average normal working wage (£68 a week)

I used this assumption to show that, despite not knowing what the clubs offered, that it was likely that Pat Jennings would still have been able to live well, had he signed for Utd and not The Scum.
That is making a logical assumption, based on facts.

You compared that logic as no different to Pat Jennings joining Woolwich because he was being blackmailed over photos of him performing oral sex on a primate.
I will leave that there. The fact you describe that as an "equally logical assumption" is a horrific presentation of how your mind works.

The last paragraph was me pointing out my own feelings about how we fans are silly to expect blind loyalty from players based purely on OUR love for Spurs.

Yet this has been unravelled by the fact you dislike Sol Campbell for what he did. You then went on to claim that only players who are Spurs fans can be scorned upon for joining Woolwich in an attempt to shift the goal posts.
But then you said this:

while I dislike the guy for what I think he did, I don't actually know all the circumstances that led him to make that decision.

To which I showed you that apart from me disliking Jennings actions, as opposed to the man himself, what we have both done is identical. Made a decision about someone, based on the facts we do know, and not made illogical assumptions on the basis "we wasnt in the room at the time".

To which we have arrived here, where I believe you, as well as me have lost all track of what your "point" is.

Last edited:
Jennings was forced out.

Sol left of his own accord.

End of story.
yeah. I went to the spurs show live with pat and gilly. He spoke in real depth about his situation at spurs and why he joined them. I think most people were disappointed by the fact he went there but were more saddened by the way the club dealt with him.

5cf0a238880cf93e6eea80adb9ac07e3.jpg

sammyspurs sammyspurs We're not starting all over again are we?

Can someone just start a pat jennings thread. This thread is strictly for the messiah Adebayor.

Why dont you (and everyone else crying about the purity of a thread title to ints content) post something about Ade-fucking-bayor then?

Oh.....you've actually got fuck all to say about him thats why.

Ok....no debates...no deviation from thread title. This is the ADEBAYOR THREAD!!

Emmanuel Adebayor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emmanuel Adebayor

Adebayor in 2010
Personal information
Full name
Sheyi Emmanuel Adebayor[1]
Date of birth 26 February 1984 (age 30)[2]
Place of birth Lomé, Togo
Height 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)[2]
Playing position Forward
Club information
Current team

Tottenham Hotspur
Number 10
Youth career
1998–1999
OC Agaza
1999–2001 Metz
Senior career*
Years
Team Apps† (Gls)†
2001–2003
Metz 44 (15)
2003–2006 Monaco 78 (18)
2006–2009 Woolwich 104 (46)
2009–2012 Manchester City 34 (15)
2011Real Madrid (loan) 14 (5)
2011–2012Tottenham Hotspur (loan) 33 (17)
2012– Tottenham Hotspur 54 (18)
National team‡
2000–
Togo 63 (29)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 October 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).

‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14:29, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Sheyi Emmanuel Adebayor (French pronunciation: [ɛmanɥɛl adəbɛjɔʁ]; born 26 February 1984), known asEmmanuel Adebayor, is a Togolese footballer who plays as a forward for Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the Togo national team. Adebayor previously played for Metz, Monaco, Woolwich, Real Madridand Manchester City. He was voted African Footballer of the Year for 2008.[3]

Adebayor represented the Togo national football team at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, the country's début, and to date only, appearance at the World Cup. In January 2010, Adebayor was one of the players involved when the Togo team's bus came under gunfire on the way to the 2010 Africa Cup of Nationsin Angola, after which he retired from national team duty. In 2013 he returned to the Togo team for the 2013 African Cup of Nations in South Africa, where he helped them to qualify for the quarterfinals. He is currently Togo's all-time top goalscorer with 28 goals.[4]

A towering striker, Adebayor is described as being "tall, skilful, strong in the air and with the ability to score and create."[5]

Contents
[hide]

Club career
Early career
Born in Lomé to parents of Yoruba ethnicity, Adebayor spent most of his youth in Togo where he attended the Centre de Développement Sportif de Lomé (English: Sports Development Centre of Lomé), also known as Sporting Club de Lomé.[6] Adebayor was spotted playing for Sporting Club de Lomé by scouts from Metz, who brought him to France in 1999. He made his Ligue 1 debut against FC Sochaux-Montbéliard on 17 November 2001. Following Metz's relegation he played a season in Ligue 2, where 13 goals in 34 league matches prompted a summer 2003 move to Monaco. He featured nine times in Europe as Monaco reached the 2004 UEFA Champions League Final against Porto in Gelsenkirchen, for which he was an unused substitute.[7]

Woolwich
On 13 January 2006, Woolwich signed Adebayor for a reported £3m. He was given the nickname "Baby Kanu" due to his resemblance to former Woolwich star Nwankwo Kanu, whom Adebayor had idolised as a youth.[8] On 4 February 2006, Adebayor made his Woolwich debut in a Premiership match at Birmingham City and scored after 21 minutes, with Woolwich winning 2–0.[9] At the end of his first season for the Gunners he had scored four goals in ten matches. However, Adebayor was cup-tied for Woolwich's 2005–06 Champions League campaign as they reached the final against Barcelona, having appeared for Monaco in the qualifying rounds of the competition.

