January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That is pure gold-dust from Poch... and exactly why he's not only the right man for us (thank Gawd) but setting the right example for Engleeeeeesh Football!

They all wanked on about Wenger changing the mentality and mind-set of the English players when he first arrived...
Now Poch is taking that mantle up by proving that whilst talent is great, and a necessary to progress... it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of what makes a truly great player!!

Good for him for setting the example. I honestly couldn't give a shit if other clubs choose to heed our example or not... i'm just glad Poch is implementing it at our club!

Well said, Leicester showed this last season, they played for each other, not quite the same story for them this season - money makes everyone crazy...

We have a squad we can be proud of, the way they respect and interract with each other and the community is a credit and something to be proud of. Sure we want a trophy but going about it this way is the only way when so many things in football are rotten.

My Seven year old daughter came back from school upset the other week after we beat Chelsea. She was teased by others talking shite they heard their cunty Dad's talking about. If we lose and i'm hacked off but this is something for me to deal with internally or on here, not to warp my childs mind...

Anyway, I have a way I live my life, so does my Dad and I can see trends in the way people act and the clubs they support, not everyone but a lot of people. If my daughter sticks with us she will see loyalty, teamwork and charitable work. That's all good thing in my book.

Problem is he might actually have the ambition of playing regularly.
Hopefully he doesn't & is happy just filling in when needed.
As you say, we wouldn't be able to get better cover.

It's a weird thing the 'ambition' debate...
Some might argue that having ambition is to get as high up the tree/ladder in your chosen career...
He's already a regular International, is definitely part and parcel of our first team Squad (and it is a squad game now)
...the 'ambition' of wanting to play regularly... where? If (and I assume he can) Davies can count to 20, then he'll know that there are only 20 possible LB positions at each of the clubs in the division... at a push, he could play CB at maybe 10 of those clubs... and of those clubs, only 3 or 4 would be seen as a step up from where he is now.

Yes, he could play regularly, if he went to Swansea, or Southampton, or wherever mid-table club could offer him guaranteed playing time. But at any of the Top 5 or 6 clubs (including our own) he'd be vying for a position with someone else anyway... just probably not someone as good as Danny Rose!!

The 'ambition' of playing every week is skewed... 'cos you either swap like-for-like, and find yourself part of someone else's squad... or you drop down to the middle/lower-level of the Division but play every week!

I think it cancels itself out, and he's better off where he is personally!!

A bizarre notion that just because a player wins the Golden boot that at times he might not warrant being taken off or rested in pursuit of a much needed goal.

Stats aren't everything
Or bringing on another striker to support him when we need a goal.

It's a weird thing the 'ambition' debate...
Some might argue that having ambition is to get as high up the tree/ladder in your chosen career...
He's already a regular International, is definitely part and parcel of our first team Squad (and it is a squad game now)
...the 'ambition' of wanting to play regularly... where? If (and I assume he can) Davies can count to 20, then he'll know that there are only 20 possible LB positions at each of the clubs in the division... at a push, he could play CB at maybe 10 of those clubs... and of those clubs, only 3 or 4 would be seen as a step up from where he is now.

Yes, he could play regularly, if he went to Swansea, or Southampton, or wherever mid-table club could offer him guaranteed playing time. But at any of the Top 5 or 6 clubs (including our own) he'd be vying for a position with someone else anyway... just probably not someone as good as Danny Rose!!

The 'ambition' of playing every week is skewed... 'cos you either swap like-for-like, and find yourself part of someone else's squad... or you drop down to the middle/lower-level of the Division but play every week!

I think it cancels itself out, and he's better off where he is personally!!
Yeah true. But I think at least pick up medals if you're going to be a bench warmer.
But I guess its each to their own.

Not quite sure this is fully considerate of the facts
What ever way you look at it.
Most would say 1 season isn't enough to judge.
But part of a managers job is to make short judgement calls.

If I said get rid of janssen based on this season.
I'd get tons of disagrees saying it's not enough time to judge.
But if poch gets rid of him in the summer, most will suddenly say it's the right call.
Njie is a good example of that.

Would anyone take Sturridge....wouldnt happen, as they know he would become a 25 a season man under Poch, but what do people think.

I would

I can't see him starting ahead of Kane and he's not going to come to warm the bench here instead of at Anfield. I see him going to Southampton or perhaps West Ham. Somewhere like that.

I like him and he's obviously a fantastic player but he's rarely fit, has no work-ethic (it's still weird to prefer Origi who's barely a footballer ahead of him despite the difference in running) and seems like a bigtime Charlie to me.

If I said get rid of janssen based on this season.
I'd get tons of disagrees saying it's not enough time to judge.
But if poch gets rid of him in the summer, most will suddenly say it's the right call.
**Shocking Report**

Mauricio Pochettino's player assessment is trusted by fans more than Scott from The Fighting Cock.

More on this as we get it...

Back
Top Bottom