January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He'd have had more rest (Cups, EL + subbed early if when games were in the bag) and maybe scored a few more decisive EPL goals throughout the season (esp. towards the end)...?

The Son/N'Jie/Chadli as 2nd ST plan blew up in our faces.
Not sure that it ever did. Kane's scoring didn't go down, and a back-up was never needed last year. This year, Son as a back-up striker actually worked pretty well. If you compare him to other AMs/second strikers/wide forwards, he's been really damn good this year. Across Europe's top 5 leagues there are maybe 4 non-strikers with a higher NPG/90 than him (0.6), and one of those is Dele Alli. Including strikers, he's the 34th top scorer in Europe. For a back-up striker who's normally a wide player, that's pretty damn impressive.

He'd have had more rest (Cups, EL + subbed early if when games were in the bag) and maybe scored a few more decisive EPL goals throughout the season (esp. towards the end)...?

The Son/N'Jie/Chadli as 2nd ST plan blew up in our faces.
But he was.
He played one full cup game and that was against Palace. Every single game he either didn't feature at all or was a sub/subbed.

Son isn't a striker. No matter what his NPG/90 (whatever that is) says.
He's played as one for us, and we did beat City 2-0 doing that. I'd agree he's not a conventional striker, but hell, this year Liverpool haven't played one in their best XI and that has worked out well for them too.

If we have a system that can use him as the striker, and it gets results, then the fact that he's not a striker in the Kane/Lewandowski/Aguero sense is fine, I think.

He's played as one for us, and we did beat City 2-0 doing that. I'd agree he's not a conventional striker, but hell, this year Liverpool haven't played one in their best XI and that has worked out well for them too.

If we have a system that can use him as the striker, and it gets results, then the fact that he's not a striker in the Kane/Lewandowski/Aguero sense is fine, I think.
His performance that day was stunning, he absolutely ripped into them. He's obviously got a decent engine because he kept going right till being subbed.

I'd be curious to see how he'd fare in that role with the 3-4-2-1, and Rose Walker pushed higher up. The pace of those 3 together high up the pitch, could blow a few defences away imo.

Thank goodness we're not signing Berahino

Seems like he was prepared to waste his career for two seasons, and let down his club all because they hd the nerve to want him to stay.
However, WBA have been massive fools here.....got the same out of the player as if they'd have sold him. Zero.

Now they get 10M less than we offered (if its 12M)

I think he will come good for Stoke, he sure has a lot to prove, but I do believe Poch was put off by his antics:

West Brom boss Tony Pulis has admitted that Berahino, 22, has struggled to cope with the collapse of his move to Spurs last summer. And although Pochettino did not mention Berahino by name, he made it clear he will not tolerate wayward behaviour.

“It’s our responsibility to sign not just the right players, but the right people,” the Tottenham head coach told Standard Sport. “Talent is at the same level as character and personality.
“We want to find good players but also good people. People who share our philosophy, behave well, show respect to the club and their team-mates and supporters; respect the badge. This is very important for success.

“It’s my philosophy. This is the way we want to create a big team here and have success in the future.”
“We have spent time to find the right people to give advice and information. It’s hard, it’s true, but we must do it. There are a lot of names on the market and it is easy simply to sign a player. But to get the right player, who has respect for the changing room, is our responsibility.”

And although Pochettino did not mention Berahino by name, he made it clear he will not tolerate wayward behaviour.

“It’s our responsibility to sign not just the right players, but the right people,” the Tottenham head coach told Standard Sport. “Talent is at the same level as character and personality.
“We want to find good players but also good people. People who share our philosophy, behave well, show respect to the club and their team-mates and supporters; respect the badge. This is very important for success.

“It’s my philosophy. This is the way we want to create a big team here and have success in the future.”
“We have spent time to find the right people to give advice and information. It’s hard, it’s true, but we must do it. There are a lot of names on the market and it is easy simply to sign a player. But to get the right player, who has respect for the changing room, is our responsibility.”

That is pure gold-dust from Poch... and exactly why he's not only the right man for us (thank Gawd) but setting the right example for Engleeeeeesh Football!

They all wanked on about Wenger changing the mentality and mind-set of the English players when he first arrived...
Now Poch is taking that mantle up by proving that whilst talent is great, and often necessary to progress... it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of what makes a truly great player!!

Good for him for setting the example. I honestly couldn't give a shit if other clubs choose to heed our example or not... i'm just glad Poch is implementing it at our club!

Last edited:
Davies is quality, there's nobody you could buy for 10m that would do a better job as backup. The fact that he can fill in at CB if required is an added bonus.
Problem is he might actually have the ambition of playing regularly.
Hopefully he doesn't & is happy just filling in when needed.
As you say, we wouldn't be able to get better cover.

I think Poch will flog him come summer time.
Yeah, managers have to make harsh calls & be short sighted as someone put it.
Njie is young & cost about 14m & poch gave up on him very quickly.
Doesn't mean he is short sighted & wants instant success.
It's just part of being a manager. Or else you would have way too many players if you gave them all a fair chance.

Back
Top Bottom