1882 Notes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any booing (in that scenario) is surely ironic. Park Lane and Shelf Side always did the same to the Paxton.

Of course it is from most I'm sure. But many sitting there won't see/hear it as that for whatever reason, and I don't blame them personally.

They usually get booed before they even have a chance to respond. The difference with them doing it to The Paxton is that that's clearly in jest given it's now the family stand and has been for many years, with Park Lane and The Shelfside also having made noise for many years. etc.

That guys first tweet is just so wtf.

My only slight issue with 1882 is the song "lets pretend we scored a goal". I love this one at youth games but it makes us look a little bit small time at proper games IMO.

BACK TO THE NORMAL ATMOSPHERE THOUGH. THE NORMAL ATMOSPHERE. 'WE' COCK UP THE ATMOSPHERE. It must be so hard for you guys to remain civil with comments like that first one. I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

I posted this in another thread but seems more apt here:

This old boy, seat across from me in the Paxton. I don't know him well but we normally exchange a few words before and during the game. Anyway, first thing he says on Sunday

I don't know what it was on Thursday over there (points at Park Lane) but it's was amazing, it made such a difference to the atmosphere, you know, for the whole ground.
I told him about 1882, not sure he quite understood but nethertheless proof that the work of 1882 appreciated by Spurs supporters all over the ground. :dwi:

Besides, don't piss off the older guys just because you don't agree with them. You'll come across as jumped-up and arrogant.

You are right it was a bit of a mass generalisation I must admit, when I mean old and young, I mean I just feel sorry for the 13-23yr olds really who can't afford to go watch the game or get a ticket now, the atmosphere picks up during the Europa or League cup games - even when the football standard doesnt as they get a chance

Its horses for courses I don't think people get more or less tollerant with age, its just what I have noticed since in recent years the expectancy has gone up disproportionately to net money spent and recent past success (not much)

So let me understand what's happened.
Some dude has criticised 1882 and @ Flav Flav has invited him to a quiet little shop on a dark winter's night where several of your friends will be waiting.
And this guy doesn't think it's a trap?

:adeninja:

I like your style

If that's not bad enough, they've got all the equipment set up to RECORD the whole thing...
It's all very Ian & Myra if you ask me!!

So let me understand what's happened.
Some dude has criticised 1882 and @ Flav Flav has invited him to a quiet little shop on a dark winter's night where several of your friends will be waiting.
And this guy doesn't think it's a trap?

:adeninja:

I like your style
I'm actually more scared for them.

It all depends on what you expect 1882 to be, a singing section to act as a catalyst to raise the atmosphere in the rest of the ground or is it just a block full of like minded fans to have a load of fun amongst themselves.

Bit of both I reckon... first and foremost, it's 'whoever wants to have a sing-song and a laugh' (and throw torn up newspaper into the air) have somewhere in the ground to go and congregate...
...but like all 'sheep mentality' theories about the Human condition, when OTHERS see what's going on, and how much fun WE'RE having, they'll wanna join in too... and so it spreads...
JUST LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Just reading this thread. Think it's pretty sensible for @ Flav Flav to have a dialogue with these folks, but I personally can't see what possible division it causes. Too me, it just sounds like a bunch of snooty knob jockeys getting the arse because they are long tern season ticket holders and are ultimately getting shown up. What so bloody bad about a bit of singing? How is it remotely divisive? I don't buy it at all.

If the atmosphere didn't need fixing, fans would hardly notice when 1882 are in attendance - the fact they are bemused and miffed at the songs means that the usual crowd demographic aren't generating enough noise! I'd love this chap and the rest of block 31 to outsing block 35 against Anzhi, but it ain't gonna happen.

Morning all. First time poster. Been reading this and Glory Glory whilst bored at work over the last few months. I'm a bronze member, 6900odd on the ST waiting list, 335 LPs - just a brief about me.

I've been going to Spurs since I was about 7, we had season tickets (Shelf Side lower) during the 1997-2002 seasons. I saw us beat Woolwich 2-1 and United 3-1 in the pouring rain as a little boy.

The first match I knew "1882" were attending was the Notts Forest game on Wednesday. I had a ticket in 34 but during the match moved over blocks and found myself a nice empty seat. I found myself cringing through out the match. The main difference between 1882 and a large percent of our fan base is; 1882 seemed to sing songs I've heard at Non League games. Singing "You're 21st in the league" to Forest after they were singing "We're top of the league" almost made me follow through with cringe. If you've been to White Hart Lane on a cold November evening against West Ham, Cardiff or Wisla Krakow and witnessed the roar of "Yid Army" coming from the corner of the Shelf and block 35 - you will understand my point.

It's almost as if certain people have forgotten who we are because of one season playing Champions League football. We're Tottenham. Our fans turn on a six pence, ESPECIALLY when the team is playing with the effort levels of slugs. You will never get songs like "Dembeli, nothing rhymes with it" going around the ground when you're 1-0 down to Nottingham Forest... try it when we're 3-0 up against Wigan and maybe.

Anyway back to work, rant over, feel slightly better now.

See you all tomorrow at Woolwich. (Bronze members didn't get tickets - but I have friends in high places (of the membership kind))

Morning all. First time poster. Been reading this and Glory Glory whilst bored at work over the last few months. I'm a bronze member, 6900odd on the ST waiting list, 335 LPs - just a brief about me.

I've been going to Spurs since I was about 7, we had season tickets (Shelf Side lower) during the 1997-2002 seasons. I saw us beat Woolwich 2-1 and United 3-1 in the pouring rain as a little boy.

The first match I knew "1882" were attending was the Notts Forest game on Wednesday. I had a ticket in 34 but during the match moved over blocks and found myself a nice empty seat. I found myself cringing through out the match. The main difference between 1882 and a large percent of our fan base is; 1882 seemed to sing songs I've heard at Non League games. Singing "You're 21st in the league" to Forest after they were singing "We're top of the league" almost made me follow through with cringe. If you've been to White Hart Lane on a cold November evening against West Ham, Cardiff or Wisla Krakow and witnessed the roar of "Yid Army" coming from the corner of the Shelf and block 35 - you will understand my point.

It's almost as if certain people have forgotten who we are because of one season playing Champions League football. We're Tottenham. Our fans turn on a six pence, ESPECIALLY when the team is playing with the effort levels of slugs. You will never get songs like "Dembeli, nothing rhymes with it" going around the ground when you're 1-0 down to Nottingham Forest... try it when we're 3-0 up against Wigan and maybe.

Anyway back to work, rant over, feel slightly better now.

See you all tomorrow at Woolwich. (Bronze members didn't get tickets - but I have friends in high places (of the membership kind))

If people are enjoying themselves what the fuck does it matter?

Also people were singing "nothing rhymes with Bentaleb" isnt that basically the same thing?
1882 isnt like some sort of club, its just a sort of umbrella term, for people that want to sing and have a laugh to just sit near eachother.

If you werent happy with the songs being sung, the beauty of it is you anyone is welcome to start a song.

But its ok, i get it. You want to give off the image of being hardcore, lifelong spurs, and you're better than the jonny come lately, plastic, only go to cup games, small time 1882 fans. Good effort but its been done better before.

Back
Top Bottom