American Ted Lasso takes over at Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs marketing this offseason has been vast and impressive. Club deserves a lot of credit.

Barely even a mention of the Woolwich scum in this one. Tons of highlights for us that aren't even Bale. Defoe, Lennon, AVB, Ade, and Dempsey all featured. Plus the closing shots are a bunch of Spurs shots in a row. Pretty cool.

Friend snapped this in NYC:
zeDr5W1.jpg

From NBC's ad campaign, it would appear to the unknowing fan that Spurs would be the flagship of the Prem, that or just trying to say if you're gonna pick one, Spurs are a great choice. We're involved in all of their marketing ploys. Fuckin love it.

Last edited:
Barely even a mention of the Woolwich scum in this one. Tons of highlights for us that aren't even Bale. Defoe, Lennon, AVB, Ade, and Dempsey all featured. Plus the closing shots are a bunch of Spurs shots in a row. Pretty cool.

That's just the American version of this isn't it.

When entering the premier league section of the nbcsports website you're given the option to pick the team you support. We have currently collected 23% of all votes! Followed by woolwhich with 12%, man united with 10%, Liverpool 9%, and Chelsea with 8%. Seems like all the marketing spurs have pushed to get through NBC in the US is paying off!

Something that has generated much applause and comment was Sudeikis’s comic turn as incompetent sports coach Ted Lasso in promotional videos for NBC Sports’ coverage of Premier League football in the USA. The two spoof videos, in which Lasso, with a background in American football, was appointed manager of Tottenham Hotspur, and wondered why there were ties and no play-offs in the English league, averaged 6.5 million hits on YouTube. Footage was shot at White Hart Lane with members of the Spurs squad.

Sudeikis dreams of Ted Lasso getting his own series. “If I could snap my fingers, it would be a TV show like a six-episode series in England,” he says. “Spend a little time with this guy because clearly there’s an audience for it and people have been generous with their praise. It would be fun to play him for longer than four minutes.”

.... I'd watch it! Sudeikis is hilarious. Plus, I'm up for anything with more 'Tatnum'!
And I'm sure Levy will squeeze some $$$ out of it.

:levywhoa:

Last edited:
I personally don't consider Virginia or North Carolina the "south" and Atlanta also doesn't encompass a lot of southern aspects either. I suppose I could be stereotyping places like SC, non ATL Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas but it is of my experience that people from those states are most likely to perpetuate the notion that football isn't manly or American enough.

It also is telling that one off the most successful conferences in the country (SEC) doesn't offer men's football and happens to be located in the south.

Have to really disagree with your statements about the South. There are very stereotypical and show that you have spent little time in the Southeast.

I live in South Carolina and Chair the Spurs Supporters Club here. We have over 90 members!

I am a fan of the University of South Carolina whose mascot is a Gamecock (i.e. a Fighting Cock). We have a men's soccer program and one of our graduates is Aston Villa GK Brad Guzan. The reason only South Carolina and Kentucky have men's soccer in the SEC has everything to do with Title IX of the US Code, very little to do with the popularity of soccer in the states located within the SEC.

While you tout soccer in VA, NC and GA, college soccer is huge in SC. In addition to the Gamecock program, Clint Dempsey played at Furman and our arch rival Clemson has produced several EPL players including Stuart Holden of Bolton and former Spur Paul Staltieri.

Soccer is becoming huge everywhere in the US from sea to shining sea!

Gotta start somewhere, mate.
This is why I refuse to invest any time/energy caring about or judging anyone else's support. If they're drawn in by a commercial and make no effort to understand the club, its history and ethos, then they'll quickly f*ck off to a "winner" like United or Citeh, and good riddance. If they're drawn in by a commercial and - over time - come to understand and love the club, then great, welcome. But either way they affect me not.

Back
Top Bottom