Adebayor scored Woolwich's winning goal against Manchester United to give Woolwich a 1–0 win at Old Trafford, their first league win of the 2006–07 season. Earlier in the game, Adebayor was brought down in the six-yard box to earn Woolwich a penalty, which was taken by Gilberto Silva and saved.[10] On 8 November 2006, Adebayor scored the only goal of the match to send Woolwich into the quarterfinals of the League Cup against Everton.

Adebayor withWoolwich
He was sent off in Woolwich's 2–1 League Cup final loss to Chelsea. He was shown a red card after a fracas towards the end of the match involving both Chelsea and Woolwich players. It was alleged that he had thrown a punch at Frank Lampard. The FA subsequently gave him an additional one-match ban and a fine of £7,500 for failing to leave the field of play immediately, as well as a three-match ban for the red card.[11]Adebayor and Lampard both denied it.[12]

On 15 September 2007, Adebayor's two goals against Tottenham helped Woolwich win 3–1 in the first North London derby of the season.[13]Adebayor then scored his first hat-trick for Woolwich in a 5–0 home win against Derby County on 22 September; this was the second-ever hat-trick scored at the Emirates.[14] He was involved in a controversial incident on 22 January in which he clashed with teammate Nicklas Bendtnerseven minutes from the end of a 5–1 League Cup semi-final defeat to Tottenham. Bendtner appeared to cut his nose in the clash, for which Adebayor apologised the following day.[15] Three days later he scored the hundredth goal at the Emirates during the side's 3–0 FA Cup victory over Newcastle United.[16] Starting on 4 March against Milan, Adebayor went on a goalscoring streak in the Champions League. Despite having never scored before in the competition, he scored a goal in the 2nd leg against Milan at the San Siro.[17]

On 28 April, Adebayor scored his second hat-trick for Woolwich after coming off the bench at half time in a 6–2 victory against Derby County, making him the only player in the Premiership's history to score a hat-trick home and away against the same side in the same season.[18]Although Woolwich finished the season empty handed, he was named in the PFA Team of the Year.[19] Adebayor's second goal againstTottenham Hotspur won Match of the Day's Goal of the Season competition for the 2007–08 season.[20] He was also awarded the BBC African Footballer of the Yearfor his performance in 2008.

In the 2008 summer transfer window he was linked with a £30million move to AC Milan and Barcelona,[21] but later signed a new long-term contract at Woolwich.[22] On 13 September 2008, Adebayor scored a hat trick in Woolwich's 4–0 win away to Blackburn Rovers, getting his first league goals of the 2008–09 season.[23] Adebayor received his first red card of the season in a 1–1 draw with Liverpool after an altercation with opposing defender Álvaro Arbeloa; this was his second bookable offence of the game and therefore served a one-match ban.[24] On 8 February, Adebayor suffered a hamstring injury in Woolwich's 0–0 draw against Tottenham Hotspur. The injury would keep him out for almost two months, despite initial estimations suggesting only a three week absence.[25] He made a goalscoring return to action, scoring a brace on his return against Manchester City.[26]

On 7 April 2009, Adebayor equalized a goal for Woolwich in the quarter finals of the Champions League against Villarreal, in which he chested the ball into his control and then performed a brilliant bicycle kick.[27] In the return leg at the Emirates Stadium a week later, he scored in a 3–0 Woolwich win, setting up a semi-final showdown withManchester United. However, Adebayor was injured for the last two Premier League games and finished the season as Woolwich's second top goal scorer, scoring 16, behind Robin van Persie's 20 in all competitions.[28]/

Manchester City

Adebayor in Manchester City colours.
On 18 July 2009, Adebayor signed a five-year contract with Manchester City, for a transfer fee believed to be in the region of £25million.[29]He scored a goal on his debut for City against Blackburn Rovers, with a shot from 18 yards in the third minute.[30] On his home debut, Adebayor scored the only goal in the 17th minute in a 1–0 in over Wolverhampton Wanderers, assisted by fellow summer signing Carlos Tevez.[31] He scored in his third consecutive league match, heading the winner in a 1–0 away victory against Portsmouth.[32]

