January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some more exit rumours...

WHATEVER IT TAKES FOR ALLI?

Real Madrid have identified Dele Alli as their No. 1 summer transfer target, with the Sunday Express claiming Tottenham will receive a £50m offer from the European champions.

Alli bagged his 12th goal of an already stellar second season at Spurs in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Manchester City, and his eye-catching displays have put clubs across Europe on alert.

The Express claim Real – who have lured Luca Modric and Gareth Bale away from White Hart Lane in recent years - are willing to do whatever it takes to bring Alli to Bernabeu, and are reportedly undeterred by the midfielder committing his long-term future to Spurs in September.

Some more exit rumours..
WHATEVER IT TAKES FOR ALLI?

Real Madrid have identified Dele Alli as their No. 1 summer transfer target, with the Sunday Express claiming Tottenham will receive a £50m offer from the European champions.

Alli bagged his 12th goal of an already stellar second season at Spurs in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Manchester City, and his eye-catching displays have put clubs across Europe on alert.

The Express claim Real – who have lured Luca Modric and Gareth Bale away from White Hart Lane in recent years - are willing to do whatever it takes to bring Alli to Bernabeu, and are reportedly undeterred by the midfielder committing his long-term future to Spurs in September.

...at least get his fucking name right!
He officially changed it this year, didn't he?

That, plus the "oh so 2015/16" £50m offer would suggest this 'non-story' has been dredged up from 12 months ago... and they haven't even bothered to update it!

Yep, Dele could indeed be our key player in pushing for the title. Last season, I thought we lacked winning experience, a senior player who had won the PL before and could give the players belief...
With Dele, though, he just doesn't seem to be fazed at all, and he is increasingly popping up to win the crucial games. He is still in some ways a kid and maybe that youthful confidence will see us through.

We failed to win the title because a number of players were knackered by the run-in and just didn't believe they could win it.
Hopefully different this year.
Who to buy? A lot of January transfers don't work out, and are overpriced. The transfer market looks batshit crazy inflated right now. New players can also disrupt the feel-good-vibes in the squad.
Maybe a centre back? But then the Cup runs might allow Dier and Wimmer to gain some practice in form and come in as cover for Toby or Jan in the 1st side.

I agree our players were knackered. We seem to have adjusted our style of play this year to be less demanding and to pace ourselves better. But we also lost last season because the team above us kept winning. When you are behind on points you need the other team to slip up and they didn't. We're in the same position this season where we need Chelsea to slip up, otherwise it doesn't matter if we can keep up our excellent form. Both seasons we have dropped a lot of points early on and taken a while to find our feet. We could really do with not getting so far behind in the first place.

I don't think we will buy anyone in January. Even if we did want to the difficulty is finding someone who improves our starting eleven. I agree with rusty that we could do with signing that experienced player who has won stuff already in a major league and is seen as a major player by oppositions, and who marshalls us a bit when needed. Very hard to get though.

I agree our players were knackered. We seem to have adjusted our style of play this year to be less demanding and to pace ourselves better. But we also lost last season because the team above us kept winning. When you are behind on points you need the other team to slip up and they didn't. We're in the same position this season where we need Chelsea to slip up, otherwise it doesn't matter if we can keep up our excellent form. Both seasons we have dropped a lot of points early on and taken a while to find our feet. We could really do with not getting so far behind in the first place.

I don't think we will buy anyone in January. Even if we did want to the difficulty is finding someone who improves our starting eleven. I agree with rusty that we could do with signing that experienced player who has won stuff already and who marshalls us a bit when needed. Very hard to get though.

Yep all agreed, but I don't think we could buy a senior player and expect him to fit into the side now without some disruption to the morale Poch has created. We might go for another centre back but not a senior one.
We were top of the table at one point last season - at home against the Scum for all of how many minutes - and if we had won that game, I think Leicester might have collapsed after being knocked off their perch. Lack of maturity and belief on our part. Europa League didn't help. Ce la vie.
I think we should just throw the 2nd team at the cup competitions now. I think Poch will do it.
Chelski's lead looks insurmountable but I have a feeling this Costa situation is going to get out of control. It could upset the dressing room in a similar way to the physio situation under Mourinho. Many of the players are the same and the fact they crumbled that season is suggestive it could happen again, especially with our merry band of warriors chasing them.

