Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
If Townsend learned how to make a few of those shots it would open things up a great deal for him. He also needs to spend more time staying wide or passing when he does cut.

His decision making is pretty sub par. Let's hope it catches up with his physical game. He needs to try harder also. He seems like he fades too quickly and perhaps loses interest.

Regarding his shooting, I've said it before he never disguises and shots, crosses or through balls.

He looks like a rugby kicker it's so obvious from his wind up when he's going to let fly.

This recent interview from Lloris explains what we need more of.

hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/13/you-cannot-read-his-shot-tottenham-star-lloris-talks-up-team-mat/

The French goalkeeper, who has become a fan favourite at White Hart Lane, took part in a question and answer session on the club’s official Facebook page today, and said that Eriksen’s shooting style is the one he has the most problems dealing with.

When asked whose shot at the club was the trickiest to save, he said: “Eriksen. You cannot read his shot.”

I'm afraid it's a problem we have with our English players for ages. Rose, walker, Townsend, JJ, Dawson, Hudd etc wind up, open up their bodies, and it's FUCKING OBVIOUS what they are going to do and where it's going. Defoe was an exception who didn't need much back lift and had a good snapshot but his aim, positioning and greed was his limitation.

We can be so dumb, predictable and a liability which results in counters. Our English players play so many hospital balls that are cut out because they all have a poker tell.

Im so glad we swept out all the coaches. This old boys network we had were useless.

I sound harsh but I think it's our biggest issue.

Last edited:
Andros will be a great squad player for us this season. I'd imagine Poch will want more goals from the wingers this season than we got last season, and Andros will be more than happy to have a go. If his decision making improves he still has a lot to offer.

gibbs131

I'll go ahead and agree with you a little bit here. I don't know if it's such a big issue as you claim or if our players do it more than others, but always swinging wildly when shooting is something a lot of players need to get away from. Spontaneous finishes, hidden by the step seem to end up in a goal more often. Messi is crazy good at hiding his shots, such a quick step that you'll never know when he'll release it.

Ronaldo was a prime example of the childish toe-ball finish. It doesn't matter if the shot is a lot worse than a wrist hit if the keeper never sees it coming.

Andros will be a great squad player for us this season. I'd imagine Poch will want more goals from the wingers this season than we got last season, and Andros will be more than happy to have a go. If his decision making improves he still has a lot to offer.

I think he had the second worst shots to goals ratio in the prem last season. IMO it is absolutely essential that Townsend is kept away from the development of our team.

In the prem: No goals from any of his shots and I'm pretty sure he took the most. And not a single assist.

Add his history to that where he has scored/created very little at all stages of his pro career and you have a liability in attack.

He can't do any worse, and he will score and assist in the future, but long term his lack of real impact in attack, and his pourus nature off the ball will keep the soft spurs train rolling.

At this point it's a gamble. He's been with so many clubs, had a season here and has never had a monster season with goal and creative tallys. It's frustrating because he has so much talent with the ba at his feet.

The players we oppose for top 4 can constantly put in 15 to 20 combined goals and assists per season from their attacking positions. We can't be sentimental about him being a hard worker and a phenomenal dribbler of the ball. Even though lamela showed fuck all like Townsend did last season, Lamela and eriksen have hit these style targets with their teams in the past and they should be developed as the creative heart of our season. It's less of a gamble.

And IMO holtby should be backup for the two.

This is not an attack but an enquiry. How do you know exactly how much Poch can do? I mean where do you get this stuff from?
P.S. I know you won't answer.

IMO Townsend improving is almost a lost cause. Why waste time developing him when we can spend more time on players with less holes in their game. What is it going to do? Take him from scoring 1 prem goal a season and no assists to 3 goals a season?

He'll get better but he still won't be good enough.

He has shown way too many similarities as Lennon. Do we want another 6 years of Lennon style crossing and shooting from him?

I would rather Kane, Bentaleb, Holtby etc all be in front of him for one on one coaching. Let alone the eriksens and lamelas.

I was FUCKING AMAZED to see Townsend take a corner in a preseason game. If he does become a pet project for Poch for free kicks, corners etc it will be a waste of time.

If him and Lennon are a mainstay in the prem team, Poch won't last long IMO. English attackers have let down all of our managers. Defoe, Lennon, Crouch, Townsend, Bent, Bentley etc all suffer from a grass roots uncoachable aspect. I'm hoping Kane bucks the trend but I have seen improvement in him. It's been sideways or backwards for a lot of our players. I don't think Poch is a miracle worker. He's got a great rep, but some of our players play dumb.

IMO Townsend improving is almost a lost cause. Why waste time developing him when we can spend more time on players with less holes in their game. What is it going to do? Take him from scoring 1 prem goal a season and no assists to 3 goals a season?

He has shown way too many similarities as Lennon. Do we want another 6 years of Lennon style crossing and shooting from him?

I would rather Kane, Bentaleb, Holtby etc all be in front of him for one on one coaching. Let alone the eriksens and lamelas.

I was FUCKING AMAZED to see Townsend take a corner in a preseason game. If he does become a pet project for Poch for free kicks, corners etc it will be a waste of time.

If him and Lennon are a mainstay in the prem team, Poch won't last long IMO. English attackers have let down all of our managers. Defoe, Lennon, Crouch, Townsend, Bent, Bentley etc all suffer from a grass roots uncoachable aspect. I'm hoping Kane bucks the trend but I have seen improvement in him. It's been sideways or backwards for a lot of our players. I don't think Poch is a miracle worker. He's got a great rep, but some of our players play dumb.
Ok I was wrong, thanks for the answer. I apologise if I've been on at you, I'll chill. I daresay we will disagree in the future, but so what? Keep it coming.

