American Ted Lasso takes over at Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

qFH5Fyz.jpg

Something very, very fitting about Staten Island—the Jersey Shoreist part of the city—going for Newcastle.

I have a friend that lives in the East Village - lavly girl.
She's now the manager of a big sports bar round the corner from Madison Square Garden. Hopefully showing plenty of Lasso's games :cool:

NBC produced little films about each club in the PL. ours starts out well, but ends on a meh note. I don't think either comparison--the Mets or Knicks--is particularly apt, since we're rather obviously a team on the up and up. I was going to say we are a bit like the Rays, who are well-run and in the mix, but they have no history. Maybe we are like the 2003 Red Sox. Well run with great history, but missing the final pieces to become something legendary in the here and now. Anyway:
Http://nbcsports.com/soccer/premiere-league/team-guide-tottenham

I meant to comment on this a while back when the numbers were first coming in from that poll but forgot.

There is no way in hell we are even the third most supported team in America. We just happen to have a lot of extremely passionate supporters here from all over the country/world. Most people who follow the more successful teams are very lazy about it (thats not to say there aren't some absolute die-hards among them too) in a way that its probably easy to be if all your team does is win trophy after trophy or if they used to.

I'd say the polls are probably being voter-bombed. Thats not to shit on our support here which is obviously exploding in popularity. The fact that our (unofficial) supporters group here in St. Louis is a third the size of one in Atlanta or other non-traditional soccer cities is fucking incredible. There's an Arkansas Spurs for fucks sake!

I meant to comment on this a while back when the numbers were first coming in from that poll but forgot.

There is no way in hell we are even the third most supported team in America. We just happen to have a lot of extremely passionate supporters here from all over the country/world. Most people who follow the more successful teams are very lazy about it (thats not to say there aren't some absolute die-hards among them too) in a way that its probably easy to be if all your team does is win trophy after trophy or if they used to.

I'd say the polls are probably being voter-bombed. Thats not to shit on our support here which is obviously exploding in popularity. The fact that our (unofficial) supporters group here in St. Louis is a third the size of one in Atlanta or other non-traditional soccer cities is fucking incredible. There's an Arkansas Spurs for fucks sake!

Nail on the head there. Most of the fans for the traditional "Big Four" came up playing the game and when thinking of a team they wanted to support it sounded something like, "uh.... fuck it - Man U. They're good, right?" Tottenham is exploding in the US because they provide a good alternative to the big four in that they're not a money-bags club and yet are still competitive. More substance to the choice, and hence more passion.

Should be noted this is merely one observer's perception of general trends, not on anything that resembles an individual basis.

Haha, I love that midtown is Man City. Perfect. I kinda wish Spurs had gotten Brooklyn.

Brooklyn, despite what the map says, is thoroughly St. Pauli / Dortmund. This much is obvious.

East village is also hip as shit, but a bit more expensive, i.e. London.

In real life, Tottenham would be Harlem in the 1990s.

NBC produced little films about each club in the PL. ours starts out well, but ends on a meh note. I don't think either comparison--the Mets or Knicks--is particularly apt, since we're rather obviously a team on the up and up. I was going to say we are a bit like the Rays, who are well-run and in the mix, but they have no history. Maybe we are like the 2003 Red Sox. Well run with great history, but missing the final pieces to become something legendary in the here and now. Anyway:

Wouldn't say the Mets are a good comparasion, but I can se it. They are very well run right now. They have many high prospects and two very, very highly rated pitchers. They are clearly on the up and up and could break out and really start flying, but there is still question with all these young guys, as I can see the same for us. I don't like the knicks reference. Big fan of the team, but imo they are not a good one. They bought their success and are not well run at all. I kinda like the 2003 red sox reference. The selling babe Ruth to a rival is sooo spursy. And then the curse I can see happening.

We're a bit like the Clemson University American football team. They are a program with some history mostly in the 60s and 80s just like us. Also went through a dark period in 90s. The last few years they have come back in a big way and are one of the best in college football. They have a very young coach who often finds himself under scrutiny similar to AVB.

However, the reason why they are most like us is largely due their tragic and unfortunate collapses. So common are these occurrences that they have even spawned the term "Clemsoning" which is similar to Spursy and is defined as, "The act of delivering an inexplicably disappointing performance, usually within the context of a college football season." Clemsoning only refers to losses against bad teams which seem to derail Clemson's season every year. Basically the equivalent to our loss and draw to Wigan last year and the loss to Fulham.

Clemson fans deal with the continual fear of collapse at the most inexplicable times and are constantly ridiculed by the public. Still when they aren't Clemsoning they play some of the best football in the country. Proper Spursy.

I kinda like the 2003 red sox reference. The selling babe Ruth to a rival is sooo spursy. And then the curse I can see happening.
Well, fuck the curse, which was just a way for Shaughnessey to sell books.

In 2003, the Sox were well run, had a young and unproven GM, featured a long history that yielded honours (AL championship) once every decade or so, and were engaged in a decade-long project of chipping away at the success of their nearest (and most hated) rivals. They also had a reputation for Spursy collapses. I like it.

Well, fuck the curse, which was just a way for Shaughnessey to sell books.

In 2003, the Sox were well run, had a young and unproven GM, featured a long history that yielded honours (AL championship) once every decade or so, and were engaged in a decade-long project of chipping away at the success of their nearest (and most hated) rivals. They also had a reputation for Spursy collapses. I like it.

I'm all good with this comparison because it means that we're about to be the 2004 Red Sox and win the league.

Went to NYC a couple of weeks ago, was surreal sitting in the back of the cab from JFK to Manhattan and seeing that Lasso advert playing on the tv in the back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom