Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll be interested to see whether Lamela's re-introduction will cause Poch to change formation. At the moment I can't see him getting into the 3-4-3 that we've been playing for the last couple of games. Walker's basically playing the winger role, and Erik doesn't seem a natural replacement for either Eriksen or Dele sitting just behind Kane.

Do you think he'll slot in to the first XI in that formation? If so, who'll drop out? Or will Poch play a different formation - maybe back to the 4-2-3-1 - to accommodate him?

I could see maybe Lamela coming into a game after 60 mins for Dembele, with Dele/Eriksen dropping back next to Wanyama to try to change a game that we're not winning.

What do you think?

I think he FLOURISHES in this formation. He isn't stuck out on the wing and he's allowed to roam all over the place, causing havoc with his movement. You've seen how this formation has invigorated Eriksen, it will do the exact same for Lamela.

Add to that his work rate and you have a formula for disaster for the opposition. I could totally see Eriksen dropping into central midfield and us going the route City have gone down with the way they play 3 at the back. Eriksen would be our David Silva with Wanyama being the Fernandinho and then Lamela would be allowed to be the creative de Bruyne type in front.

I'll be interested to see whether Lamela's re-introduction will cause Poch to change formation. At the moment I can't see him getting into the 3-4-3 that we've been playing for the last couple of games. Walker's basically playing the winger role, and Erik doesn't seem a natural replacement for either Eriksen or Dele sitting just behind Kane.

Do you think he'll slot in to the first XI in that formation? If so, who'll drop out? Or will Poch play a different formation - maybe back to the 4-2-3-1 - to accommodate him?

I could see maybe Lamela coming into a game after 60 mins for Dembele, with Dele/Eriksen dropping back next to Wanyama to try to change a game that we're not winning.

What do you think?
Lamela is a great back-up should Eriksen have another dip in form. I see him more as a number 10 anyway than a winger.

What do you think?
I think Lamela could slot in well in our "3 at the back"......would be actually more diverse going forward and as you say could be a massive headache for the oppo after an hour.

Also gives us the huge boost if we need to switch to last years set up and stick Lamela and Son in there

To be fair Lamela not being around is disappointing. However since switching between tactical formations, he's not been a massive miss. Yes we miss his tenacity during the press. However I think having Wanyama and Dembele as our midfield defensive wall, it's allowing Eriksen and Alli more freedom to create and run. If Lamela was available he'd be a great plan B player, much like Son is. Stretching tired defences and just being a bif different. He's more than capable playing as a number 10 as well, his little through passes are very good indeed.

I still think that Lamela could be coached into being a decent forward, taking pressure off kane. He has good shot on him, an eye for goal and composure.

I must be wrong though, as we've not really come close to even considering it, even before Janssen came along.

I think we have 3 or 4 technically gifted attacking midfielders in Dele, Eriksen, Lamela and Son...
All four can play in the #10 position just behind Kane, but of course, not all four can play there in every game.
The fact Lamela (and Son to an extent) have wing-play to their game would lend them both nicely to playing out wide if needed... but seeing as we're no longer going with orthodox wingers (just Reform ones... summit for the Jew fans out there!) Then I think you could perm any two from those four to slot in behind/either side of Kane.

Lamela shone when he was given a freer attacking role, with less emphasis on wing-play, and i'd say is a better bet than Son in that position.
Eriksen is more centrally minded, and to be fair, has probably been played out of position the most in the last season by being shifted out wide.

Dele is just a boy genius and can (and will) play anywhere across the front three!

I don't think Lamela coming back into the squad will spoil the system at all... merely add quality to it, and maybe give one of Dele/Eriksen some much needed rest occasionally!

:allitongue::lamelaaghh::eriksenlol::sonlol:

People saying "We are not missing him"

I can tell you this much. If he hadn't of got injured we'd be at least 6 points better off. When we were going through our shit periods he would have helped massively and chipped in. People forget how many chances he created last season, out of nothing. Like the winner vs Man City.

Many people undervaluing him.

Last edited:
Think I figured out the family-problem Poch was talking about. If you look up Axel Lamela on twitter/instagram, that's his little brother who seems to have broken his neck and was hospitalized for some time. Perhaps paralyzed now?

Maybe Erik, in connection with being out injured, is suffering mentally at the moment. Hope to see him back soon, he's a great lad.

I think that's the same brother who was kidnapped in Argentina when Lamela first signed for us? Not having the best of luck if it is and wish him all the best in the recovery.

Definitely think as it's a hip injury it's better to be over cautious than under but also think that mentally he may be feeling the strain of some family issues.

We're doing alright on the pitch without him although when he is ready to come back, he will definitely add something to the team/squad for the rest of the season

People saying "Are we not missing him"

I can tell you this much. If he hadn't of got injured we'd be at least 6 points better off. When we were going through our shit periods he would have helped massively and chipped in. People forget how many chances he created last season, out of nothing. Like the winner vs Man City.

Many people undervaluing him.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that his return won't be a welcome addition back into the lineup, and the sooner is better.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Just 'cos we've done well without him, doesn't mean we won't welcome him back with open arms when he does return.

Jan is the same, we're obviously gonna miss him, but if Dier & Tobes + either Wimmer/Davies between them can fashion a back three that means we hold the fort while Jan is out, it doesn't mean we won't miss him...
It's just we can hopefully show the strength to cope without him for a while!

Imagine he will compete with Eriksen in the 352 system for a place, I miss his pressing and aggression, does anyone know when he will play again?

I can see him doing just fine in either of Eriksen or Dele's spots in the current 3-4-3... 17 league games, 2 cups on the horizon; plenty of game time to come. His return will be most welcome!

Of course we need him back. I doubt he will go straight into the premiership team but at first play from the bench and in cup games. The same with Vertonghan, even if we have someone that can cover it means less options for the cup games and either a weaker team or overplaying our other players. Who knows who else may get injured or suspended. We need as many options as possible.

Back
Top Bottom