I can not agree with your sentiment in regards to players being lost causes. There are gaps in Townsends game but its not his ability its his 'football brain'. He needs to learn and understand when to do the right thing. He needs to understand what to do in every situation wherever he is on the pitch (its not rocket science) you either pass or you shot. Giving him responsibility to take corners/free kicks etc.. will allow him to focus on developing this part of his game, which is a good thing.

We have seen lots of foreign forwards bought, Bony, Lukaku for example. I would not want at Tottenham. I honestly believe Townsend/Kane will come good and prove you and many others wrong. Lennon will have his best season yet this year, for sure. He owes it to THFc.

I agree with they "all suffer from a grass roots uncoachable aspect". This is where foreign managers can do good at senior level? Also I agree with "some of our players play dumb" that needs to change and I believe Poch will work hard at this.

I can not agree with your sentiment in regards to players being lost causes. There are gaps in Townsends game but its not his ability its his 'football brain'. He needs to learn and understand when to do the right thing. He needs to understand what to do in every situation wherever he is on the pitch (its not rocket science) you either pass or you shot. Giving him responsibility to take corners/free kicks etc.. will allow him to focus on developing this part of his game, which is a good thing.

We have seen lots of foreign forwards bought, Bony, Lukaku for example. I would not want at Tottenham. I honestly believe Townsend/Kane will come good and prove you and many others wrong. Lennon will have his best season yet this year, for sure. He owes it to THFc.

I agree with they "all suffer from a grass roots uncoachable aspect". This is where foreign managers can do good at senior level? Also I agree with "some of our players play dumb" that needs to change and I believe Poch will work hard at this.
Agree with this. Townsend is impetuous & does lack composure. Training & maturity should iron out these problems. If his decision making cannot improve, then I would agree that he won't ever make it to the top level. But I don't believe he is a lost cause just yet.

I tend to go on trends. IMO the only English players we have had that improved were Carrick who came from another club who had a good youth setup at the time. Sheringham, Judas and King improved. But I think they were products of Lillyshawl who put forward some monster players.

I can't think of many other Enlgish players who came and improved and there has been 100's. So the percentage is small.

There has been a clean sweep at spurs with coaching. So that is a positive. New training grounds could help. And what the Sherwood era did with the kids seems to be positive. So there is hope.

If Townsend, Lennon, Carroll, naughton, Rose etc are to be featured, IMO it had to be after at least a year of coaching with cup games before they stink up our top 4 hopes. I admit the potential is there. But there is so much missing, even the basics of holding a line or drawing defenders etc. so much work to be done.

So do we want to bog him down with dim bulbs to rework when we have players who have the basics covered and have already shown a team game?

I tend to go on trends. IMO the only English players we have had that improved were Carrick who came from another club who had a good youth setup at the time. Sheringham, Judas and King improved. But I think they were products of Lillyshawl who put forward some monster players.

I can't think of many other Enlgish players who came and improved and there has been 100's. So the percentage is small.

There has been a clean sweep at spurs with coaching. So that is a positive. New training grounds could help. And what the Sherwood era did with the kids seems to be positive. So there is hope.

If Townsend, Lennon, Carroll, naughton, Rose etc are to be featured, IMO it had to be after at least a year of coaching with cup games before they stink up our top 4 hopes. I admit the potential is there. But there is so much missing, even the basics of holding a line or drawing defenders etc. so much work to be done.

So do we want to bog him down with dim bulbs to rework when we have players who have the basics covered and have already shown a team game?

Townsend just needs to keep things simple, make the right choices, be in control and run his socks off.
He's only 23 young, I have underpants older than him.

Agree, It's how he interacts/compliments with the team, making the right choices - not how good he looks and how much skill he displays . Because of squad rotaion football, this may suit him?

Players today, need to clear their minds of glory and wealth and shed some blood, sweat and tears - the rewards will take care of themselves.

Townsend, to me, for right now, should not be Poch's focus. We are on the eve of the start of the season. Focus on our starting XI, play him as a sub. If he shows improvement, focus on coaxing more out of him and developing him more. Right now I don't think he is capable. But, like others have said, with the right coaching he could become integral as a winger.

Townsend is truly a huge question mark. His play is so awful sometimes yet we all want him to succeed. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, I believe the kid has the potential.

seriously guys, why do you waste your time responding to Gibberish's posts? The guy is borderline certifiable and is almost devoid of any rational knowledge or intelligence where football is concerned.
You all know the adage about the problem of arguing with idiots, they simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Townsend, to me, for right now, should not be Poch's focus. We are on the eve of the start of the season. Focus on our starting XI, play him as a sub. If he shows improvement, focus on coaxing more out of him and developing him more. Right now I don't think he is capable. But, like others have said, with the right coaching he could become integral as a winger.

Townsend is truly a huge question mark. His play is so awful sometimes yet we all want him to succeed. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, I believe the kid has the potential.

I'm sure he's not Poch's focus at the moment. In fact, I bet it's some time before any specific individual receives anywhere close to as much focused time as flat out imprinting his unusual tactics on the general squad. For now, I hope we keep Townsend has a strong impact sub, as despite his lackings in "technical knowledge," his physical traits are not something a tired defender wants to face late in any match. As such, I think he deserves a place in the squad, and then with time and more "meshing" Poch can then divert him and other players more individual attention.

Back
Top Bottom