Tommy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know what AVB was thinking. Bale leaves, and he gives the key to our attack to someone who has not scored or created worth a damn during his entire pro career at any level.

I don't like bashing Townsend because I don't see it as his fault. But he got a fat contract out of it during the hype in Oct so good for him.

He "gave him the key" because we had no other creative attacking options at the time unfortunately. Our No 10 was Siggy for a sizable amount of that time, and in that time our No 10 had zero assists and zero throughballs.

He "gave him the key" because we had no other creative attacking options at the time unfortunately. Our No 10 was Siggy for a sizable amount of that time, and in that time our No 10 had zero assists and zero throughballs.
:eriksenlip::holtbytongue:?

Were either Rose or Townsend worse players upon returning from their respective loans?
I would argue that despite their contributions this season the loans they went on put them in a better position to make those contributions I the first place

Agreed. Forgoing loans entirely would severely limit incomes and player development in the very near future after doing so. Our loan situation is no worse than any other big club with players going throughout the tiers of English football, and off to the first tier of Spain.

:eriksenlip::holtbytongue:?

Exactly, they weren't played there in the majority of the time mentioned. Holtby almost never played with Townsend during that time since Townsend was in the league team and Holtby was seeing his minutes in the Europa, and Eriksen was still trying to find his feet.

You have to admit I have a point that the players you mentioned were in a slower less physical league.
Ok. Scholes, Cabaye, Modric, Fabregas, Allen, Henderson etc etc - all PREMIER LEAGUE midfielders that aren't "genetic freaks" but have some exceptional passing stats.

Dos Santos did amazing on one stint on loan and what did we do? Sold him for peanuts and this season he could be seen upstaging Bale and Modric in the league.
KPB was loaned out and we lost him before he became a star. Same with Dos Santos.
You JUST said to me mentioning Carroll in the same sentence as Xavi and co is the "lamelaphant in the room" - then you suggest Giovani Dos Santos upstaged Bale and Modric when he scored 12 goals in all competitions last season "in a slower league" as you also said, which also renders saying he is a "star" that we should have kept nonsense as well.

Again, completely contradicting yourself post after post.

So? He should have been part of our creativity.

And he's certainly not built for the wing in the prem IMO.
Again, if you look at the line ups for the early games you'll see AVB was trying to bring him into the first team slowly as a winger. As he is a winger. He was stunted by injury.

I agree. But it's my opinion our stature is not bigger in the first place due to the Tottenham Way. Chicken and egg. There has been way too many Hudd's, Carrolls, Andertons etc that we celebrate but at the end of the day our goal difference has almost always been a problem.
How you come to suggest that because we were good in the 60's is why we hold onto INTERNATIONAL footballers like Darren Anderton and that's why our goal difference is not good enough is absolutely puzzling!! :avbcringe:

Ok. Scholes, Cabaye, Modric, Fabregas, Allen, Henderson etc etc - all PREMIER LEAGUE midfielders that aren't "genetic freaks" but have some exceptional passing stats.

I wonder if Fabracunt or Scholes etc scored almost as many league goals in one season than Modric did in his entire pro career?

That would be a fun fact.

Anyway, I don't think this board needs another Modric conversation. I was gutted Real got that equalizer from the ratty cunt.

It would have been perfect for the most expensive team in the world to get done by hard work and solid pro's on the biggest stage like they did in the league.

Cup 1:

Cup 2:

So Bale won the Copa Del Rey and Champions League on his own? Sure, he scored the winning goals, but did you watch those finals? Fuck me, he was a ghost in the CL final, and just popped up with a header after missing several chances throughout the game. Playing for RM, you are bound to get 2 or 3 excellent scoring opportunities each game. Personally I felt he was wasteful and had an awful game, result aside.

You are once again looking at this in a very simplistic view - he scored 2 winning goals therefore he is the best player in the world. No. Smicer scored the winning penalty against AC Milan. Juliano Belletti scored the winner in a final.

Your method of thinking reminds me of this:

Hyde-FC.png

I wonder if Fabracunt or Scholes etc scored almost as many league goals in one season than Modric did in his entire pro career?

That would be a fun fact.
56 goals in his career so far. Don't recall either Fabregas or Scholes scoring near that amount in one season.

So Bale won the Copa Del Rey and Champions League on his own? Sure, he scored the winning goals, but did you watch those finals? Fuck me, he was a ghost in the CL final, and just popped up with a header after missing several chances throughout the game. Playing for RM, you are bound to get 2 or 3 excellent scoring opportunities each game. Personally I felt he was wasteful and had an awful game, result aside.

You are once again looking at this in a very simplistic view - he scored 2 winning goals therefore he is the best player in the world. No. Smicer scored the winning penalty against AC Milan. Juliano Belletti scored the winner in a final.

Your method of thinking reminds me of this:

Hyde-FC.png

You can say Bale out for the last 2 league games cost them the league. With him (and I think Ronaldo was out for the last 2 games too) out, ratty Modders could only get them 1 point out of 6.

The way results went, if they had won those games, they could have won the title too. No Bale, no title.

Anyway...I'm going to drop the Bale and Modric thing. This is a Carroll thread. It's ridiculous you brought up the player you did to prove a point.

You can say Bale out for the last 2 league games cost them the league. With him (and I think Ronaldo was out for the last 2 games too) out, ratty Modders could only get them 1 point out of 6.

The way results went, if they had won those games, they could have won the title too. No Bale, no title.

Anyway...I'm going to drop the Bale and Modric thing. This is a Carroll thread. It's ridiculous you brought up the player you did to prove a point.
Real Madrid won their last game, against Espanyol. Modric didn't play. Bale and Ronaldo did. Bale scored.

Utter bollocks coming out your mouth.

No Gibbs, what's ridiculous is the way you make a completely bizarre comment, and then completely ignore counter-arguments by digressing to completely different topics in your response. And then accuse me of bringing up players off-topic when you have been talking about Dos Santos upstaging Cristiano Ronaldo!!!

Happy to leave it there.

I just think it's amusing he continues to evaluate the worth of deep-lying playmakers on how many goals they've scored. Please Gibbs, for your own sake, try to make an effort to understand the position and its role.

Back
Top Bottom