Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Bloody hell the lads pulled a gooden.

BrAEGS9CEAEyX6J.jpg

BqcG_XECMAA5rgd.jpg

Looks like the fat contract we gave him in oct is kicking in nicely. Set up for life.

London/wages have done for so many English spurs players. Bentley, Defoe, jj, hudd, Ohara, Lennon etc all promising players larging it with skanks etc and their form drops.

To be honest, even if Townsends obsession with the game trumps the head turning trappings of fame like Jurgen, bale, Carrick etc I still don't think he is a top 4 winger.

I don't think he has the skills to be a top tier player. He can't cross, pass or shoot. He does not have the god given talent beyond dribbling. And he's no longer a secret so managers adjusted for his game.

His problem IMO is insurmountable. When he cocks back his peg for that final shot, through ball or cross, it's just really bad technique and ability.

He seems to be doing well on 'the circuit' earning money from video game promotions, punditry, red carpets and all of the vapid shit their handlers book for them.

I'm not going to hold my breath that the new contract is going to repay the team long term. I'd love to be proven wrong but every time I see that train wreck that is his contact with the ball/follow through/spinning out of control and shanked balance I just can't see it.

Looks like the fat contract we gave him in oct is kicking in nicely. Set up for life.

London/wages have done for so many English spurs players. Bentley, Defoe, jj, hudd, Ohara, Lennon etc all promising players larging it with skanks etc and their form drops.

To be honest, even if Townsends obsession with the game trumps the head turning trappings of fame like Jurgen, bale, Carrick etc I still don't think he is a top 4 winger.

I don't think he has the skills to be a top tier player. He can't cross, pass or shoot. He does not have the god given talent beyond dribbling. And he's no longer a secret so managers adjusted for his game.

His problem IMO is insurmountable. When he cocks back his peg for that final shot, through ball or cross, it's just really bad technique and ability.

He seems to be doing well on 'the circuit' earning money from video game promotions, punditry, red carpets and all of the vapid shit their handlers book for them.

I'm not going to hold my breath that the new contract is going to repay the team long term. I'd love to be proven wrong but every time I see that train wreck that is his contact with the ball/follow through/spinning out of control and shanked balance I just can't see it.
He's on 15k a week... That's nothing in modern football.

He definitely has the skills, he can shoot, cross and dribble very well when he wants, his problem is his brain. Makes the wrong decisions on when to take a man on and cross or shoot and when to just pass.

Whether Poch can rewire his brain or not idk.

He definitely has the skills, he can shoot, cross and dribble very well when he wants.

I disagree. He has the second worst shots to goals record in the entire prem. (And his goal was a scuffed cross) and zero assists.

When the ball leaves his foot is his problem. He simply can't kick a ball. It really is that simple. The fact that he is a head down player is just another negative. If he was a heads up player, he still can't do anything about it because his accuracy is diabolical.

I disagree. He has the second worst shots to goals record in the entire prem. (And his goal was a scuffed cross) and zero assists.

When the ball leaves his foot is his problem. He simply can't kick a ball. It really is that simple. The fact that he is a head down player is just another negative. If he was a heads up player, he still can't do anything about it because his accuracy is diabolical.
His accuracy really isn't bad. It's the situations he's deciding to shoot from that's the problem imo and I hope he gets a lot of time on the left this season because in the cameos he made there, when he's decided to beat his man and cross it I've been impressed. (and he's forced into being unable to cut in and shoot)

I hope Poch is as good at getting the best out of players as people say, I could see a very big improvement from Townsend if so.

His accuracy really isn't bad. It's the situations he's deciding to shoot from that's the problem imo and I hope he gets a lot of time on the left this season because in the cameos he made there, when he's decided to beat his man and cross it I've been impressed. (and he's forced into being unable to cut in and shoot)

I hope Poch is as good at getting the best out of players as people say, I could see a very big improvement from Townsend if so.

I don't think you can teach the worst winger in the prem to improve to the level we need.

Make no mistake: 1 goal from from almost 60 attempts and zero assists from a winger in a team that challenged for 4th? That really can be a genuine contender for WORST WINGER IN THE PREM.

He's not that young, had no history of assists or goals for many many clubs he's played for. His improvement would have to be off the charts for him to be as good as his peers in the top 4.

The only reason he's even in the conversation for us is because he looks fucking amazing dribbling and that goes a long way with Spurs fans. But what use is a Ginola with the finishing and final ball of Dawson?

IMO pochs homework is piled high enough without adding Townsends yawning gap in his skillset to stink up our training ground.