Last edited:
Yep all agreed, but I don't think we could buy a senior player and expect him to fit into the side now without some disruption to the morale Poch has created. We might go for another centre back but not a senior one.
We were top of the table at one point last season - at home against the Scum for all of how many minutes - and if we had won that game, I think Leicester might have collapsed after being knocked off their perch. Lack of maturity and belief on our part. Europa League didn't help. Ce la vie.
I think we should just throw the 2nd team at the cup competitions now. I think Poch will do it.
Chelski's lead looks insurmountable but I have a feeling this Costa situation is going to get out of control. It could upset the dressing room in a similar way to the physio situation under Mourinho. Many of the players are the same and the fact they crumbled that season is suggestive it could happen again, especially with our merry band of warriors chasing the fuckers back up the kings road.

At the end of the day, assuming Chelsea win today we are 9 points behind and have a similar GD (their's slightly higher). There may be 16 games left but it is unlikely that we will catch Chelsea. It could change rapidly with the games they have coming up against Liverpool and Woolwich, and is so and the gap closes over the next few games then I'd perhaps agree with playing a 2nd team in the cups but not if they get through that and the gap is the same, as we won't be catching them. In those circumstances we should take the cups seriously.

The Costa situation is over. China would have signed him had they not abandoned hte idea when the new rules came in about overseas players. Shame really but it is what it is.

At the end of the day, assuming Chelsea win today we are 9 points behind and have a similar GD (their's slightly higher). There may be 16 games left but it is unlikely that we will catch Chelsea. It could change rapidly with the games they have coming up against Liverpool and Woolwich, and is so and the gap closes over the next few games then I'd perhaps agree with playing a 2nd team in the cups but not if they get through that and the gap is the same, as we won't be catching them. In those circumstances we should take the cups seriously.

The Costa situation is over. China would have signed him had they not abandoned hte idea when the new rules came in about overseas players. Shame really but it is what it is.

I'm not so sure. There are still enough games to catch them, especially if they start to falter. Yep they beat Leicester but everyone is beating Leicester this season. Hull might not be a challenge but they have 4 games they might lose, that's 12 points potentially. Let's see what happens today. Fingers crossed the ex-Spurs players for Hull turn up today.

'DAVIES BID REJECTED'

Tottenham have rejected an £8m offer from Crystal Palace for full-back Ben Davies, according to the Sunday Mirror.

The 23-year-old could come back into the reckoning at Spurs with Jan Verthonghen out injured.

I should hope so took. Fuck, that's cheeky even by West Ham's standards!

They also spelt Vertonghen wrong.

Let's be clear.

No way at this stage of his career and with Costa being one if the top 5 strikers in Europe if not the world was he ever going to China.

The strop was his agent angling for more money for his player and by commission himself.

People need to see these things for what they are.

A player like Oscar is a disgrace but also not a top star. Costa is whether we like him or not.

Looking at our squad and trying not to just want to sign players for the sake of it I just feel we lack pace up top on some occasions, a bit of experience if not ability in the midfield and 100% certainty in Lloris.

Of those only Lloris is unchangeable at this stage but just when he makes you believe he is the best in the world he reminds you of his fallibility.

No talk of Andrea Ranocchia (young defender) from Inter?

Watched Saturday's game with an Italian mate of mine, and he was saying the Italian press is reporting it as a done deal. He's an AC Milan fan, but obviously gets news of Inter transfers too. He says he would not be too excited himself, fwiw.

Anyone else heard anything of this or have an opinion?

Last edited:
No talk of Andrea Ranocchia (young defender) from Inter?

Watched Saturday's game with an Italian mate of mine, and he was saying the Italian press is reporting it as a done deal. He's an AC Milan fan, but obviously gets news of Inter transfers too. He says he would not be too excited personally, fwiw.

Anyone else heard anything of this or have an opinion?

Tottenham eye £5m Inter Milan defender Ranocchia after Vertonghen blow

4 minutes ago!

Errmahhgerd u itk bro?

Back
Top Bottom