Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll never come to us
Almost certainly not - but he's the perfect example of an opportunistic signing if the stars aligned to make it at all possible.

There are a fair few excellent players who made ill-advised moves to mega rich clubs - some of whom may be more than happy to try their hand at PL football. It's paying their wages that would be the sticking point.

Looking at the Coutinho performance, the general performances of players like David Silva, Sanchez we really miss a small quick footed and above all strong little player who can play between the lines in compressed space able to hold up the ball and thread nice passes.

We don't have amazing pace to play on the counter so naturally when we press or try and press the space becomes compacted. Eriksen is not quite that type of player, he is not strong enough or quick footed IMO, it feels like if we are to play the way we are this type of player is essential. Only Dembele really offers the ability to hold the ball up in tight space but he lacks the creativity.

Does anyone know who would be a realistic target who could fit this bill and do you agree that this type of player is needed?
I want to try Lamela as a 10, just to see if he could do it, but if he can't, I do wonder about Pritchard in a couple of years time. He's not ready to be a consistent starter in all likelihood, but the pieces are there for him to potentially be that player.

Pastore is fucking class. He's not a Lamela, he's much more cerebral type of player. he would be gold playing in the left for us. A slower Hazard.

He is also lightweight, loves the odd ball hogging and is heavy on the form swings. Don't get me wrong, I rate the lad (as I do Lamela), I just don't see him as the type of player we need. Him and Eriksen would be all up in each others business. Don't really think he'd fancy us either :pochsulk:

I want to try Lamela as a 10, just to see if he could do it, but if he can't, I do wonder about Pritchard in a couple of years time. He's not ready to be a consistent starter in all likelihood, but the pieces are there for him to potentially be that player.
Weren't we trying that with Eriksen on the left in pre-season? I thought it was looking pretty good to be honest, but wasn't continued by Poch.

As we saw in the Burnley game when he came on, I think Lamela can be good at holding onto the ball, jinking past a player, and doing a nice pass to a teammate. That isn't always the easiest thing to do out on the wing, and I wish we'd give him another chance to play at number 10 during the (increasingly unimportant) run in.

If I recall correctly, wasn't he seen as Totti's successor in the Roma team and would have eventually been moved to number 10 there?

To be honest, the idea of Eriksen, Lamela, and Pritchard all rotating in that front three behind Kane makes me excited.

Weren't we trying that with Eriksen on the left in pre-season? I thought it was looking pretty good to be honest, but wasn't continued by Poch.

As we saw in the Burnley game when he came on, I think Lamela can be good at holding onto the ball, jinking past a player, and doing a nice pass to a teammate. That isn't always the easiest thing to do out on the wing, and I wish we'd give him another chance to play at number 10 during the (increasingly unimportant) run in.

If I recall correctly, wasn't he seen as Totti's successor in the Roma team and would have eventually been moved to number 10 there?

To be honest, the idea of Eriksen, Lamela, and Pritchard all rotating in that front three behind Kane makes me excited.
That was my impression too.

I think part of the problem is that we either rely on Eriksen for goals, in which case he's too far forward to be in the ideal playmaker location, or we let him play deeper, but have no consistent offensive threat outside Kane, with LW and RW currently sputtering.

I agree about an Eriksen-Lamela-Pritchard band, and want to see it tried, but we're just passengers on the Pochettino express.

That was my impression too.

I think part of the problem is that we either rely on Eriksen for goals, in which case he's too far forward to be in the ideal playmaker location, or we let him play deeper, but have no consistent offensive threat outside Kane, with LW and RW currently sputtering.

I agree about an Eriksen-Lamela-Pritchard band, and want to see it tried, but we're just passengers on the Pochettino express.

With Eriksen I prefer him out left as in the middle when recieving the ball he often gets bullied off it and we don't get him in the game, playing slightly to the left he IMO looks a bit more dangerous, as I said I think the central number 10 player has to be good at both receiving/holding the ball and making clever passes, that's possibly either Lamela or Pritchard but hard to tell, I would love us to have a player like David Silva in the team but someone like him is hard to find.

My reason for asking about this is at the moment the fundermental issue I see is that Chadli, Eriksen and Townsend/Paulinho are unable to retain possession and then link with those around them well. This means that Mason and Bentaleb move the ball forward only to see it come back again in the form of a counter attack. Burnley was a shocking performance but I think we would have done better with the likes of Dembele at number 10 holding off two or three players and therefore allowing us to retain the ball in an attacking area and build an attack. As far as I can see Kane is quite good at holding the ball, Dembele is excellent and Lamela is ok, the rest are poor at it and it really affects our build up play.

Last edited:
Get the feeling it's one of our second rate buys when we couldn't or wouldn't hit the proper target, obviously refering to Schneiderlin. if the Goal article is true (take with a pinch of salt) and he is just happy to take the money then it's another crap buy. From viewing him I think he is a good footballer but has a serious lack of pace.
I think he's a decent squad player and has been under used, could have allowed Mason some rest, who's now knackered.
From a handful of post match and press interviews I've seen of him his attitude appeared good, not a mercenary.

Pastore is a very technically superb player to watch, always liked him, built big and strong also for the type of player he is. Personally idlove him here, but we also need a fast little fucker, ie Lennon in his prime who will take a man and provide a quality delivery, whether that's an assist or cross. People like Depay, Gaitan, Salvio, Brahimi and Volland fit the criteria. I don't think Townsend will ever click in that sense and i don't know if Pritchard is that quick honestly. And the whole Pastore like hazard thing is reasonably accurate, very good technically, dribbling, passing, shooting but instead of having blistering pace alla hazard he is big and strong, able to bully a defender more.

Also with all these teams after Schneiderlin now, it's safe to say we won't be getting him, divert all attentions to Camacho now, only thing he lacks is premier league experience, I personally think he is better than Schneiderlin however in the CM destroyer role we really need, good in the air and willing to sit in front of back 4

Howedes would be a solid signing. Can play across the back four too. Centre back pool of Wimmer, Dier, Vertonghen and Howedes is pretty good. I'm assuming we'll be selling Kaboul, Chiriches and Fazio in the summer if that is the case. Three of those four capable of filling in at full back too if needed.

I'm on for scouting the German market.

Looks like we are really scouting the German market. I like it because you can get quality for a reasonable price there.
Absolutely right. & the German league is far more like the EPL than the Spanish, Italian or French (etc) leagues. Fast paced & physical so it's not as big a culture shock to players coming from a league like that to ours.

Howedes would be a fantastic signing, World Cup winner, can play all across the back line and is solid at that the back no nonsense defender. He is realistically the best CB within our status and price range, will be a difficult but magnificent signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom