Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Tim said he thought he would, not long after saying he wasn't good enough to get into his spurs team.

Not sure if he's trolling Hodge there...?
I genuinely think he forgets all the shit he spouts and ends up contradicting himself in an embarrassing fashion

I genuinely think he forgets all the shit he spouts and ends up contradicting himself in an embarrassing fashion

I'd imagine he's got a really positive twin/clone who he lets out to do press conferences while he's having din dins at Jim White's house - he forgets to catch up on what Tim Sherwood 2.0 has been saying.

Despite the result of the poll Townsie doesn't seem to have many supporters here as far as I interprete the posts here the right way...
I personally think that he can be a really superb player if he works on his decision making. Because let's be honest, his dribblings are insane, he has a lot of speed and his crosses are definitely better than e.g. the ones of Lennon (although that's not necessarily a compliment ;) ). The problem is that he often choses the wrong "last move" or chooses the wrong moment to pass/shoot/cross.

But if he did he could be as important for the team as Eriksen and Ade are at the moment.

Despite the result of the poll Townsie doesn't seem to have many supporters here as far as I interprete the posts here the right way...
I personally think that he can be a really superb player if he works on his decision making. Because let's be honest, his dribblings are insane, he has a lot of speed and his crosses are definitely better than e.g. the ones of Lennon (although that's not necessarily a compliment ;) ). The problem is that he often choses the wrong "last move" or chooses the wrong moment to pass/shoot/cross.

But if he did he could be as important for the team as Eriksen and Ade are at the moment.
Have to agree. He has the raw talent to be a really special player, he just needs direction.

I personally think that he can be a really superb player if he works on his decision making.

That is a huge ask. He's been the worst at the club at that aspect. I'm sorry but zero prem assists for a team going for 4th with the opportunities/role he has had, along with zero prem goals from any shots he has had at goal is diabolical.

Don't get mesmerized by the flash. He is a classic, nailed on, soft Spurs player and we have younger players who deserve more time than he does.

That is a huge ask. He's been the worst at the club at that aspect. I'm sorry but zero prem assists for a team going for 4th with the opportunities/role he has had, along with zero prem goals from any shots he has had at goal is diabolical.

Don't get mesmerized by the flash. He is a classic, nailed on, soft Spurs player and we have younger players who deserve more time than he does.

Yes it's a huge task for sure, but he's still quite young. This was his first season as a Spurs regular and he has still time left. I think a Spurs legend (I don't remember who) said he'd love to work with Andros on that thing because he believed in his abilities. Some extra training might help...

So I've got a simple question for you, Gibbsy. But first, a deal: you don't respond with anything pertaining to any other players you've not rated, or how you're being more "realistic" than anyone else. Likewise, I promise you I will not criticize your response at all if you adhere to this. This is a very basic question, and I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts on the matter. So here goes:

Lamela is a young, flashy player who has as of yet done even less to suggest he's adaptable to the Prem. Why, in your opinion, does he deserve more of a chance than a player that's barely older than him, homegrown, and a Spurs academy lad? Ftr, I'd like something more than simply posting a highlight film of him from Serie A. Should you choose to use it as reference, that's all well and good, but I'd like to see more including a thought out explanation as to why those traits would translate to play in England.

Last edited:
So I've got a simple question for you, Gibbsy. But first, a deal: you don't respond with anything pertaining to any other players you've not rated, or how you're being more "realistic" than anyone else. Likewise, I promise you I will not criticize your response at all if you adhere to this. This is a very basic question, and I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts on the matter. So here goes:

Lamela is a young, flashy player who has as of yet done even less to suggest he's adaptable to the Prem. Why, in your opinion, does he deserve more of a chance than a player that's barely older than him, homegrown, and a Spurs academy lad? Ftr, I'd like something more than simply posting a highlight film of him from Serie A. Should you choose to use it as reference, that's all well and good, but I'd like to see more including a thought out explanation as to why those traits would translate to play in England.

He has something Townsend does not. A history of goal scoring. 15 goals in 30 games last year.

I only wish Lamela had taken Townsends 56 shots at goal this season. Looks like he has a cracked vertebrae.

He could be another soldado, but I would like to see him with protection behind him.

So I've got a simple question for you, Gibbsy. But first, a deal: you don't respond with anything pertaining to any other players you've not rated, or how you're being "realistic" than anyone else. Likewise, I promise you I will not criticize your response at all if you adhere to this. This is a very basic question, and I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts on the matter. So here goes:

Hopefully Lamela has been bulking up during his time in the training room. Otherwise, I don't think he has many other flaws that would keep him from being a good prem. player. The only thing you're losing if you replace Townsend with Lamela is a little pace, otherwise (completely based on youtube/his two Europa games) I think he's far better at everything Townsend is 'good' at. That being said, I think there's a place for Townsend on the left. Move Eriksen central, have Lamela in on the right as an attacker and train Townsend to be a supplier.

I know this season he hasn't looked sharp with his crossing/passing, but given better instructions and a manager dedicated to making him better I think Townsend could end up being a pretty decent left mid for us.

He has something Townsend does not. A history of goal scoring. 15 goals in 30 games last year.

I only wish Lamela had taken Townsends 56 shots at goal this season. Looks like he has a cracked vertebrae.

He could be another soldado, but I would like to see him with protection behind him.

