Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Again. Like I pointed out. Your BFF attempt at a good old cunting and failed miserably. America didn't come up with the term "take on" , your own peoples did. And not really sure how history comes into play since I was simply referencing a sky sport statistic that is used currently in England. He cunted. He got out cunted Your here to defend his name. Carry on

I am not claiming "take on" was invented by the USA, what bothers me about the term is the way people grab hold of it and use it as a way to break football down.

Sky use terms like this to make football the nice tapioca sport that can be easily digested by people new to the game.

Personally I feel it is a bastardisation of the language of football. Football has some beautiful historic words that is slowly being pushed aside by this Sky beast.

You claiming the word is of English origin by quoting sky is a bit ridiculous.

Whether or not that this being "cunty" or I am attempting some form of "Cunting" to be quite fair I couldn't give a fuck.

Its the internet. I guess we are all a bit cunty.

You opinion matters very little to me. Cheers for reading.

I am not claiming "take on" was invented by the USA, what bothers me about the term is the way people grab hold of it and use it as a way to break football down.

Sky use terms like this to make football the nice tapioca sport that can be easily digested by people new to the game.

Personally I feel it is a bastardisation of the language of football. Football has some beautiful historic words that is slowly being pushed aside by this Sky beast.

You claiming the word is of English origin by quoting sky is a bit ridiculous.

Whether or not that this being "cunty" or I am attempting some form of "Cunting" to be quite fair I couldn't give a fuck.

Its the internet. I guess we are all a bit cunty.

You opinion matters very little to me. Cheers for reading.

"Taking on" a defender. Definitely new to the game of football. Sky sports clearly what's wrong with the world today. Insightful stuff.

Ps hazard and Sanchez operate as inverted wingers and can take on defenders. It's what makes them pretty successful wingers in that particular postion regardless of whatever overly dramatic beef you have with sky sports and all that is new to the game ( me not being one of them) :adethumbup:

Last edited:
I thought most of Lamela's season this year was sub-par. Too many giveaways, not enough take-ons, 2 measly Prem goals and basically his biggest strength being his work-rate (albeit after his continually gives the ball away). His Assists total was strong and I can see him possibly succeeding in the CAM role. However, seems like Spurs are committed to Eriksen on that front so we'll likely get a lot of the same next year. I'd rather cash in now while he has some legitimate value and find a player much better suited for the Prem and that wing role. .
"Not enough take-ons"

:chadliblow:

Or an opportunity to cross the ball or create a shooting lane to score on the opposition.

Well we have the "shots" and "crosses" statistic already in place to measure those, so take on stats are a little pointless

I see what it is though, its a statistic that measures positivity, fine but the use of statistics is getting a little out of hand for a fluid game

Last edited:
Or an opportunity to cross the ball or create a shooting lane to score on the opposition.
Those things happen regardless of "take-ons"
Dembele takes on plenty, but it rarely results in anything. Let alone a cross. You can do more and be more effective by simply passing to a man in space. This isn't fifa, real life football lasts 90 minutes.

Well we have the "shots" and "crosses" statistic already in place to measure those, so take on stats are a little pointless

I see what it is though, its a statistic that measures positively, fine but the use of statistics is getting a little out of hand for a fluid game
Tbh. I could care little about the statistic as well. I only pointed out the sky sports statistic bc the question was posed to me "what/where was the take on originated".

Last edited:
Those things happen regardless of "take-ons"
Dembele takes on plenty, but it rarely results in anything. Let alone a cross. You can do more and be more effective by simply passing to a man in space. This isn't fifa, real life football lasts 90 minutes.
Dembele plays a different position and like I pointed out earlier , the need has more to do with an attacking winger in a inverted 4231 formation. But completely agree that passing to a man in open space is effective and that this isn't football played via an Xbox/sony gaming platform. No confusion there bro and let's bring a little more insight to the table plz :vert:

What exactly do "take-ons" bring to a game though? Other than an opportunity for the opposition to take the ball away from you.
That does make losing the ball more likely than not doing it, but if that matters, we shouldn't shoot as there's more chance of giving away a goal kick than there is if we don't.

That does make losing the ball more likely than not doing it, but if that matters, we shouldn't shoot as there's more chance of giving away a goal kick than there is if we don't.
But you can't score without shooting, and thats how games are won. Plus you might win a corner, or it could bobble, or the keeper could spill it into the path of a striker.
Shots are a quantifiable measure of performance. But take-ons? Don't mean anything. Think about it, other than Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho... its not often you see players repeatedly dribbling past defenders is it. Even on the wings we tend to use overlapping fullbacks more.
You wouldn't measure a performance on step overs would you.

Back
Top Bottom