January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because that basically covered all of our summer moves already?

That isn't strictly true, we have spent £5m net in five years, so have money to spend aside from Modric's funds. However, that isn't really my point, the point was selling Bale wouldn't mean having £60m to spend as that isn't how it works.

Selling 1 player and replacing him with 3 might sound like good business, but it's not just big fees, it's the cost of the contract. The transfer fee can be just the tip of the iceberg.

Personally I don't see us doing any panic buys, if we bid for someone now it must be the same logic that it's because we would bid for them any other time.

Looking back to last window, while I can see the value in Saha and Nelsen last window if we were paying fees or long contracts on either it would make no sense. So a very cheap deal on a striker to bolster the line up or a loan might be the answer, bearing in mind Adebayor will be back in a few weeks.

That isn't strictly true, we have spent £5m net in five years, so have money to spend aside from Modric's funds. However, that isn't really my point, the point was selling Bale wouldn't mean having £60m to spend as that isn't how it works.

Actually I think THAT isnt strictly true. Aside from Harrys first window we have quite clearly sold to buy, we havent made funds available. Considering the Training complex and Stadium costs I highly doubt there are funds available, and our recently publisised loss for the year (after very minor profit last year) would seem to suggest this is the case.

Selling Bale would be the ONLY way to fund significant player buys, like selling Modric funded Lloris/Dempsey/Dembele etc.

Levy has to date pretty much reinvested player sales into the squad IMO, I see no reason why he wouldnt with Bale.

If we got offered 60 million for Bale we would be stupid to turn it down. That sort of cash buys you Moutinho Willian and Negredo instantly improving the first team.

Moutinho, Willian and Negredo would all expect wages equal to Bale's current deal.

So it's £60m + £5m x 4 years = £80m

vs

£20m + £20m x 3 players = £120m

Moutinho, Willian and Negredo would all expect wages equal to Bale's current deal.

So it's £60m + £5m x 4 years = £80m

vs

£20m + £20m x 3 players = £120m

Here I do agree - I dont think its a simple £60m for Bale = £20m Negredo + £20m Moutinho + £20m Willian, as nice as that sounds.

However, the deals would not necessarily be so closely linked. For example, Sell Bale for £60m, let Bentley, Gomes, Livermore, Huddlestone leave for nominal fees - there is significant saving made in the wage bill.

So it could be possible, but I agree certainly not likely to be so simple.

We've not even been paid the full money for Modric (afaik) so not sure that's true.

I dont see why not, it is a commited amount to be recieved.

All transfers seem to be paid in part up front and then in installments.

If thats how Madrid dealt with us, then its likely how we deal with Fulham/Lyon etc.

Its all accounting tomfoolery isnt it? Essentially we got(or are getting) a big wedge of cash for Modric that covers what we spend (or will spend) on summer aqcuisitions

I'm sure we haven't finished paying for any of our summer transfers. Most deals payment is spread over a few years.
I don't want us to sell Bale by the way I'm just being practical. I know that 60 m in doesn't mean an automatic 60m outlay on new players but say selling Bale meant we brought Moutinho and Willian and then selling some deadwood wouldn't it improve the team?

I dont see why not, it is a commited amount to be recieved.

All transfers seem to be paid in part up front and then in installments.

If thats how Madrid dealt with us, then its likely how we deal with Fulham/Lyon etc.

Its all accounting tomfoolery isnt it? Essentially we got(or are getting) a big wedge of cash for Modric that covers what we spend (or will spend) on summer aqcuisitions
long story short, you know as much as I do with regards to what money was spent on what. :)

Back
Top Bottom