Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note,

eFwmCuF.png

Benitez needs to take a running jump

Anyone know anything about Miguel Lopes? Squad player for Lyon that is apparently going to come in to replace Naughton.
Apparently, after reading a bit about him and some reviews, he's a shit player. Not sure how valid that is, but a lot of (Spurs) fans that know about him, said they would rather keep Naughton. And it seems Sporting really want to sell this fella too. So who knows what's up with all this...

I've followed Konoplyanka rather borderline stalkerish since the Euros in 2012, and I can assure you he is no flavor of the month foreign wannabe. He's a damn fine winger. Good at football too.

I'm massively against bringing in a player who can't even train until October, off the back of an injury with a very poor track record of full recovery, who heavily relies on his pace, and is not the type of winger to take on the compact defenses we see at Spurs. He's the type to get in behind in the space, like his training as a striker, and receive the creativity rather than dictate it. He does this with his pace and clever runs, and he won't have the former for awhile, if ever, because of that injury. Why we are getting him over a healthy option is just beyond me.

I have to disagree with just about every assertion you've made there. ACLs heal fine with modern medicine, there are people who don't recover fully but it's a low percentage. I think you're overrating Rodriguez's pace. He's fast but he's hardly Aaron Lennon when it comes to reliance on it. He's large, strong, and a helluva finisher.

He does get into space and make runs behind, that's exactly what we need. He's probably going to be playing with Eriksen, Lamela, and one of Adebayor/Soldado/Kane. None of those players is what you would you would consider to be direct whatsoever. He offers something completely different than that group of creative passing players. We need a player like Rodriguez to make good runs for those guys to pick out. A player to stretch the defense.

What healthy options? Have we really been linked to anyone on the LW besides Griezmann which was just ludicrous. All the Kono links have dried up and supposedly his situation is complicated. Depay will probably wait for United. I think you're looking far too short term with this one. This year will be a transitional for us. Hopefully we'll have Pochettino's system in place and plugged most of the holes and next summer we can spend big on a dynamic striker with the necessary squad behind it. Rodriguez isnt an instant gratification purchase, but it could pay off massively in the long run. He's a 24 year old Englishman who was top ten in league scoring last season. Same amount of goals as Lukaku. More than Hazard and Remy. I could go on.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Jay Rod is atm the better player, but losing Townsend feels a bit like a gamble to me, let alone purchasing Jay Rod too. If we do go that route, hopefully we have a buy-back clause for Townsend, or something.

JDK JDK ... You seem pretty content with Jay Rod. So what do you think about such a swap deal?

Sure I'm content with it. Rodriguez was the second highest goal scoring non-striker in the league last season behind only Yaya Toure. Plus he's English, 24, and played under our manager.

I don't think there's any swap deal in the works. Seems like we're buying them outright. Maybe we'll throw them Carroll, Mason, Fryers or someone of that ilk on loan but I don't know.

I have to disagree with just about every assertion you've made there. ACLs heal fine with modern medicine, there are people who don't recover fully but it's a low percentage. I think you're overrating Rodriguez's pace. He's fast but he's hardly Aaron Lennon when it comes to reliance on it. He's large, strong, and a helluva finisher.

He does get into space and make runs behind, that's exactly what we need. He's probably going to be playing with Eriksen, Lamela, and one of Adebayor/Soldado/Kane. None of those players is what you would you would consider to be direct whatsoever. He offers something completely different than that group of creative passing players. We need a player like Rodriguez to make good runs for those guys to pick out. A player to stretch the defense.

What healthy options? Have we really been linked to anyone on the LW besides Griezmann which was just ludicrous. All the Kono links have dried up and supposedly his situation is complicated. Depay will probably wait for United. I think you're looking far too short term with this one. This year will be a transitional for us. Hopefully we'll have Pochettino's system in place and plugged most of the holes and next summer we can spend big on a dynamic striker with the necessary squad behind it. Rodriguez isnt an instant gratification purchase, but it could pay off massively in the long run. He's a 24 year old Englishman who was top ten in league scoring last season. Same amount of goals as Lukaku. More than Hazard and Remy. I could go on.

I'm driving to lunch right now bud, but that is a very hopeful stance on the ACL recoveries, and even incorrect as per Dr Andrews. When I get back, I'll have to dig up some recent literature for you. Modern medicine has hardly improved outcomes my friend.

Just look at Torres to see what an acl tear can do to a player. I'm not a fan of buying players with injuries (especially major ones), I'm not a fan of paying inflated prices for Englishmen, and I'm not a fan of buying players that have had only one standout season. Rodriguez checks all three boxes if his price is anywhere above 12 million pounds.

I can only assume that if we do buy Rodriguez the fee/contract will be dependant on how he/if he recovers. I'm sure it's a great deal if we are bothering at all with him.

I'll be quite happy with Schneiderlin if it pans out. Really the only thing that will help cushion the blow of the Beast leaving.

:dawsonmean:

I'm driving to lunch right now bud, but that is a very hopeful stance on the ACL recoveries, and even incorrect as per Dr Andrews. When I get back, I'll have to dig up some recent literature for you. Modern medicine has hardly improved outcomes my friend.

I have a hard time believing that at all. There's a laundry list of guys who've torn their ACLs and recovered just fine. I tore mine and it was all good in a year. Sure, everyone has a unique rehabilitation period but ACLs are hardly a catastrophic injury anymore.

Jay, for me, is vastly overrated and is not very technically gifted at all. I don't see him as an upgrade at all - we may as well have kept Siggy if we wanted an average player who can score goals.

Schneiderlin I rate really highly, but I'm a bit disappointed that we are chasing him when we already have so many CMs that you would think are capable. Capoue could play the Schneiderlin role in my opinion, and could be a lot more imposing in that position due to his physical attributes.

I'd much rather we went after a crafty left winger who fits the bill along with our other technical players, as well as a solid (possibly starting) CB.

So what would people consider the proper fee for the pair of them? I think £30m would be brilliant and still would feel okay at £35m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom