American Ted Lasso takes over at Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When entering the premier league section of the nbcsports website you're given the option to pick the team you support. We have currently collected 23% of all votes! Followed by woolwhich with 12%, man united with 10%, Liverpool 9%, and Chelsea with 8%. Seems like all the marketing spurs have pushed to get through NBC in the US is paying off!
Spurs can haz all plastic fans?

When entering the premier league section of the nbcsports website you're given the option to pick the team you support. We have currently collected 23% of all votes! Followed by woolwhich with 12%, man united with 10%, Liverpool 9%, and Chelsea with 8%. Seems like all the marketing spurs have pushed to get through NBC in the US is paying off!

Haha that's fantastic! We are Premier League side of the future, without a doubt.

Gotta start somewhere, mate.
This is why I refuse to invest any time/energy caring about or judging anyone else's support. If they're drawn in by a commercial and make no effort to understand the club, its history and ethos, then they'll quickly f*ck off to a "winner" like United or Citeh, and good riddance. If they're drawn in by a commercial and - over time - come to understand and love the club, then great, welcome. But either way they affect me not.

In all seriousness, the quiet work over the past few years, the tours, Friedel, Dempsey, etc could now be about to pay off massively. Absolutely love it.

I went on the US tour a few years back and met up with the NYSpurs. Absolute brilliant group of dedicated Spurs fans who it was a pleasure to meet.

But I got to admit I find it difficult to understand how you can get involved with Spurs as an adult and get the same type of identity/affection with the club as others who have supported the club since they were born, or at least since they were 8 or 9 years, or younger. I may be in the wrong here, but from my point of view it's really strange to choose your team as an adult.

This is not a dig at Americans btw, but if we're all of a sudden the most supported team in America(which I doubt) it means that the majority of them started supporting Spurs last season.

If it's a master plan why would we let Dempsey go just as it's about to hit the big time?

Know what you mean. I guess the Marketing is still a side from having the best XI. Dempsey as crucial last year and got a lot of unfair jip (not looking for that debate btw!) but there is no denying that next season he is going to be surplus.

Seems from my NYC mates that "Dempsey back in the MLS" is doing more right now than anything to raise the profile of "soccer" as a whole which obviously feeds into increased awareness and interest in the Premier League. Americans know their own MLS is shit, they look towards the Premier League as the Global League.

I may be in the wrong here, but from my point of view it's really strange to choose your team as an adult.

It's a matter of exposure. Back in Asia where I used to live virtually all matches are United, unless other big six matches are in town. For some reason I identified with Spurs when I was 10 and had no friends watching the game with me, but I'm the odd one out. Everyone is either United Woolwich Kops or Chel.

Furthermore, if you move to the US then you start watching sports you never watched before like american football / baseball / hockey. Then you'll have to pick a team as an adult as well and develop affection for it. Maybe it'll depend on where you live, but when you did then it's your team.

Every Match, Every Team, Every Week – Starting Saturday, August 17th
Now that you’ve declared your allegiance, tune in every weekend to watch your team compete for the League Cup.
Follow all the action and never miss a match on NBC, NBC Sports, and stream the games online, on mobile or tablets with NBC Sports Live Extra.

Just signed up to boast the stats. Got an email. Either they've also got the rights for our secondary domestic cup or their terminology needs a bit of work :avbnaa:

I may be in the wrong here, but from my point of view it's really strange to choose your team as an adult.

Strange, perhaps, but most of us had no choice. I am perhaps a rare example of someone who chose Spurs somewhat arbitrarily (based on elaborate criteria of my own devising) just because I wanted to follow the PL. Somewhat to my own surprise (and certainly my wife's) Spurs got under my skin in a huge way and now I live and die with Spurs even moreso than the American teams with which I have a more logical or traditional connection.

On the plus side, I have two kids and both of them learned to pronounce "Tottenham" properly as soon as they learned to pronounce anything. American Spurs Nation is young, but growing. This NBC stuff isn't just for adults.

If it's a master plan why would we let Dempsey go just as it's about to hit the big time?

because he was about to be nothing more than a bench warmer and the yanks wouldn't of liked that

so in a cunning move of smartness we are the ones who got him back in their league at a time when he'll still completely dominate it, expect to see loads of deflected goals and 6 yard box tap ins in Seattle this season....

Strange, perhaps, but most of us had no choice. I am perhaps a rare example of someone who chose Spurs somewhat arbitrarily (based on elaborate criteria of my own devising) just because I wanted to follow the PL. Somewhat to my own surprise (and certainly my wife's) Spurs got under my skin in a huge way and now I live and die with Spurs even moreso than the American teams with which I have a more logical or traditional connection.

On the plus side, I have two kids and both of them learned to pronounce "Tottenham" properly as soon as they learned to pronounce anything. American Spurs Nation is young, but growing. This NBC stuff isn't just for adults.

This. The Premier League has just recently had the exposure over here to support being able to follow it. Obviously, "soccer" is not a top-tier sport here (even MLS coverage is terrible). While we may not have been raised to follow a team in the BPL, I definitely was for NFL, NBA, MLB, and so on.

I played "soccer" in until I was about 13, so while I've always had an interest in the sport, media coverage hadn't provided the ability to follow a club. The only coverage we've had until recently was just international football - essentially JUST the World Cup. My story is much like Yitt's. I researched a lot of the BPL teams and Spurs was the one I decided on. Never did I expect to become this involved in such a short period. Honestly, I don't think I would have if I picked another club. Spurs just ring a chord with me, I guess. I fucking love it.

I personally don't consider Virginia or North Carolina the "south" and Atlanta also doesn't encompass a lot of southern aspects either. I suppose I could be stereotyping places like SC, non ATL Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas but it is of my experience that people from those states are most likely to perpetuate the notion that football isn't manly or American enough.

It also is telling that one off the most successful conferences in the country (SEC) doesn't offer men's football and happens to be located in the south.

Have to really disagree with your statements about the South. There are very stereotypical and show that you have spent little time in the Southeast.

I live in South Carolina and Chair the Spurs Supporters Club here. We have over 90 members!

I am a fan of the University of South Carolina whose mascot is a Gamecock (i.e. a Fighting Cock). We have a men's soccer program and one of our graduates is Aston Villa GK Brad Guzan. The reason only South Carolina and Kentucky have men's soccer in the SEC has everything to do with Title IX of the US Code, very little to do with the popularity of soccer in the states located within the SEC.

While you tout soccer in VA, NC and GA, college soccer is huge in SC. In addition to the Gamecock program, Clint Dempsey played at Furman and our arch rival Clemson has produced several EPL players including Stuart Holden of Bolton and former Spur Paul Staltieri.

Soccer is becoming huge everywhere in the US from sea to shining sea!

I went on the US tour a few years back and met up with the NYSpurs. Absolute brilliant group of dedicated Spurs fans who it was a pleasure to meet.

But I got to admit I find it difficult to understand how you can get involved with Spurs as an adult and get the same type of identity/affection with the club as others who have supported the club since they were born, or at least since they were 8 or 9 years, or younger. I may be in the wrong here, but from my point of view it's really strange to choose your team as an adult.

This is not a dig at Americans btw, but if we're all of a sudden the most supported team in America(which I doubt) it means that the majority of them started supporting Spurs last season.
I lived in the US for a long while, plus I travel back there twice a year. I still find it hard to fathom how someone in the States picks and follows a English football team.

But I guess, I also used it a bit odd how someone from the Nordics could do the same.

I guess it is down to the power of the media, travel and the ever expansion of football as a global sport.

I think the game and hopefully Spurs are better for it.

Back
Top Bottom