He then scored in his fourth consecutive match, this time against his former team, Woolwich in a 4–2 victory at the City of Manchester Stadium.[33] As a result, he is one of only six players to score in their first four games for a club.[34] In the match against Woolwich, Adebayor's former team mate Robin van Persie accused him of deliberately kicking him in the face,[35] and he was later handed a three-match ban after being found guilty of violent conduct.[36] Adebayor was also criticised for running almost the full length of the pitch to the Woolwich supporters and celebrating in front of them after scoring his goal causing an angry reaction from the Woolwich supporters who had been singing racist chants and insulting his mother for the majority of the game. He was booked for this, but did later apologise.[37]Manchester City manager Mark Hughes suggested Adebayor did it because he wanted to be loved by City fans.[38] Also Woolwich's formerCameroonian defensive midfielder Alex Song, who is one of Adebayor's closest friends in football, alleged he was slapped in the face by Adebayor during City's 4-2 victory, additionally, Cesc Fàbregas, former Woolwich captain, felt that Adebayor had tried to stamp on him too.[39]

For the start of the 2010–11 season he was given the number 9 shirt instead of his favoured number 25 which he previously wore at Woolwich and City. He scored his first hat-trick for Manchester City on 21 October in a UEFA Europa League group stage match against Lech Poznań.[40] In doing so, he became the first Manchester City player to score a hat-trick in a European competition. However during the 2010–11 season, Adebayor fell down the pecking order at Manchester City following the club purchasing Edin Džeko with Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli also being chosen ahead of him. In August 2011, Roberto Mancini confirmed that Adebayor, along with Craig Bellamy, were no longer part of his plans and could leave Manchester City.

Real Madrid (loan)

Adebayor with Real Madrid
On 25 January 2011, Adebayor signed a loan deal to play for Real Madrid for the rest of the season.[41] Adebayor scored his first goal for Real Madrid in the second leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final against Sevilla at the Santiago Bernabéu.[42] The game ended 2–0 with an aggregate score of 3–0.

The following weekend, he scored his first goal in La Liga against Real Sociedad, again at the Santiago Bernabéu. The game ended 4–1 and Adebayor scored the last goal within the last 3 minutes of the game. On 6 March 2011, Adebayor scored the opening goal in the 24th minute against Racing Santander from a Mesut Özil pass. Real Madrid won the match 3–1. Adebayor was heavily criticised for his performance against Sporting Gijón, especially for missing many chances. The game ended 0–1 to Sporting Gijón. Adebayor added two goals to his European tally for Madrid with goals against Tottenham Hotspur in a 4–0 win on 5 April 2011.

Adebayor scored his first hat-trick for Real Madrid on 21 May 2011, in the last round of the 2010–11 La Liga season, againstAlmería. In that match, Real Madrid beat Almería 8–1.[43]

Adebayor returned to Manchester City after the Spanish season had finished, but was omitted from their pre-season tour of the USA on 11 July 2011 and later risked a £300,000 fine for refusing to train with the club's reserve and youth teams.[44]

Tottenham Hotspur
On 25 August 2011, Tottenham Hotspur signed Adebayor on a season-long loan.[45] On 10 September 2011, Adebayor scored on his debut against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 67th minute.[46] On 18 September 2011, he scored twice on his home debut in a 4–0 win against Liverpool, his second strike marking the 100th league goal of his senior career.[47]

Adebayor also provided the assist for Rafael van der Vaart's goal in their 2–1 North London derby win against former club Woolwich on 2 October.[48] He scored his fourth and fifth goal for Tottenham in their 2–0 win against Aston Villa on 21 November, the first with an overhead kick and the second after a mistake from Villa defenderJames Collins.[49] He scored another two goals in Tottenham's 3–1 win over West Bromwich Albion.[50] Later on Adebayor went on to score a further two goals, one was a penalty at Stoke and one came in a derby against Chelsea where the scores ended up 1–1.

On 11 February 2012, Adebayor scored on a volley and supplied four assists in the 5–0 win over Newcastle United.[51] On 26 February his 28th Birthday, Adebayor converted a penalty against Woolwich to bring Spurs 2–0 up at the Emirates which ended in a 5–2 defeat for Tottenham.[52] On 1 April Adebayor scored two goals in a 3–1 win over Swansea City.[53] On 15 April 2012, Adebayor provided an assist for Gareth Bale in Tottenham's only goal in the 5–1 loss to Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi-Final.[54] Adebayor then went on to score goals in back to back games for Tottenham, scoring two against Bolton Wanderers in a 4–1 win at the Reebok Stadium[55]and converting a penalty against Aston Villa where the game ended 1–1.[56]

In the final game of his loan spell with Tottenham,[57] Adebayor opened the scoring as Spurs defeated London rivals Fulham 2–0 on 13 May to secure fourth place.[58]

Adebayor finished the season as Tottenham's top goalscorer, with 18 goals (17 in the Premier League).

