Bayer Leverkusen v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen's form is worrying... forgot he was playing, never a good sign... (at least Lamela put himself about a bit - but got booked for it - to remind you he was on the pitch!)

...apart from that, everything else, I can glean positives from!

I thought the whole back four were alright. It was our attacking players in the second half that couldn't keep the ball and take pressure off of them.

I quite liked how Leverkusen played actually, bit like us with their pressing and quick attacking football. Their manager will soon be snapped up I reckon.
I don't know. Hyppia/Lewandoski weren't. He/they played near enough the same.

Leverkusen where a mirror image of us, they controlled one half, lost control of the other, hard pressed a lot, created lots of chances but didn't take them, solid defensively, even finished 3rd last season. They have the same strengthens and weaknesses we do.

Lloris was MOM and we certainly needed him today. We would have lost that if Vorm had played. Just when we needed it we seemed incapable of playing boring passing football to keep the ball and take the sting out of the game and the ball kept on coming back. Definitely take a point from that match. All still to play for.

That second half was almost 'old' Spurs, when we would have folded. Fact is, we didn't and yes we rode our luck.
That would be the luck we got none of toiling through years of UEFA dross. Better teams will muller a performance like that, but let's remember we have lost Kane and Toby, who both played every league game last year.
We are a different proposition now. We have depth in every position and are moving forward.
We have dared, and are very much, doing.

Now the dust has settled a bit - I think we can all look at that as a point well gained. They dominated us second half, we couldn't create anything, they bossed midfield and if it wasn't for Lloris, we would have lost the game.

We had no Walker and Alderweireld in our back four, two important players for different reasons, yet we kept a cleansheet and Dier and Trippier looked relatively solid, Trippier especially had a good game.

Will be interesting to see how we treat the game at Wembley, I'd much rather go into our next two Champions League games full strength. Two wins out of our next two will pretty much see us through.

tumblr_of9gonYOK51vvwgg7o4_500.gif

I was expecting Trippier to get more balls. He made lots of good runs but instead we where dicking the ball around trying to dribble. Last season we would have folded, but we showed maturity and a cool head.

I was expecting Trippier to get more balls. He made lots of good runs but instead we where dicking the ball around trying to dribble. Last season we would have folded, but we showed maturity and a cool head.

Same as when Trippier was wide in space his crosses caused all sorts of issues. As you say why didn't we use him more, also our attacking players need to be making more runs into the box when Trippier is at the by line. I know we play pass and move but sometimes leg into the box when Trippier is crossing will get you a goal.

Back
Top Bottom