The Mighty Spurs - Etihad FC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This game was better than a lot of the hammerings the last couple of season, in many respects. Kinda weird though. I felt the game was better. The score wasn't that much different from the usual score. But the ref, even though poor, only gifted them two of the four goals. The two last penalties was correct, the red card was correct. Our penalty shouldn't have been one.

Eriksen played his best game of the season. Soldado his best game in the club. I'm just so sad for the latter, that he didn't convert the penalty. If he did, this game could have given him a much needed confidence boost. Now it may just reinforce the negativity :(

Unpacking that Soldado performance is nearly impossible. He played very well at times and showed as he normally does that he is very talented. But at the end of the day missing any in game penalty is inexcusable. Being a good striker means succeeding in the smallest of margins. You have to take the chances you get because that is what the shifts results of games.

Soldado no matter how good he is elsewhere around the pitch just can't put the ball in the back of the net. You can't win big with a striker like that unfortunately. Bury that penalty and the game is entirely different. It's inexcusable to miss like that. It's frustrating that Soldado put in such a good performance but the penalty IMO nullfies it all. That's the life you live as a striker, you have to take your chances or you've failed. It's like a defender who has a solid game but makes the game changing error that leads to a goal. It doesn't matter how else they've contributed, as they've failed in the ultimate goal of the game.

It's so depressing to see a guy like Soldado flounder out there like that but ultimately he's just never been good enough for us. Always comes up short. You have to make penalties if you're a striker. He just doesn't do the main job a striker should which is inexcusable.

One thing that was clearly different between the sides was the pace of the attacks. We seemed to counter but hold the ball or give it away whereas they have so much pace that they were constantly getting in behind us... Thats what we lack in my opinion....unfortunately we got rid of our best player to exploit that...we need to find a new one. Also we severely lack walker on the right

Unpacking that Soldado performance is nearly impossible. He played very well at times and showed as he normally does that he is very talented. But at the end of the day missing any in game penalty is inexcusable. Being a good striker means succeeding in the smallest of margins. You have to take the chances you get because that is what the shifts results of games.

Soldado no matter how good he is elsewhere around the pitch just can't put the ball in the back of the net. You can't win big with a striker like that unfortunately. Bury that penalty and the game is entirely different. It's inexcusable to miss like that. It's frustrating that Soldado put in such a good performance but the penalty IMO nullfies it all. That's the life you live as a striker, you have to take your chances or you've failed. It's like a defender who has a solid game but makes the game changing error that leads to a goal. It doesn't matter how else they've contributed, as they've failed in the ultimate goal of the game.

It's so depressing to see a guy like Soldado flounder out there like that but ultimately he's just never been good enough for us. Always comes up short. You have to make penalties if you're a striker. He just doesn't do the main job a striker should which is inexcusable.
Fair point but a 4 from 5 pen record is decent, I think it's even better if you include cup games.

Some things from that game, we were great, score line did not translate to the game, ref was just... I have run out words to describe his performance, players are performing and improving to the Poch system(our goal came from high pressing), lamela had a blip, soldado was so much better but he needs a partner up top to put the ball in the net and help him out and we need to look at the big picture, we are a developing team under a new manager, we are not going to beat a team who are champions and are going to be there or thereabouts again this season due to their facilities and money away from home on paper.
But I was very impressed, we got beaten by a quality striker other than that we were better all other the pitch for large portions(after the red we had no chance) against a team who has gone through all of this development already. We just need to keep faith and move on. Anyways we will smash them at WHL next time so no worries.
COYS

Honestly I'm a little sickened how so close to the end of the game we have people coming on here using the scoreline to try and prove their pathetic little points. I am really questioning if some people prefer to be proved right than see Tottenham win.

That's a big leap, from Townsend to the red card. How the hell was I supposed to join those dots?
Ok I will break this down for you, Townsend hasn't had much time in the Prem this season like Fazio, so as you give me a stat saying he hasn't had a goal or assist in his limited appearances I told you a stat that you would like that Fazio has 1 Premier League start and 1 red card, now because you brought Townsend up how many minutes has he played in the BPL?

I agree its so frustrating, he puts in a pass modric would be proud of first half then misses the penalty whe thats the one thing you should.rely on him doing

On the plus side I stuck with Lloris for fantasy football and he got me 7 points before bonus points are even taken into account. We are so lucky to have him, please don't leave us!!! :avbpray::memeokay:

Fair point but a 4 from 5 pen record is decent, I think it's even better if you include cup games.

Agreed, but this was such a crucial one. My main point was just that almost his entire track record here is faltering when we need that extra quality. It's so frustrating to say but ultimately he just isn't close to good enough for us. It sucks and I hate that it's like that.

It just feels so unfair that a player who you can see has quality just can't do it. Just like today's result, it feels so unfair and makes me want to throw things. But that's just the essence of #Spursy I suppose.

Agreed, but this was such a crucial one. My main point was just that almost his entire track record here is faltering when we need that extra quality. It's so frustrating to say but ultimately he just isn't close to good enough for us. It sucks and I hate that it's like that.

It just feels so unfair that a player who you can see has quality just can't do it. Just like today's result, it feels so unfair and makes me want to throw things. But that's just the essence of #Spursy I suppose.
TIME TO THROW THINGS!

No wait, I must learn my lesson... Sprained my ankle last year because of the Kaboul red against Chelsea :pochfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom