Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats important here is that Poch (like Sherwood) can see that Adebayor is a seasoned PL goal scorer who can also assist and hold the ball up, linking play, and is obviously a first choice striker.

The club has benefitted from his introduction in December, and our new manager has enough brains to see that too.
Putting aside all the arguments, I think everyone can see that Ade has premier league quality.

If Pochettino can get the best out of him and keep him motivated, then we're laughing.

One thing I've never understood is the claim that Ade is 'lazy'. Chasing players down and working hard down the flanks has been an integral part of his game for a few seasons now

Doesnt stop some people naming Soldado over him in their line ups though.

Which is why its refreshing to have a manager with a brain.

I must admit I was very frustrated with him that first half of last season, we will never know full truth but as he has shown since I was wrong, he has shown time and again he is an asset and would always be my first choice at moment based on form

Thing is as you say this is a smart manager, look how happy Soldado is too, seems like everyone getting the right amount of game time, as we know Ade may be going to ACON in new year and I feel Bobby will at least not be rusty and have the right mindset to take over - good management

Adebayor should not waste his time at the AFCON, we remember what happended last time. It is in his and the teams own interest he stays and has a complete season. I can't remember how long it has been since he had a complete season, (including pre-season). Adebayor is a 15-20 goals a season striker and I reckon he will be clocking up those numbers under el poch.

One thing I've never understood is the claim that Ade is 'lazy'. Chasing players down and working hard down the flanks has been an integral part of his game for a few seasons now

It's from sour grapes from old fans. When Ade wanted to leave the scum, they claimed that he was being lazy (but he was still scoring for fun).

Then Ade went about 3 games without scoring for City in a new season and their fans claimed the same thing.

The tabloids then did a hatchet job on him. His barren period for us had Lennon and (greedy) Defoe next to him: Not exactly a wealth of creativity. Bale was in shoot in sight mode and was being (understandably) greedy plus we had AVB puling the strings.

Ade's first season had people like VDV to play off and he was phenomenal with more open play from Harry.

I think the problem is that too many people on here are polar about him. He's either awful all the time or excellent all the time. The reality is that he's been excellent in a number of games and awful in a number of games, fuelling both fires.

I personally am not a big fan, I don't think he works hard enough for the team regularly enough, but I certainly can see that when he's in form he's definitely someone worth starting regularly. He's also a massive personality in the changing rooms and very popular with the players which is excellent for morale - but I don't like the way he conducted himself with AVB, he was out of line (assuming true of course).

For the moment he's scoring and working hard, so there's no point in dropping him. But lets not pretend he was excellent and hard working throughout the Sherwood era - after his amazing start, he actually only scored in two of Sherwood's last 13 games (one being a penalty for 3-0 vs Villa on the last day), and I think he only managed one assist in that time too (not checked that fact though).

Adebayor should not waste his time at the AFCON, we remember what happended last time. It is in his and the teams own interest he stays and has a complete season. I can't remember how long it has been since he had a complete season, (including pre-season). Adebayor is a 15-20 goals a season striker and I reckon he will be clocking up those numbers under el poch.

I think he'll go. He's fiercely proud of Togo. He said the experience of holding a friend as he died on the tour bus caused him to want to quit because he couldn't eat, and could not stop sweating from the stress and was super weak etc. Since then things like that have made him mature and he said something along the lines of wanting to lead Togo and not run away from their problems.

Speaking of weak, he couldn't walk for a week recently after coming back from Togo. He's a tenacious bastard.

This may be a way OTT comment, and I understand I may get a lot of negative ratings for this, but here goes:

I hate having Adebayor in this team, absolutely hate it. I have never felt so permanently let down and borderline heartbroken as I have with him.

The worst thing about him is the fact that he is actually so good, there is the old 'on his day' cliche but it is true. I can't even hate him as a human being as he does some fantastic things for charity and seems a likeable guy on the camera; yet off it I have seen him disinterested, fucks about with the Togo flight, acts a prick to AVB etc etc.

Then it comes to playing style, he literally has it all, bar insane pace and long shots, in his locker. I have seen him hold the ball up, run channels, dominate in the air, help out defensively, play impressive/flicks passes to set up team mates. However, what I see more of, is a lazyness to get back onside, a first touch so bad at times his second touch is tackle, I see him stick to the left when we only have one striker and thus no-one in the box, I have seen him miss chance after chance after chance.

The most frustrating player I have ever seen at Spurs because I can't just 'get over' his bad performances and state that he is shit, or it was a 'one off'. Genuinely wish he never came, and we had another enigma who appeared to try harder up front. I think I preferred the far worse Crouch.

"He could be good," "on his day he's unplayable," "the players around him are crap/selfish/stupid," "he needs an arm around him from the manager" etc etc.

We've heard all the excuses/reasons.

I'm sympathetic to all his terrible experiences but this season, like a few others, Ade needs to step up big style. I'm sick of jam tomorrow with these players.

My fear is that having played for Real Madrid, that's job done.

And by the way, don't mistake a player throwing himself around the pitch when it suits as "working hard."

5 times the player Kane is, twice as good on a bad day. 100% more proven than Soldado and often a more appropriate and versatile lone-striker option. We've got what we've got, won't change in January either I doubt.

Too true.

He's not lazy, but he definitely goes missing in the box and he's not the best finisher.

Did anyone watch the Sunderland match? At all? Both goals came when the play flowed through Ade. He ran himself ragged... the man looked like death when he was taken off. Maybe that's due to a lack of fitness, but you certainly can't argue that he wasn't putting in the effort.

Most importantly, his teammates believe in his desire to succeed... Poch doesn't seem the type to arbitrarily hand out a leadership position.

This may be a way OTT comment, and I understand I may get a lot of negative ratings for this, but here goes:

I hate having Adebayor in this team, absolutely hate it. I have never felt so permanently let down and borderline heartbroken as I have with him.

The worst thing about him is the fact that he is actually so good, there is the old 'on his day' cliche but it is true. I can't even hate him as a human being as he does some fantastic things for charity and seems a likeable guy on the camera; yet off it I have seen him disinterested, fucks about with the Togo flight, acts a prick to AVB etc etc.

Then it comes to playing style, he literally has it all, bar insane pace and long shots, in his locker. I have seen him hold the ball up, run channels, dominate in the air, help out defensively, play impressive/flicks passes to set up team mates. However, what I see more of, is a lazyness to get back onside, a first touch so bad at times his second touch is tackle, I see him stick to the left when we only have one striker and thus no-one in the box, I have seen him miss chance after chance after chance.

The most frustrating player I have ever seen at Spurs because I can't just 'get over' his bad performances and state that he is shit, or it was a 'one off'. Genuinely wish he never came, and we had another enigma who appeared to try harder up front. I think I preferred the far worse Crouch.

Looks like Ade didn't score in his last game eh?

Shut up you dick, any player who wants to play football for his country has ambition, and manager who wants to manage his country has ambition, and manager who wants to drive from paris to dakar well thats a whole different ball game

Back
Top Bottom