On 21 August 2012, Adebayor signed a permanent deal with Tottenham Hotspur in a deal worth £5m, after a protracted period of negotiations.[59][60]

On 17 November 2012, Adebayor scored an early goal for Tottenham in a North London derby match against Woolwich to put them 1–0 up, but seven minutes later his challenge on Santi Cazorla saw him sent off by referee Howard Webb. Woolwich went on to win the match 5–2.[61] On 1 January 2013, Adebayor scored his first home goal of the season for Spurs against Reading, with a header from an Aaron Lennon cross. Spurs eventually won 3–1. On 14 March 2013 Adebayor scored the decisive away goal that put Spurs through to the quarter final of the Europa League in an aggregate win against Internazionale. [62] He went on to shoot over the bar following a run-up with a decisive penalty in the following round against FC Basel, which ultimately resulted in Spurs' elimination from the tournament.[63] He scored a goal on 8 May against Chelsea in a 2–2 draw from outside the penalty box to bring the game level to 1–1.[64] He then scored the winning goal on the following Sunday (12 May 2013) to give Tottenham a 2–1 win at Stoke City on a cross from Clint Dempsey in the 83rd minute.[65]

After the sacking of André Villas-Boas, who had told the striker to train with the youth team at the start of the 2013–14 season,[66] Adebayor returned to the Tottenham team under Tim Sherwood, scoring in a 2–1 Football League Cup quarter-final defeat at home to West Ham United.[67] He went on to score eight goals in his next tenPremier League matches, with goals in wins against Southampton, Manchester United and Swansea City,[68] Everton[69] and Newcastle United.[70]

On 7 April 2014, Adebayor reached ten goals for the Premier League season, scoring twice in a 5–1 home win over Sunderland.[71]

He ended the season as Spurs' top goalscorer with 14 goals from 25 appearances after scoring in in their final Premier League match on 11 May 2014, a 3–0 defeat of Aston Villa at White Hart Lane.[72]

International career

Adebayor playing for Togoin May 2006
Adebayor was also eligible to play for Nigeria but chose to represent the country of his birth.[73] Adebayor helped Togo qualify for the2006 Africa Cup of Nations by scoring 11 goals in the qualifiers, more than any other player in the African qualifiers. On 10 February 2009, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) picked Adebayor as the African Footballer of the Year for 2008 at an awards ceremony held in Lagos, Nigeria. Adebayor beat final nominees Mohamed Aboutrika of Egypt and Ghana's Michael Essien in a vote that involved the national team coaches of CAF's 54 member-nations. It was the first time a Togolese won the award as Africa's best player.

Adebayor helped Togo to qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany and started all three group matches against South Korea,Switzerland and France, but did not score any goals and Togo ended up in last place. Adebayor was made team captain after the finals.

He was called up for the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, where he was a substitute for the country's first match, following a row with the coach. Adebayor first vowed to leave the tournament and return home, although he later resumed training with the side.[74] Togo were eliminated after losing all three matches. He was dropped by Togo following the row over bonus payments.[75] However, Adebayor was brought back into the Togo team in September 2007. On 11 October 2008, he scored four goals in Togo's 6–0 hammering of Swazilandduring the World Cup qualification rounds.

Despite being injured, Adebayor played for Togo against Cameroon. Within this match he scored the only goal for Togo to seal the win.[76]

On 8 January 2010, Adebayor was one of the players involved when the Togo national team's bus came under a gunfire attack on the way to the Africa Cup of Nationsin Angola.[77] The fatal attack, in which all the players survived but three other people were killed, led to Togo withdrawing from the tournament.[78] Adebayor consequently announced his retirement from international football on 12 April 2010 in a statement which read, "I have weighed up my feelings in the weeks and months since the attack and I am still haunted by the events which I witnessed on that horrible afternoon on the Togo team bus. We were just footballers going to play a football match and represent our country, yet we were attacked by people who wanted to kill us all. It is a moment I will never forget and one I never want to experience again."[79]

Adebayor subsequently returned to international duty in November 2011 following assurances from the Togo Football Federation regarding safety,[80] making his comeback in a 1–0 win over Guinea-Bissau in a 2014 World Cup qualifier.[81]

International goals
Scores and results list Togo's goal tally first.
[show]# Date Venue Opponent Score Result Competition
Punditry
Adebayor was a pundit for the BBC Sport's 2010 FIFA World Cup coverage.[82]

Personal life
Adebayor is married and has a daughter named Kendra (born June 2010).[83][84]

