January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've seen a couple rumors on twitter about Man City launching a bid for Aaron Lennon, even caught offside has ran with it. I believe that its all bullshit but if it were true, we couldn't possibly sell Lennon after his amazing string of performances lately, right?
With the distinct possibility of Bale going in the summer, I think it highly unlikely. Not without bringing in a proper replacement.

I've seen a couple rumors on twitter about Man City launching a bid for Aaron Lennon, even caught offside has ran with it. I believe that its all bullshit but if it were true, we couldn't possibly sell Lennon after his amazing string of performances lately, right?

Selling him would be pretty awful & he has played really well this year. What if they offered silly money though, and it allowed us to get a worthy replacement? Like Willian...think I was reading on here he could play anywhere in mid-field.

If we get CL there's no way in hell he's leaving.
I think Levy probably already has an informal agreement with Madrid to sell Bale when Ronaldo leaves. I don't see how the two fit into the same team, and Levy will happily capture the majority of the CR7 sale cash. So I'd say Bale could go this summer if Ronaldo leaves, but since that is looking unlikely, then probably not.

I'm not saying a binding anything, VirginiaSpur. Madrid just makes the most sense as we saw this summer. They're not a direct competitor, rich as fuck, prone to irrational purchasing, and Bale seems interested in moving there. They have the best left-sided attacking player in the world, and if/when he leaves, he'll probably leave for a shit-ton of money to PSG or some other such money-minting monstrosity. I wager Levy would happily take just about all of Madrid's 50-60m transfer fee to allow Bale to fill the Ronaldo-shaped hole in their lineup.

If the landscape changes between now and then, Levy will no doubt adapt, as he always does. But as things stand now this makes the most sense to me in terms of our "end game" for Bale.

55 goals from 81 games is a good return.But then you'll say-Oh its the Scottish league!
Is it really that bad?

I don't know about Hooper, he might be a good player. But without watching him, I wouldn't conclude anything from his impressive goal return. Kris Boyd scored 128 in 192 appearances at Rangers, then didn't make it at either Middlesbrough or Forest, and last played for the Portland Timbers, where again, he didn't make it. Which isn't to say SPL players can't be good, just the goal tally will never translate and so isn't in any way indicative.

after this weekends performance im not to sure we are going to see any movement into the club this window. we clearly did just fine with what we had. we still have cover on the bench for everybody, dempsey is starting to score regularly, ugly or not they all count. and although we maybe dont have as much flair or magic in the midfield as past seasons we seem to have swopped it for less flair but more tenacity, as stats will prove. although we seem to have picked up some injuries in the past week or 2 we are also getting other players returning from injury, essentially keeping the squad strength in place.the attitudes and mindsets of the team currently ooze confidence and id wager we finish 3rd this term ahead of chelsea even without bringing in new players this window.

I admire your confidence, but I don'y think CL is enough to stopa player leaving, If it were then Woolwich would no doubt have not had the mass exodus of players we have seen over the past 5-6 years.
I'm starting to guess that Wanderers' players have had it with this bit of Wengerese:
empty-cabinet-arsene.png

Obviously they also leave for paydays, but, as I always say, if players only wanted the money, they'd all be at Anži Maxačkala. I reckon as long as we look like we're trying to win medals (not just CL qualification), a player like Bale will stick around, though I also like the Ronaldo theory.

If we got offered 60 million for Bale we would be stupid to turn it down. That sort of cash buys you Moutinho Willian and Negredo instantly improving the first team.
it's not an exact science, selling for 1 amount, and then buying players for the equivalent amount of money, we sold Berbatov and Modric for big money and that money hasn't exactly been reinvested.

Hooper had 2 today against Dundee.

Also in regard to the Cobra's latest ITK what a sad and small club West Ham is.

EXCLUSIVE: Diame threatens to report West Ham over dirty tactics to avoid release fee being activated

By Sami Mokbel
PUBLISHED: 22:55, 22 January 2013 | UPDATED: 02:22, 23 January 2013

Mohamed Diame is threatening to report West Ham to FIFA over fears the club are trying to renege on his £3.5million release clause.
The tough-tackling midfielder, who is interesting a number of Premier League sides, is free to leave Upton Park if a club matches the stipulated fee.
But Diame suspects West Ham are ignoring the agreement as they continue with their attempts to keep him at Upton Park.

article-2266721-166E8650000005DC-896_468x317.jpg

Threat: Mohamed Diame might go to war with West Ham if they do not allow him to leave

However, Sportsmail understands the midfielder is willing to take heavy action against his employers if they do not abide by the contractual agreement.
Woolwich, Newcastle and Tottenham have all shown a strong interest in the former Wigan man.
But the Hammers are trying to sign Diame to a new contract in an bid to get rid of the release clause.
So far the powerhouse midfielder is refusing to sign a new deal, knowing he is a target for a number of bigger clubs.
West Ham want any bid formalised and in writing before allowing Diame to speak to prospective employers.
However, the 25-year-old believes his current employers are using unfair tactics to spoil a potential move.
The alarm bells started ringing for Diame last month when the club announced he would miss three months with a hamstring injury picked up in the defeat to Liverpool on December 9.
However, just 24 hours later Diame revealed he hoped to be fit for early January, significantly less than three months.

article-2266721-17094073000005DC-838_468x293.jpg

Key man: Sam Allardyce's team has been helped by having Diame's power at its core
Had Diame missed three months, he would not have been such an attractive signing given he would not be available until March.
Woolwich are understood to have lodged their interest in Diame with West Ham officials.
And Gunners manager Arsene Wenger will ran the rule over the Senegal international in Wednesday's Premier League clash at the Emirates Stadium.
Speaking about Diame, Wenger said: 'He has a great presence in the games, I have seen him have a big impact.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2266721/Mohamed-Diame-threatens-report-West-Ham-FIFA-dont-stick-release-fee-deal.html#ixzz2Imwq2pFA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back
Top Bottom