American Ted Lasso takes over at Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I lost my shit at the Hollywood movie trailer voiceover. Especially how he pronounces Steven Gerard.

The guy who did the voiceover is named Jim Cutler, and he does all the voiceovers for NBC coverage of the NFL. His voice (maybe not name) is pretty instantly recognizable as "football" to most Americans.

For him to be doing the Premier League stuff in that video is a wink and a nod to the term "football".

Thanks for this JDK - sent a shiver down my spine - boy the Americans know how to sell a sport - and so much Spurs!!!!

It's gutting if we lose Bale and Dempsey just when we need them most in the States - here's hoping we don't miss a vital trick just as we missed out on the Prem revolution

PS Usually I dislike those Hollywood type voice-overs, as I'm no fan of Hollywood, but when they do it for my beloved Spurs and football, I'm all jelly

I was talking to my Dad about how we needed to keep Bale in order to get people interested in Spurs etc and he basically talked me out of that notion. Americans and anyone else for that matter want to root for a winning team. Ultimately, if Spurs become a consistent top 4 finisher and contender it won't matter who we have playing for us.

Around 2003 (when I started supporting Spurs, loved Ledley) was the first time that the EPL really became available in the states and thus the top three fan bases you see in America are United, Woolwich, and Chelsea. Now NBC will provide football with its widest potential American viewership. If we can win and play good football the fans will take care of themselves especially as we will be seen as an alternative to the more common teams.

Nowadays, the average American sports fan knows and watches football. FIFA the video has had a huge role in people getting interested and coupled with growing access to the USMNT, European leagues, and other international football I'd say the idea that Americans don't know or don't care about football is antiquated. Plus, unlike our parent's generation everyone grows up playing it now at least at the young levels (it has a horrible retention rate for older ages but still).

Really, the only place that is an exception about growing knowledge of football is the south who are just totally and completely obsessed with college American football.

Overall, the American interest in football has grown massively in the last five years as far as I can tell and hopefully NBC (a smart and mainstream sports network) can give the EPL the platform it needs to continue to flourish.

Really, the only place that is an exception about growing knowledge of football is the south who are just totally and completely obsessed with college American football.

Actually, I'd say that's probably completely and totally incorrect. The southeast is a hotbed of American talent (particularly in North Carolina, Virginia and Georgia) and has some of the best junior clubs and university teams in the entire country - hell, the University of North Carolina women's team alone is probably the greatest women's football club in the history of the world, and Duke, UNC, Virginia, Furman and Wake Forest on the men's side are perennial powerhouses built on their local talent. Much of what makes college football attractive in the south (the regional pride, the tribalism, etc) also makes soccer attractive. There's a huge cross-polination between the fan groups.

The fact that there is a not an MLS club in the southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh for example) has much more to do with MLS regional politics and the fact that professional sports have never truly flourished in the southeast more than anything else. The Carolina Railhawks have a 10,000 seat stadium in the Raleigh area, and the Atlanta Silverbacks have an entire complex to themselves as well - and those teams play in the second division. Make one of them an MLS team and they'd be packing in huge crowds.

The illusion that football / soccer isn't widely popular in the most sports crazy portion of the United States is just false.

Actually, I'd say that's probably completely and totally incorrect. The southeast is a hotbed of American talent (particularly in North Carolina, Virginia and Georgia) and has some of the best junior clubs and university teams in the entire country - hell, the University of North Carolina women's team alone is probably the greatest women's football club in the history of the world, and Duke, UNC, Virginia, Furman and Wake Forest on the men's side are perennial powerhouses built on their local talent. Much of what makes college football attractive in the south (the regional pride, the tribalism, etc) also makes soccer attractive. There's a huge cross-polination between the fan groups.

The fact that there is a not an MLS club in the southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh for example) has much more to do with MLS regional politics and the fact that professional sports have never truly flourished in the southeast more than anything else. The Carolina Railhawks have a 10,000 seat stadium in the Raleigh area, and the Atlanta Silverbacks have an entire complex to themselves as well - and those teams play in the second division. Make one of them an MLS team and they'd be packing in huge crowds.

The illusion that football / soccer isn't widely popular in the most sports crazy portion of the United States is just false.

I personally don't consider Virginia or North Carolina the "south" and Atlanta also doesn't encompass a lot of southern aspects either. I suppose I could be stereotyping places like SC, non ATL Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas but it is of my experience that people from those states are most likely to perpetuate the notion that football isn't manly or American enough.

It also is telling that one off the most successful conferences in the country (SEC) doesn't offer men's football and happens to be located in the south.

I was talking to my Dad about how we needed to keep Bale in order to get people interested in Spurs etc and he basically talked me out of that notion. Americans and anyone else for that matter want to root for a winning team. Ultimately, if Spurs become a consistent top 4 finisher and contender it won't matter who we have playing for us.

Around 2003 (when I started supporting Spurs, loved Ledley) was the first time that the EPL really became available in the states and thus the top three fan bases you see in America are United, Woolwich, and Chelsea. Now NBC will provide football with its widest potential American viewership. If we can win and play good football the fans will take care of themselves especially as we will be seen as an alternative to the more common teams.

Nowadays, the average American sports fan knows and watches football. FIFA the video has had a huge role in people getting interested and coupled with growing access to the USMNT, European leagues, and other international football I'd say the idea that Americans don't know or don't care about football is antiquated. Plus, unlike our parent's generation everyone grows up playing it now at least at the young levels (it has a horrible retention rate for older ages but still).