Adebayor is a Christian.[85] Adebayor has spoken about his faith saying, "Everything I do in life I put in the hands of God, my creator. He gave me the chance to be where I am today and He’s the one that can take it all away from me. There is nothing more important for me than God." Adebayor could not walk for the first four years of his life. His mother took young Adebayor around Africa looking for a cure. Adebayor then spoke about his 'miracle' saying, "... I was in the church laying down and, around nine or ten o’clock on the Sunday morning, I could hear children playing outside. Suddenly somebody kicked a ball into the church. And the first person to stand up and run was me, because I wanted to get that ball."[86]

images

YAY!! ITS LIKE AN ADEBAYOR SCRAP BOOK NOW!!!

Come on!! Lets discuss ADE!!!!!!!!

Why dont you (and everyone else crying about the purity of a thread title to ints content) post something about Ade-fucking-bayor then?

Oh.....you've actually got fuck all to say about him thats why.

Ok....no debates...no deviation from thread title. This is the ADEBAYOR THREAD!!

Emmanuel Adebayor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emmanuel Adebayor

Adebayor in 2010
Personal information
Full name
Sheyi Emmanuel Adebayor[1]
Date of birth 26 February 1984 (age 30)[2]
Place of birth Lomé, Togo
Height 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)[2]
Playing position Forward
Club information
Current team

Tottenham Hotspur
Number 10
Youth career
1998–1999
OC Agaza
1999–2001 Metz
Senior career*
Years
Team Apps† (Gls)†
2001–2003
Metz 44 (15)
2003–2006 Monaco 78 (18)
2006–2009 Woolwich 104 (46)
2009–2012 Manchester City 34 (15)
2011Real Madrid (loan) 14 (5)
2011–2012Tottenham Hotspur (loan) 33 (17)
2012– Tottenham Hotspur 54 (18)
National team‡
2000–
Togo 63 (29)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 October 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).

‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14:29, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Sheyi Emmanuel Adebayor (French pronunciation: [ɛmanɥɛl adəbɛjɔʁ]; born 26 February 1984), known asEmmanuel Adebayor, is a Togolese footballer who plays as a forward for Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the Togo national team. Adebayor previously played for Metz, Monaco, Woolwich, Real Madridand Manchester City. He was voted African Footballer of the Year for 2008.[3]

Adebayor represented the Togo national football team at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, the country's début, and to date only, appearance at the World Cup. In January 2010, Adebayor was one of the players involved when the Togo team's bus came under gunfire on the way to the 2010 Africa Cup of Nationsin Angola, after which he retired from national team duty. In 2013 he returned to the Togo team for the 2013 African Cup of Nations in South Africa, where he helped them to qualify for the quarterfinals. He is currently Togo's all-time top goalscorer with 28 goals.[4]

A towering striker, Adebayor is described as being "tall, skilful, strong in the air and with the ability to score and create."[5]

Contents
[hide]

Club career
Early career
Born in Lomé to parents of Yoruba ethnicity, Adebayor spent most of his youth in Togo where he attended the Centre de Développement Sportif de Lomé (English: Sports Development Centre of Lomé), also known as Sporting Club de Lomé.[6] Adebayor was spotted playing for Sporting Club de Lomé by scouts from Metz, who brought him to France in 1999. He made his Ligue 1 debut against FC Sochaux-Montbéliard on 17 November 2001. Following Metz's relegation he played a season in Ligue 2, where 13 goals in 34 league matches prompted a summer 2003 move to Monaco. He featured nine times in Europe as Monaco reached the 2004 UEFA Champions League Final against Porto in Gelsenkirchen, for which he was an unused substitute.[7]

Woolwich
On 13 January 2006, Woolwich signed Adebayor for a reported £3m. He was given the nickname "Baby Kanu" due to his resemblance to former Woolwich star Nwankwo Kanu, whom Adebayor had idolised as a youth.[8] On 4 February 2006, Adebayor made his Woolwich debut in a Premiership match at Birmingham City and scored after 21 minutes, with Woolwich winning 2–0.[9] At the end of his first season for the Gunners he had scored four goals in ten matches. However, Adebayor was cup-tied for Woolwich's 2005–06 Champions League campaign as they reached the final against Barcelona, having appeared for Monaco in the qualifying rounds of the competition.

Adebayor scored Woolwich's winning goal against Manchester United to give Woolwich a 1–0 win at Old Trafford, their first league win of the 2006–07 season. Earlier in the game, Adebayor was brought down in the six-yard box to earn Woolwich a penalty, which was taken by Gilberto Silva and saved.[10] On 8 November 2006, Adebayor scored the only goal of the match to send Woolwich into the quarterfinals of the League Cup against Everton.

