January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've not even been paid the full money for Modric (afaik) so not sure that's true.

If Daniel Levy isn't a moron then we would have amortized the costs of all our transfers for the accounts. I don't remember if any of the fees were ever confirmed so I can't be sure if the numbers add up, but the Modric fee will almost certainly have already been used to offset costs of the amortized fees we declared for the new signings.

This is good for FFP purposes as we will comfortably fall within the regulations, but very bad when you end up doing a Portsmouth and the administrator turns up and sees that all your paper assets are actually worthless as real assets.

Man City and Chelsea would be the only clubs who probably wouldn't have amortized fees as they know they can't get under the FFP threshold and would be trying to front load everything they spend to fall under the 'diminishing losses' stipulation of the regulation. It's their only chance of hearing a Uefa anthem in two years time.

We would also be in trouble a little over Modric's wages. He was on really low money because he didn't sign a new contract after the first season of discontent. But Lloris, Dempsey and Dembele will all be on more money than we were paying Luka. That's more than three times the bump in salary which would be offset by the fee amortization.

I hate typing the word amortization.

That isn't strictly true, we have spent £5m net in five years, so have money to spend aside from Modric's funds. However, that isn't really my point, the point was selling Bale wouldn't mean having £60m to spend as that isn't how it works.

The thing that I can't get my head around regardless of selling this player or buying that player is that it's clear that £24M was made available to get Mouts in, he,Porto or Levy buggered it up ( again it doesn't matter who)

The cash was sanctioned but not used. If it isn't used this window , then were is it?

9 days to go . :)

The thing that I can't get my head around regardless of selling this player or buying that player is that it's clear that £24M was made available to get Mouts in, he,Porto or Levy buggered it up ( again it doesn't matter who)

The cash was sanctioned but not used. If it isn't used this window , then were is it?

The conspiracy theory is that Levy never intended to buy Moutinho and fucked up the deal on purpose. He just wanted AVB to feel like we were trying. :gallas:

Pure speculation - I would suggest it more likely we didnt have cash in the bank for that at all, but secured financing/a credit agreement. And like a Mortgage it would expire at a given point...

Pure speculation - I would suggest it more likely we didnt have cash in the bank for that at all, but secured financing/a credit agreement. And like a Mortgage it would expire at a given point...

So why don't we secure a similar loan now?

AberdeenYid AberdeenYid does Wanyama play the same position as Sandro? I remember you rating him highly.
He certainly does. His role is to protect the back four, which he does admirably well in Europe, but in domestic games he tends to be more attacking as they don't need his protection so much. This shows in his goals as he's got half a dozen in about twenty games in the SPL. not bad for a defensive midfielder.

Sandro looks a lot more cultured and stays on his feet more, but nothing Wanyama couldn't learn. He is only a young guy after all. Celtic are putting out rumours that he would be available at £20m, which would be a fair price if he played as well for us or another big team in a competitive league, but I'd suggest we would get change out of £10m.

He certainly does. His role is to protect the back four, which he does admirably well in Europe, but in domestic games he tends to be more attacking as they don't need his protection so much. This shows in his goals as he's got half a dozen in about twenty games in the SPL. not bad for a defensive midfielder.

Sandro looks a lot more cultured and stays on his feet more, but nothing Wanyama couldn't learn. He is only a young guy after all. Celtic are putting out rumours that he would be available at £20m, which would be a fair price if he played as well for us or another big team in a competitive league, but I'd suggest we would get change out of £10m.

Fergie was watching him last night.

Duncan Castles, who seems to have a source close to AVB, if not AVB himself:

Contrary to reports, Andre Villas-Boas did not attend last night's Scottish Premier League fixture between Celtic and Dundee United. Neither is the Tottenham manager interested in strengthening his squad with Gary Hooper or Victor Wanyama in the transfer window.

A few days ago someone mentioned Benteke. He'd cost a lot and Villa wouldn't want to sell him, but his wages would most likely be low. He's top class and there aren't a lot of other options. I'm thinking a summer move, especially if Villa get relegated

:avbpray:

Back
Top Bottom