Overall, the American interest in football has grown massively in the last five years as far as I can tell and hopefully NBC (a smart and mainstream sports network) can give the EPL the platform it needs to continue to flourish.

Thanks for the post JDK, I won't get involved in which regions of the States love soccer the most, as I know nowt about it. I'm just delighted to see the USA taking to football, it's something I've wanted for many, many years now.

Many, many people over there and here said it wouldn't happen, looks like they're going to be proved wrong. I remember all the insults at football, it's 'not as big as tractor racing' etc. Well it is now, so a big thumbs down to all the 'soccer knockers', and indeed USA dissers who formed some/a lot of the 'antis' over here.

Regarding the successful team biz, of course I agree. But I still don't see us becoming a successful team, compared to the 'new Big 5'. So if we lose Bale and Dempsey on top of not winning trophies/making CL, then just as in the Prem revolution I see us losing out.

This may be the year we break through of course, but I doubt it without Bale, plus a couple of new defenders.

We have a defence that's in tatters ATM, and that's no way to challenge the big boys.

Thanks for the post JDK, I won't get involved in which regions of the States love soccer the most, as I know nowt about it. I'm just delighted to see the USA taking to football, it's something I've wanted for many, many years now.

Many, many people over there and here said it wouldn't happen, looks like they're going to be proved wrong. I remember all the insults at football, it's 'not as big as tractor racing' etc. Well it is now, so a big thumbs down to all the 'soccer knockers', and indeed USA dissers who formed some/a lot of the 'antis' over here..

It is getting big over here for sure but it obviously isn't bigger than the main American sports. Thus, it makes it easy for detractors (they are extremely vocal but not large in numbers) to say it is not popular. To say something isn't watched and followed though because it is behind other largely popular and more accessible things is just a logical fallacy and should be ignored.

I personally don't consider Virginia or North Carolina the "south" and Atlanta also doesn't encompass a lot of southern aspects either. I suppose I could be stereotyping places like SC, non ATL Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas but it is of my experience that people from those states are most likely to perpetuate the notion that football isn't manly or American enough.

It also is telling that one off the most successful conferences in the country (SEC) doesn't offer men's football and happens to be located in the south.

Alabamian here. The game will never rise to the level of popularity of college football or even baseball, but it is surging here much as it is across the rest of the country. One of the most well known craft breweries in the state, Good People (good stuff if you ever make it through Birmingham), is the official meeting place of the local American Outlaws, and as a result the place and its outdoor area are packed to the brim with folks for the national team games. The adult leagues now have waiting lists. It's exciting stuff to watch for someone who grew up playing the game in such a "throwball" crazed state.

Alabamian here. The game will never rise to the level of popularity of college football or even baseball, but it is surging here much as it is across the rest of the country. One of the most well known craft breweries in the state, Good People (good stuff if you ever make it through Birmingham), is the official meeting place of the local American Outlaws, and as a result the place and its outdoor area are packed to the brim with folks for the national team games. The adult leagues now have waiting lists. It's exciting stuff to watch for someone who grew up playing the game in such a "throwball" crazed state.

I couldn't be more glad to hear it. Great news.

I personally don't consider Virginia or North Carolina the "south" and Atlanta also doesn't encompass a lot of southern aspects either.

That's like saying you don't consider London, Manchester or Liverpool to be England and that Birmingham doesn't encompass a lot of English aspects either, but Wigan doesn't like football much and is truly English so you therefore think the English don't like the sport.

Virginia (south of Richmond) and North Carolina are very much "the South" and Atlanta is the de facto capital of the south. Those states encompass every truly major city in "the South" other than New Orleans. They are by far the most populous portions of "the South", the most affluent and the most influential. If you go to college in "the South" and stay for work, you very likely will end up in one of Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond or Atlanta.

If you mean rural Alabama doesn't care much about soccer, sure. That's true. But rural Alabama or Arkansas is a very small part of "the South".

Pretty sure the NBC streams online are free.

Also, the Southern fans do a shitty job of supporting their teams outside of College football. That's why there is no MLS team in a city like Atlanta or Miami and etc. A lot of talent does come from there though, especially Florida with the latin culture.

Virginia (south of Richmond) and North Carolina are very much "the South" and Atlanta is the de facto capital of the south.
Rule #1 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: The Mason-Dixon Line is a load of shit.

Rule #2 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: Everyone's boundary for The South ceases no more than 30 miles north of where they were born. Everyone below that line is a Southerner, and everyone above that line is a fucking Yankee.

Rule #3 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: Florida is invariably placed above that line.

Rule #1 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: The Mason-Dixon Line is a load of shit.

Rule #2 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: Everyone's boundary for The South ceases no more than 30 miles north of where they were born. Everyone below that line is a Southerner, and everyone above that line is a fucking Yankee.

Rule #3 For Determining What Is and Isn't The South: Florida is invariably placed above that line.

Eh, the sweet tea rule is far simpler. If you order tea without any other specification at a restaurant and by default it comes so gloriously sweet you can feel your teeth rotting, you're in "the South".

This line is approximately somewhere right around Richmond. North of that they ask you "sweet or unsweet" or even worse, they just give you cold unsweet and sugar packets. Like that fucking does anything for you.

Back
Top Bottom