Adebayor withWoolwich
He was sent off in Woolwich's 2–1 League Cup final loss to Chelsea. He was shown a red card after a fracas towards the end of the match involving both Chelsea and Woolwich players. It was alleged that he had thrown a punch at Frank Lampard. The FA subsequently gave him an additional one-match ban and a fine of £7,500 for failing to leave the field of play immediately, as well as a three-match ban for the red card.[11]Adebayor and Lampard both denied it.[12]

On 15 September 2007, Adebayor's two goals against Tottenham helped Woolwich win 3–1 in the first North London derby of the season.[13]Adebayor then scored his first hat-trick for Woolwich in a 5–0 home win against Derby County on 22 September; this was the second-ever hat-trick scored at the Emirates.[14] He was involved in a controversial incident on 22 January in which he clashed with teammate Nicklas Bendtnerseven minutes from the end of a 5–1 League Cup semi-final defeat to Tottenham. Bendtner appeared to cut his nose in the clash, for which Adebayor apologised the following day.[15] Three days later he scored the hundredth goal at the Emirates during the side's 3–0 FA Cup victory over Newcastle United.[16] Starting on 4 March against Milan, Adebayor went on a goalscoring streak in the Champions League. Despite having never scored before in the competition, he scored a goal in the 2nd leg against Milan at the San Siro.[17]

On 28 April, Adebayor scored his second hat-trick for Woolwich after coming off the bench at half time in a 6–2 victory against Derby County, making him the only player in the Premiership's history to score a hat-trick home and away against the same side in the same season.[18]Although Woolwich finished the season empty handed, he was named in the PFA Team of the Year.[19] Adebayor's second goal againstTottenham Hotspur won Match of the Day's Goal of the Season competition for the 2007–08 season.[20] He was also awarded the BBC African Footballer of the Yearfor his performance in 2008.

In the 2008 summer transfer window he was linked with a £30million move to AC Milan and Barcelona,[21] but later signed a new long-term contract at Woolwich.[22] On 13 September 2008, Adebayor scored a hat trick in Woolwich's 4–0 win away to Blackburn Rovers, getting his first league goals of the 2008–09 season.[23] Adebayor received his first red card of the season in a 1–1 draw with Liverpool after an altercation with opposing defender Álvaro Arbeloa; this was his second bookable offence of the game and therefore served a one-match ban.[24] On 8 February, Adebayor suffered a hamstring injury in Woolwich's 0–0 draw against Tottenham Hotspur. The injury would keep him out for almost two months, despite initial estimations suggesting only a three week absence.[25] He made a goalscoring return to action, scoring a brace on his return against Manchester City.[26]

On 7 April 2009, Adebayor equalized a goal for Woolwich in the quarter finals of the Champions League against Villarreal, in which he chested the ball into his control and then performed a brilliant bicycle kick.[27] In the return leg at the Emirates Stadium a week later, he scored in a 3–0 Woolwich win, setting up a semi-final showdown withManchester United. However, Adebayor was injured for the last two Premier League games and finished the season as Woolwich's second top goal scorer, scoring 16, behind Robin van Persie's 20 in all competitions.[28]/

Manchester City

Adebayor in Manchester City colours.
On 18 July 2009, Adebayor signed a five-year contract with Manchester City, for a transfer fee believed to be in the region of £25million.[29]He scored a goal on his debut for City against Blackburn Rovers, with a shot from 18 yards in the third minute.[30] On his home debut, Adebayor scored the only goal in the 17th minute in a 1–0 in over Wolverhampton Wanderers, assisted by fellow summer signing Carlos Tevez.[31] He scored in his third consecutive league match, heading the winner in a 1–0 away victory against Portsmouth.[32]

He then scored in his fourth consecutive match, this time against his former team, Woolwich in a 4–2 victory at the City of Manchester Stadium.[33] As a result, he is one of only six players to score in their first four games for a club.[34] In the match against Woolwich, Adebayor's former team mate Robin van Persie accused him of deliberately kicking him in the face,[35] and he was later handed a three-match ban after being found guilty of violent conduct.[36] Adebayor was also criticised for running almost the full length of the pitch to the Woolwich supporters and celebrating in front of them after scoring his goal causing an angry reaction from the Woolwich supporters who had been singing racist chants and insulting his mother for the majority of the game. He was booked for this, but did later apologise.[37]Manchester City manager Mark Hughes suggested Adebayor did it because he wanted to be loved by City fans.[38] Also Woolwich's formerCameroonian defensive midfielder Alex Song, who is one of Adebayor's closest friends in football, alleged he was slapped in the face by Adebayor during City's 4-2 victory, additionally, Cesc Fàbregas, former Woolwich captain, felt that Adebayor had tried to stamp on him too.[39]

For the start of the 2010–11 season he was given the number 9 shirt instead of his favoured number 25 which he previously wore at Woolwich and City. He scored his first hat-trick for Manchester City on 21 October in a UEFA Europa League group stage match against Lech Poznań.[40] In doing so, he became the first Manchester City player to score a hat-trick in a European competition. However during the 2010–11 season, Adebayor fell down the pecking order at Manchester City following the club purchasing Edin Džeko with Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli also being chosen ahead of him. In August 2011, Roberto Mancini confirmed that Adebayor, along with Craig Bellamy, were no longer part of his plans and could leave Manchester City.