It's true, Townsend does not have such a previous scoring pedigree. But why do you believe that will necessarily translate to the Prem?

Yes it's a huge task for sure, but he's still quite young. This was his first season as a Spurs regular and he has still time left. I think a Spurs legend (I don't remember who) said he'd love to work with Andros on that thing because he believed in his abilities. Some extra training might help...

He's never had a history of being creative or a danger in front of goal at any level.

Out training is diabolical. We have younger players who already have good heads up technique and finishing. If ginola etc wanted to help training, I would rather other players get it.

Not saying he is a lost cause, he can't do any worse in the final third, but he's part of the dumb buildup play and he is a liability in thAt respect. Ask soldado who starved. Townsend could have cost us over 50 million such was his impact on Lamela being benched and soldado being starved and humiliated with our brainless wingplay.

Hopefully Lamela has been bulking up during his time in the training room. Otherwise, I don't think he has many other flaws that would keep him from being a good prem. player. The only thing you're losing if you replace Townsend with Lamela is a little pace, otherwise (completely based on youtube/his two Europa games) I think he's far better at everything Townsend is 'good' at. That being said, I think there's a place for Townsend on the left. Move Eriksen central, have Lamela in on the right as an attacker and train Townsend to be a supplier.

I know this season he hasn't looked sharp with his crossing/passing, but given better instructions and a manager dedicated to making him better I think Townsend could end up being a pretty decent left mid for us.

It seems to me that Townsend has actually been far worse on the left than on the right. To me, Townsend's frequency of orbital shots have established an illusion that he's more predictable on the right, when in reality he never takes his man on from the left except to get to the byline. I like that Townsend can provide cover for both sides, but I really don't want to see him be our first choice on the left next season at the expense of a stronger option we could bring in. Our left wing has not been addressed since Bale went inverted while we sandbagged on the right. I'm quite confident that the position will be one of the most aggressively addressed in the summer window.

I do absolutely agree with you however, that some good individual coaching could go very far with him. He certainly has all the physical attributes necessary to succeed.

Last edited:
It's true, Townsend does not have such a previous scoring pedigree. But why do you believe that will necessarily translate to the Prem?

I think he has the intelligence we are crying out for. And a bigger box of tricks, most of which is positioning and being in the right place at the right time for scoring opportunities.

We need goals from midfield.

I think he has the intelligence we are crying out for. And a bigger box of tricks, most of which is positioning and being in the right place at the right time for scoring opportunities.

We need goals from midfield.

I think you're right that he's a more intelligent player, and is certainly better at finding the spaces for himself and others. That last part is also the reason why I don't feel Chadli should be our first choice on the left, as he has almost never looked for any of those alleys and gone for shot or cross. The tricks part though is debatable, since while the intelligence factor does indeed work into Lamela's favor, he's less reliant on his right foot as Townsend is. Lamela interestingly enough (because of being specifically intended to replace) features several components of his play in which he chooses to use his left at the expense of his right. These things often get players into trouble at lesser levels, but due to the quality of Bale and Lamela they get away with using them and continue to do so at the professional level.

It seems to me that Townsend has actually been far worse on the left than on the right. To me, Townsend's frequency of orbital shots have established an illusion that he's more predictable on the right, when in reality he never takes his man on from the left except to get to the byline. I like that Townsend can provide cover for both sides, but I really don't want to see him be our first choice on the left next season at the expense of a stronger option we could bring in. Our left wing has not been addressed since Bale went inverted, while we sandbagged on the right. I'm quite confident that the position will be one of the most aggressively addressed in the summer window. I do absolutely agree with you however, that some good individual coaching could go very far with him. He certainly has all the physical attributes necessary to succeed.

I agree. I believe that was one of the straws thar got me banned from vital. When Townsends drought was dragging, I was told I was wrong/troll and he was just out of position. When he was played on the left and was even worse, the sour grapes was just too much.

I agree he needs good coaching, but think other players will learn quicker and can possibly go onto being world class and not another Lennon.

Yes, definitely. But I also think Townsend can be a good player on the left wing, given the fact that his right foot isn't that bad (I think his first England goal he shoot with the right foot) and his crosses are quite good aswell, better than Lennons imo. I think his player type is quite comparable to Bale, but Bale knew how to use his ability on the left wing, while Townsend doesn't seem to know it. So it's one more time a mental problem if you ask me.

I agree. I believe that was one of the straws thar got me banned from vital. When Townsends drought was dragging, I was told I was wrong/troll and he was just out of position. When he was played on the left and was even worse, the sour grapes was just too much.

The majority have held to the illusion, and I have as well have received a sizable number of negative ratings and arguments elsewhere from making such a point. He and Chadli likely have almost identical pass and dribble maps from the left (either to byline to cross or pass backwards to center mids), but the only difference is Chadli can actually cut back in to shoot accurately from the left. It would be far better for the squad, including Townsend, for him to focus on the right and sharing time with Lamela while we bring in a more immediately impacting option on the left.

I don't feel Chadli should be our first choice on the left, as he has almost never looked for any of those alleys and gone for shot or cross. The tricks part though is debatable, since .

Chadli for me is a dark horse. I think he already has more in his locker than most of the team.

He's just not angry enough. If you put walkers will in him, he could be a fucking beast IMO.

Back
Top Bottom