Let's face it, statistically he can't do any worse next season. But it's silky players with little return like him that has been our soft predictable Lennon like curse for ages.

Our attacking/coaching should be concentrated on players that have shooting, crossing ability and a heads up game. Goals were a problem last season. We can't wait for Townsend to change his entire attacking skillset. We'll just lose ground. We already have. Why double down?

Last edited:

Coaching, coaching and more coaching. Poor kid came up under AVB and Sherwood.

He's played on both sides this season and was arguably worse on the left.

I completely agree he was worse on the left, which was the "wrong side" I was referring to. Harry was the first one to let him predominantly feature on the right, and for once he finally had a consistently strong loan spell.

I wouldn't rely on stats as a whole but Poch really does need to get into what our players actually contribute to a game. In all honesty I think he is far too astute to have the wool pulled over his eyes by players like Townsend, Lennon and Rose therefore, I think they will all be squad players or moved on.
Let's face it Townsend isn't even at Azza's level and he average, again a good servant to the club but he is just okay. One of them needs to go in my opinion as we can't carry both of them.

In all honesty I think he is far too astute to have the wool pulled over his eyes by players like Townsend, Lennon and Rose therefore, I think they will all be squad players or moved on.

I think it is absolutely key that the 3 players you mentioned don't mug Poch and get regular prem starting positions.

With that in mind, I think nearly all new signings should have pace. For us to be well rounded we do need to sprinkle in some speedsters that have an end product or defensive ability.

We have a great core of players but pace is not our strong set outside walker and a fit Kaboul.

Couldn't agree more mr Gibbs, runs from deep and counter attacking did drop off massively under AVB and Sherwood, obviously bale going had a big impact on that but his pace hasn't been replaced. Nothing better than seeing two or three break from our own box with lung busting runs to put immediate pressure on opposing teams. Not saying it's what we should base everything around but it's certainly a good weapon to have in the armoury.
Really hoping Lamela might help a bit with that as he is no slouch but when you look at what you'd call our quicker players such as walker,Lennon, Townsend etc, even if they do break away the final ball to Ade is 99 times out of a 100 an absolute hospital pass!

I don't think you can teach the worst winger in the prem to improve to the level we need.

Make no mistake: 1 goal from from almost 60 attempts and zero assists from a winger in a team that challenged for 4th? That really can be a genuine contender for WORST WINGER IN THE PREM.

He's not that young, had no history of assists or goals for many many clubs he's played for. His improvement would have to be off the charts for him to be as good as his peers in the top 4.

The only reason he's even in the conversation for us is because he looks fucking amazing dribbling and that goes a long way with Spurs fans. But what use is a Ginola with the finishing and final ball of Dawson?

IMO pochs homework is piled high enough without adding Townsends yawning gap in his skillset to stink up our training ground.

Let's face it, statistically he can't do any worse next season. But it's silky players with little return like him that has been our soft predictable Lennon like curse for ages.

Our attacking/coaching should be concentrated on players that have shooting, crossing ability and a heads up game. Goals were a problem last season. We can't wait for Townsend to change his entire attacking skillset. We'll just lose ground. We already have. Why double down?
That was due to poor finishing as much as anything. How many times did Andros put it on a plate for someone only for them to scuff it up? That's not his fault and I suspect if he'd been fit when Ade + Kane were playing up top he'd have had many assists. He's actually quite good at crossing, he just was unlucky to the stat men because of how many of the chances he created were fluffed. Also Gibbs I know you slate Soldado so you can't have it both ways and say he didn't create chances.

I'd also like to point out the goal he scored was not a fluffed cross. It was a great cross that it appears Holtby dummied to allow it to go in.

Thought Townsend was excellent prior to last season, I also really appreciate his work ethic and he genuinely seems to want to keep improving. Hes got the tools but his decision making is what let him down and thats something that can be learned/taught. Certainly worth keeping on board for at least another season

I like Townsend, and I like his determination. The sheer number of times he has been loaned out, yet he is still at WHL. What I don't like is his poor crossing ability, or the fact that he continually came inside or had a shot, which had very limited results. A winger that has such a poor return with goals and assists doesn't bring much to the team, unfortunately. Hopefully we will see something from Lamela this season which will push Andros' game on.

That was due to poor finishing as much as anything. How many times did Andros put it on a plate for someone only for them to scuff it up?

That happens to top 4 wingers too. Strikers scuff their fair share of sitters every game but over the course of the season the class of the final ball is superior.

Back
Top Bottom