Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But you can't score without shooting, and thats how games are won. Plus you might win a corner, or it could bobble, or the keeper could spill it into the path of a striker.
Shots are a quantifiable measure of performance. But take-ons? Don't mean anything. Think about it, other than Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho... its not often you see players repeatedly dribbling past defenders is it. Even on the wings we tend to use overlapping fullbacks more.
You wouldn't measure a performance on step overs would you.
Fair enough.

What bothers me about lamela, chadli, and eriksen is that they have all show to be able to curl a shot in from outside the box but seem reluctant to do it.

I think as a team we need to take more shots.

So what exactly has Dembele done since he's been here? He hasn't scored any league goals or made many assists.
What about Townsend, how many league goals, excluding pens, has he scored. How many assists has he made?
Dembele, for some strange reason, seems to escape criticism simply because he's strong & can hold onto the ball.
Lamela is not a winger. He is not going to get to the byline and cross, especially on the right as he's left footed.
Did anyone see him play for Roma, seen where he scored most from & was most creative?
It wasn't stuck rigidly on the right. Lamela 'never took on' loads of players either. He wasn't dribbling past midfielders and then full backs. So, why is he expected to do that now?
One thing he never used to do at Roma is as much defensive work as he does now.
Get of his fucking back because we decided to pay £30m for him.
He needs to have people making runs in front of him. He will then invariably find the pass.
He needs to be able to come central, rome (no pun intended).
Eriksen needs to start doing more to, like making runs behind the back 4 and give others options.
The way he sort of just hovers around the middle means that when Lamela, Etc, get the ball there are not many options to pass forward bar Kane.
Couple this with the lack of full backs overlapping lately and you get that pass, lay back off, pass, lay back off football.
Our players in midfield like Bentaleb, Mason and Lamela are capable of finding passes - as was seen when Rose and Chadli made great runs last time out - even Kane can.
You have to ask yourself why Eriksen isn't making more runs behind the defence from his ideal position.

Edit: There have been many, many times I have seen Lamela in great goalscoring positions this season and not get the ball, or the final ball has not been that good

But you can't score without shooting
In the interests of pedantry...
L9VOr2O.gif

:freundgoal:

But you can't score without shooting, and thats how games are won. Plus you might win a corner, or it could bobble, or the keeper could spill it into the path of a striker.
Shots are a quantifiable measure of performance. But take-ons? Don't mean anything. Think about it, other than Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho... its not often you see players repeatedly dribbling past defenders is it. Even on the wings we tend to use overlapping fullbacks more.
You wouldn't measure a performance on step overs would you.
"Take ons" don't mean anything? Go check out bale's last year at the Lane. Bale having a good old chuckle over that POV. Xbox and all.

"Take ons" don't mean anything? Go check out bale's last year at the Lane. Bale having a good old chuckle over that POV. Xbox and all.
Yeah you're right. How silly of me. Fuck them screamers he was scoring. That winner at west ham, pft what was that. That hat trick, not doing it for me at all. It was definitely about all those times he kicked the ball past a defender and ran after it.

I mean, seriously, what point are you trying to make? I literally, in the comment you just quoted, said that apart from the best players in the world, how often is it you see players successfully dribbling past half a team and then scoring. Its not a common thing in real life, Hazard does it, bale does, ronaldo does it, messi does it... What do these players all have in common? Well for one they've all won the champions league or a ballon d'or or are being touted as a future winner, in hazards case.
Either way, my point is this.
Ive been into football my whole life. Rarely a day goes by i don't think about it. Ive had thousands of conversations about it throughout my life.
AND NOT ONCE HAVE I SAID "TAKE-ONS". NO ONE MEASURES ANYTHING BY TAKE ONS.

I HAVE FORGOTTEN WHY WE'RE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION.

Yeah you're right. How silly of me. Fuck them screamers he was scoring. That winner at west ham, pft what was that. That hat trick, not doing it for me at all. It was definitely about all those times he kicked the ball past a defender and ran after it.

I mean, seriously, what point are you trying to make? I literally, in the comment you just quoted, said that apart from the best players in the world, how often is it you see players successfully dribbling past half a team and then scoring. Its not a common thing in real life, Hazard does it, bale does, ronaldo does it, messi does it... What do these players all have in common? Well for one they've all won the champions league or a ballon d'or or are being touted as a future winner, in hazards case.
Ive been into football my whole life. Rarely a day goes by i don't think about it. Ive had thousands of conversations about it throughout my life.

" Take ons don't mean anything ".
Sincerely
Deluded Logic

Ps

You nailed it with the use of caps lock at the end there.

" Take ons don't mean anything ".
Sincerely
Deluded Logic

What exactly is your point?????
You mentioned take ons, because you saw it on a fucking sky app, and now you're posting videos of gareth bale belting one in from 25 yards out.
You sound like a dick for mentioning it in the first place and now i sound like a dick for talking about it at 2 am. Im baffled, you seem confused. What are we doing with our lives here Phil.

What exactly is your point?????
You mentioned take ons, because you saw it on a fucking sky app, and now you're posting videos of gareth bale belting one in from 25 yards out.
You sound like a dick for mentioning it in the first place and now i sound like a dick for talking about it at 2 am. Im baffled, you seem confused. What are we doing with our lives here Phil.
You tell me ? I'm not the one taking such great offense to the use of the term "take on". And FYI, plenty of footballers were taking on defenders well before my arrival as well as that sky spots app.
Ps. 9:20 eastern time here. Having a few pints and things are just peachy right here. GS

You tell me ? I'm not the one taking such great offense to the use of the term "take on". And FYI, plenty of footballers were taking on defenders well before my arrival as well as that sky spots app.
Ps. 9:20 eastern time here. Having a few pints and things are just peachy right here. GS
Either way, no one would say "did you see lamela the other day, he had 7 successful take ons"
Just saying that makes me cringe a little. Its an unnecessary americanisation of the beautiful game.

Either way, no one would say "did you see lamela the other day, he had 7 successful take ons"
Just saying that makes me cringe a little. Its an unnecessary americanisation of the beautiful game.
The only thing cringe level is the use of "Americanisation" which I'm pretty sure isn't even a word. Nor have I ever heard the use of it before. Whining about America has zero relevant here my man. Caps lock or no Caps lock.

Back
Top Bottom