January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“I would be surprised if any of my teammate were to leave now,” said Kane. “Something’s going on here, we’re just missing the last step: to win trophies.

“It would be stupid to leave now. We have one of the best technicians in the world, perhaps the best. Soon there will be a new stadium. The future is promising.”

Harry Kane

Wonder who´s being sold tomorrow then...the tea lady wants to got to Yoevil Town probably

he's a good lad that Harry, next season will be strange for sure however the players will know they are only a few months away from having one of the most impressive stadiums in the world as their new home.

A year is not so long and moving out will make it seem imminent...

Competition for CE is important for me as when he plays well we look very good however he goes missing too many games for my liking.

De Vrij is a cracking player and would be a great addition to our squad next summer. I imagine that would mean Wimmer leaving though

I'm partially Dutch so I know him a bit but I do not think he's better than Super Toby and Jan and doubt he's cheap enough to place on the bench.

Not going to pay a shitload of money again on fringe players like Janssen or Sissoko.

he's a good lad that Harry, next season will be strange for sure however the players will know they are only a few months away from having one of the most impressive stadiums in the world as their new home.

A year is not so long and moving out will make it seem imminent...

Competition for CE is important for me as when he plays well we look very good however he goes missing too many games for my liking.
It might seem like it, that he disappears in games, but that's wrong. Kane always participates in games, whether actively or passively. He is always going to find it easier scoring goals against smaller teams, it has become natural with modern football. The striker rarily gets on the scoresheet if two teams of the same strength play each other.

Kane is very all-round. He doesn't excel in any attribute, but he can do everything "decently". And he can take up any role Poch demans of him. Either play as a "true" number 9 (v City, it paid off with the assist), as a decoy striker (v Chelsea) or drift wide (which he used to do in his first season, but is not needed anymore thanks to Danny and Kyle). This is something we didn't have in a striker before. Adebayor hated the decoy role, Soldado's passing ability was actually really good (but everything else didn't work out) and Defoe was a lethal finisher, but just that.

I'm still expecting more from Janssen. I believe our scouting was looking out for a striker with exactly the same characteristics as Kane. Not special in anything, but better than average at everything. He does well with his back to goal and his passing is fine too. And if it doesn't work out, the search for a fitting second striker will continue. It's hard to find a striker which fits the criteria.

It'd allow us to play a three at the back with Dier in midfield instead of Wanyama though.

I'm all for some flexibility/rotation/depth in case of injuries.
Of course. But I think De Vrij is probably more interested in his career than he is in giving Spurs some depth. This isn't Barca/Madrid/Bayern, where talented young foreign players will happily sign up knowing they're not going to be starting any time soon. Heck, the biggest appeal of Spurs is that young talented players can get a starting spot here-isn't that why Eriksen said he chose Tottenham over Man City in the first place?

Of course. But I think De Vrij is probably more interested in his career than he is in giving Spurs some depth. This isn't Barca/Madrid/Bayern, where talented young foreign players will happily sign up knowing they're not going to be starting any time soon. Heck, the biggest appeal of Spurs is that young talented players can get a starting spot here-isn't that why Eriksen said he chose Tottenham over Man City in the first place?
Fair enough. I don't really know enough about De Vrij if I'm honest! Unfortunately, I'd say that Jan's injury history would give a backup CB around a quarter (if not more with any Toby injuries) of Premier League starts up for grabs - not a continuous spot though.

Signing another good defender would probably mean that either Wimmer or CCV weren't rated all that highly (my money currently being on Wimmer out of the two). However, you never know if Poch has whispered in Daniel's ear that he loves the back three and wants to have another option in there.

He'll enter the last year of his contract next summer

I'll love it to have a Dutch player in the squad who actually does something instead of fecking up all the time like Janssen.
Would be the first player with a Feyenoord history (I believe) instead of an Ajax history in our squad IF we happen to sign him.

See Coutinho signed for 5 years with Pool.

Is that a statement of intent now, or are they "just driving up his price for a summer move", like when Tottenham players extend...

:vertna::pochunimpressed:

31st Jan 23:59, Tottenham Hotspur are pleased to announce the signing of Jermain Defore on a 5 year contract....

Michy Batshuayi. That kid should've went for us but no he chose the chavs. Poch even said he wanted him. Would've been a much better back-up striker as I'm absolutely not convinced with Janssen.

Doubt we'll bring in someone else.

Back
Top Bottom