Real Madrid (loan)

Adebayor with Real Madrid
On 25 January 2011, Adebayor signed a loan deal to play for Real Madrid for the rest of the season.[41] Adebayor scored his first goal for Real Madrid in the second leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final against Sevilla at the Santiago Bernabéu.[42] The game ended 2–0 with an aggregate score of 3–0.

The following weekend, he scored his first goal in La Liga against Real Sociedad, again at the Santiago Bernabéu. The game ended 4–1 and Adebayor scored the last goal within the last 3 minutes of the game. On 6 March 2011, Adebayor scored the opening goal in the 24th minute against Racing Santander from a Mesut Özil pass. Real Madrid won the match 3–1. Adebayor was heavily criticised for his performance against Sporting Gijón, especially for missing many chances. The game ended 0–1 to Sporting Gijón. Adebayor added two goals to his European tally for Madrid with goals against Tottenham Hotspur in a 4–0 win on 5 April 2011.

Adebayor scored his first hat-trick for Real Madrid on 21 May 2011, in the last round of the 2010–11 La Liga season, againstAlmería. In that match, Real Madrid beat Almería 8–1.[43]

Adebayor returned to Manchester City after the Spanish season had finished, but was omitted from their pre-season tour of the USA on 11 July 2011 and later risked a £300,000 fine for refusing to train with the club's reserve and youth teams.[44]

Tottenham Hotspur
On 25 August 2011, Tottenham Hotspur signed Adebayor on a season-long loan.[45] On 10 September 2011, Adebayor scored on his debut against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 67th minute.[46] On 18 September 2011, he scored twice on his home debut in a 4–0 win against Liverpool, his second strike marking the 100th league goal of his senior career.[47]

Adebayor also provided the assist for Rafael van der Vaart's goal in their 2–1 North London derby win against former club Woolwich on 2 October.[48] He scored his fourth and fifth goal for Tottenham in their 2–0 win against Aston Villa on 21 November, the first with an overhead kick and the second after a mistake from Villa defenderJames Collins.[49] He scored another two goals in Tottenham's 3–1 win over West Bromwich Albion.[50] Later on Adebayor went on to score a further two goals, one was a penalty at Stoke and one came in a derby against Chelsea where the scores ended up 1–1.

On 11 February 2012, Adebayor scored on a volley and supplied four assists in the 5–0 win over Newcastle United.[51] On 26 February his 28th Birthday, Adebayor converted a penalty against Woolwich to bring Spurs 2–0 up at the Emirates which ended in a 5–2 defeat for Tottenham.[52] On 1 April Adebayor scored two goals in a 3–1 win over Swansea City.[53] On 15 April 2012, Adebayor provided an assist for Gareth Bale in Tottenham's only goal in the 5–1 loss to Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi-Final.[54] Adebayor then went on to score goals in back to back games for Tottenham, scoring two against Bolton Wanderers in a 4–1 win at the Reebok Stadium[55]and converting a penalty against Aston Villa where the game ended 1–1.[56]

In the final game of his loan spell with Tottenham,[57] Adebayor opened the scoring as Spurs defeated London rivals Fulham 2–0 on 13 May to secure fourth place.[58]

Adebayor finished the season as Tottenham's top goalscorer, with 18 goals (17 in the Premier League).

On 21 August 2012, Adebayor signed a permanent deal with Tottenham Hotspur in a deal worth £5m, after a protracted period of negotiations.[59][60]

On 17 November 2012, Adebayor scored an early goal for Tottenham in a North London derby match against Woolwich to put them 1–0 up, but seven minutes later his challenge on Santi Cazorla saw him sent off by referee Howard Webb. Woolwich went on to win the match 5–2.[61] On 1 January 2013, Adebayor scored his first home goal of the season for Spurs against Reading, with a header from an Aaron Lennon cross. Spurs eventually won 3–1. On 14 March 2013 Adebayor scored the decisive away goal that put Spurs through to the quarter final of the Europa League in an aggregate win against Internazionale. [62] He went on to shoot over the bar following a run-up with a decisive penalty in the following round against FC Basel, which ultimately resulted in Spurs' elimination from the tournament.[63] He scored a goal on 8 May against Chelsea in a 2–2 draw from outside the penalty box to bring the game level to 1–1.[64] He then scored the winning goal on the following Sunday (12 May 2013) to give Tottenham a 2–1 win at Stoke City on a cross from Clint Dempsey in the 83rd minute.[65]

