American Ted Lasso takes over at Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Friend snapped this in NYC:
zeDr5W1.jpg

I assume that Woolwich coach has retractable floors to drop passengers onto the tracks at high speed, right?

I may be in the wrong here, but from my point of view it's really strange to choose your team as an adult.

Strange, perhaps, but most of us had no choice. I am perhaps a rare example of someone who chose Spurs somewhat arbitrarily (based on elaborate criteria of my own devising) just because I wanted to follow the PL. Somewhat to my own surprise (and certainly my wife's) Spurs got under my skin in a huge way and now I live and die with Spurs even moreso than the American teams with which I have a more logical or traditional connection.

On the plus side, I have two kids and both of them learned to pronounce "Tottenham" properly as soon as they learned to pronounce anything. American Spurs Nation is young, but growing. This NBC stuff isn't just for adults.

Strange, perhaps, but most of us had no choice. I am perhaps a rare example of someone who chose Spurs somewhat arbitrarily (based on elaborate criteria of my own devising) just because I wanted to follow the PL. Somewhat to my own surprise (and certainly my wife's) Spurs got under my skin in a huge way and now I live and die with Spurs even moreso than the American teams with which I have a more logical or traditional connection.

On the plus side, I have two kids and both of them learned to pronounce "Tottenham" properly as soon as they learned to pronounce anything. American Spurs Nation is young, but growing. This NBC stuff isn't just for adults.

This. The Premier League has just recently had the exposure over here to support being able to follow it. Obviously, "soccer" is not a top-tier sport here (even MLS coverage is terrible). While we may not have been raised to follow a team in the BPL, I definitely was for NFL, NBA, MLB, and so on.

I played "soccer" in until I was about 13, so while I've always had an interest in the sport, media coverage hadn't provided the ability to follow a club. The only coverage we've had until recently was just international football - essentially JUST the World Cup. My story is much like Yitt's. I researched a lot of the BPL teams and Spurs was the one I decided on. Never did I expect to become this involved in such a short period. Honestly, I don't think I would have if I picked another club. Spurs just ring a chord with me, I guess. I fucking love it.

Something that has generated much applause and comment was Sudeikis’s comic turn as incompetent sports coach Ted Lasso in promotional videos for NBC Sports’ coverage of Premier League football in the USA. The two spoof videos, in which Lasso, with a background in American football, was appointed manager of Tottenham Hotspur, and wondered why there were ties and no play-offs in the English league, averaged 6.5 million hits on YouTube. Footage was shot at White Hart Lane with members of the Spurs squad.

Sudeikis dreams of Ted Lasso getting his own series. “If I could snap my fingers, it would be a TV show like a six-episode series in England,” he says. “Spend a little time with this guy because clearly there’s an audience for it and people have been generous with their praise. It would be fun to play him for longer than four minutes.”

.... I'd watch it! This fella is hilarious. Plus, I'm up for anything with more 'The Spurs'!
And I'm sure Levy will squeeze some $$$ out of it.

:levywhoa:

Yes, yes, yes and fucking yes again.

:freundgoal:

Okay, so how do we get NBC in England? Looks like the US are getting a much better deal.
Hopefully streams will be more readily available now.
I think illegal streams will be more readily available, but I looked into this a bit yesterday:

Every match will be streamed online via NBC's Live Sports Extra channel. This is a bit like the streaming on Fox Soccer. It's geographically restricted to the US and only to valid customers of certain cable companies. Luckily, my university is a subscriber, so I can VPN in, but I'm not going to crow too much…

There's also an iPhone app. I was able to download it last night, but obviously there's no content on it I'm interested in seeing. I imagine the similar limitations as above hold.

I still wish the PL had a deal like baseball does, where you subscribe to the league, not to the channel that has exclusive rights… I could choose to watch al-Jazeera's, Sky's, Setanta's, Canal +'s, whoever's coverage of any PL match as I wanted, instead of being limited to the rules/fees of just one of those, but what can you do.

These youtubes were brilliant.

I lost my shit at the Hollywood movie trailer voiceover. Especially how he pronounces Steven Gerard.

The guy who did the voiceover is named Jim Cutler, and he does all the voiceovers for NBC coverage of the NFL. His voice (maybe not name) is pretty instantly recognizable as "football" to most Americans.

For him to be doing the Premier League stuff in that video is a wink and a nod to the term "football".

Really, the only place that is an exception about growing knowledge of football is the south who are just totally and completely obsessed with college American football.

Actually, I'd say that's probably completely and totally incorrect. The southeast is a hotbed of American talent (particularly in North Carolina, Virginia and Georgia) and has some of the best junior clubs and university teams in the entire country - hell, the University of North Carolina women's team alone is probably the greatest women's football club in the history of the world, and Duke, UNC, Virginia, Furman and Wake Forest on the men's side are perennial powerhouses built on their local talent. Much of what makes college football attractive in the south (the regional pride, the tribalism, etc) also makes soccer attractive. There's a huge cross-polination between the fan groups.

The fact that there is a not an MLS club in the southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh for example) has much more to do with MLS regional politics and the fact that professional sports have never truly flourished in the southeast more than anything else. The Carolina Railhawks have a 10,000 seat stadium in the Raleigh area, and the Atlanta Silverbacks have an entire complex to themselves as well - and those teams play in the second division. Make one of them an MLS team and they'd be packing in huge crowds.

The illusion that football / soccer isn't widely popular in the most sports crazy portion of the United States is just false.

Virginia (south of Richmond) and North Carolina are very much "the South" and Atlanta is the de facto capital of the south.
Rule #1 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: The Mason-Dixon Line is a load of shit.

Rule #2 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: Everyone's boundary for The South ceases no more than 30 miles north of where they were born. Everyone below that line is a Southerner, and everyone above that line is a fucking Yankee.

Rule #3 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: Florida is invariably placed above that line.

Back
Top Bottom