After the sacking of André Villas-Boas, who had told the striker to train with the youth team at the start of the 2013–14 season,[66] Adebayor returned to the Tottenham team under Tim Sherwood, scoring in a 2–1 Football League Cup quarter-final defeat at home to West Ham United.[67] He went on to score eight goals in his next tenPremier League matches, with goals in wins against Southampton, Manchester United and Swansea City,[68] Everton[69] and Newcastle United.[70]

On 7 April 2014, Adebayor reached ten goals for the Premier League season, scoring twice in a 5–1 home win over Sunderland.[71]

He ended the season as Spurs' top goalscorer with 14 goals from 25 appearances after scoring in in their final Premier League match on 11 May 2014, a 3–0 defeat of Aston Villa at White Hart Lane.[72]

International career

Adebayor playing for Togoin May 2006
Adebayor was also eligible to play for Nigeria but chose to represent the country of his birth.[73] Adebayor helped Togo qualify for the2006 Africa Cup of Nations by scoring 11 goals in the qualifiers, more than any other player in the African qualifiers. On 10 February 2009, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) picked Adebayor as the African Footballer of the Year for 2008 at an awards ceremony held in Lagos, Nigeria. Adebayor beat final nominees Mohamed Aboutrika of Egypt and Ghana's Michael Essien in a vote that involved the national team coaches of CAF's 54 member-nations. It was the first time a Togolese won the award as Africa's best player.

Adebayor helped Togo to qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany and started all three group matches against South Korea,Switzerland and France, but did not score any goals and Togo ended up in last place. Adebayor was made team captain after the finals.

He was called up for the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, where he was a substitute for the country's first match, following a row with the coach. Adebayor first vowed to leave the tournament and return home, although he later resumed training with the side.[74] Togo were eliminated after losing all three matches. He was dropped by Togo following the row over bonus payments.[75] However, Adebayor was brought back into the Togo team in September 2007. On 11 October 2008, he scored four goals in Togo's 6–0 hammering of Swazilandduring the World Cup qualification rounds.

Despite being injured, Adebayor played for Togo against Cameroon. Within this match he scored the only goal for Togo to seal the win.[76]

On 8 January 2010, Adebayor was one of the players involved when the Togo national team's bus came under a gunfire attack on the way to the Africa Cup of Nationsin Angola.[77] The fatal attack, in which all the players survived but three other people were killed, led to Togo withdrawing from the tournament.[78] Adebayor consequently announced his retirement from international football on 12 April 2010 in a statement which read, "I have weighed up my feelings in the weeks and months since the attack and I am still haunted by the events which I witnessed on that horrible afternoon on the Togo team bus. We were just footballers going to play a football match and represent our country, yet we were attacked by people who wanted to kill us all. It is a moment I will never forget and one I never want to experience again."[79]

Adebayor subsequently returned to international duty in November 2011 following assurances from the Togo Football Federation regarding safety,[80] making his comeback in a 1–0 win over Guinea-Bissau in a 2014 World Cup qualifier.[81]

International goals
Scores and results list Togo's goal tally first.
[show]# Date Venue Opponent Score Result Competition
Punditry
Adebayor was a pundit for the BBC Sport's 2010 FIFA World Cup coverage.[82]

Personal life
Adebayor is married and has a daughter named Kendra (born June 2010).[83][84]

Adebayor is a Christian.[85] Adebayor has spoken about his faith saying, "Everything I do in life I put in the hands of God, my creator. He gave me the chance to be where I am today and He’s the one that can take it all away from me. There is nothing more important for me than God." Adebayor could not walk for the first four years of his life. His mother took young Adebayor around Africa looking for a cure. Adebayor then spoke about his 'miracle' saying, "... I was in the church laying down and, around nine or ten o’clock on the Sunday morning, I could hear children playing outside. Suddenly somebody kicked a ball into the church. And the first person to stand up and run was me, because I wanted to get that ball."[86]

images

YAY!! ITS LIKE AN ADEBAYOR SCRAP BOOK NOW!!!

Come on!! Lets discuss ADE!!!!!!!!

wUFn861.gif

Man has a point though. There's nothing about Ade to discuss, he's a dead story. By this point you either hate him or think he's hard done by.

Back
Top Bottom