Bayer Leverkusen v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris
Walker - Wimmer - Vertonghen - Rose
Wanyama - Dembele
Lamela - Alli - Eriksen
Son
I'm hoping we decide to go with Wimmer for this one. I know Dier is right footed and has played centre back in the past but that's not his position anymore and should only EVER play there if we have no other centre halves available. We need to get used to one of Wimmer/Vertonghen playing right sided centre back, especially if Alderweireld is going to be out for a while and we may as well start as soon as possible.

Other then that, the team picks itself. Janssen will find it hard to get another start in Europe or the League on current form in my opinion, will most likely start against Liverpool in the League Cup but not in our next two that's for sure. I think Dembele will come back in for this one as long as he stays fit and doesn't pick up any injuries during training.

1-1
Son

Lloris
Walker - Dier- Vertonghen - Rose
Wanyama - Dembele
Eriksen - Alli - Son
Janssen

Put Jans in the starting XI before Kane comes back. He needs the Experience and hopefully a goal. Dier for Toby and Son must start along with Eriksen and Alli. They link up very well together.

---------------------------------Lloris---------------------------------
Walker---------------Dier------------Vertonghen-----------Rose
--------------------------------Wanyama----------------------------
Lamela---------------Alli--------------Dembele-----------Eriksen
-----------------------------------Son----------------------------------

Wimmer to start in place of Toby, needs game time and was excellent in his last run in the starting 11. If we start well could we please put the ball in the net. Son will also start.

---------------------------------Lloris---------------------------------
Walker---------------Dier------------Vertonghen-----------Rose
--------------------------------Wanyama----------------------------
Lamela---------------Alli--------------Dembele-----------Eriksen
-----------------------------------Son----------------------------------

This, all day long.

Sissoko, lamela & toby out.
son, wimmer & dembele in.

A point away will be good. Then beat them at home & we will be on track to qualify.

1-1. Son & hernandez.

How has hernandez been doing in germany?

-------------------------------------Lloris-------------------------------------
Walker---------------Wimmer------------Vertonghen-----------Rose
-----------------------------------Dier-----------------------------------------
Lamela----------------Alli---------------Dembele-------------Eriksen
-----------------------------------Son----------------------------------------

Give Wanyama a rest, he's been phenomenal and we have a lot of games in the next 3 weeks. An opportunity to get Dier back up to speed also.

-------------------------------------Lloris-------------------------------------
Walker---------------Wimmer------------Vertonghen-----------Rose
-----------------------------------Dier-----------------------------------------
Lamela----------------Alli---------------Dembele-------------Eriksen
-----------------------------------Son----------------------------------------

Give Wanyama a rest, he's been phenomenal and we have a lot of games in the next 3 weeks. An opportunity to get Dier back up to speed also.
I agree with you with lots of matches coming up Wanyama should be rested and Dier & Dembele play together as 2 like last season. Wimmer took his chance last season and needs to play or we will lose him. I think Trippier will play in this one and the Liverpool game.

Im confident of a win. Bayer can be dangerous on their day, but they offer alot of free space when they attack and are not defending as a unit. Think Chicarito might score, he is the only one consistently performing for then.

Wimmer to start in place of Toby, needs game time and was excellent in his last run in the starting 11. If we start well could we please put the ball in the net. Son will also start.
Wimmer is left-footed, though. IMO Dier taking Toby's spot is a no-brainer, especially with the form Wanyama is in.

Lloris
Walker Dier Vertonghen Davies
Dembele Wanyama
Lamela Alli Eriksen
Son

We have to play on the counter here. Leverkusen have some unbelievable talent. Pace is the best way to get at them, as we saw in Moscow.

We have to be on top of our game. Dembele being back is a huge boost, the negative is Toby... a few pictures showing he hasn't got a cast or anything on, but I'd rest him to avoid future issues.

COYS

Loris
Walker Dier Vert Rose
Wanyama Dembele
Nkoudou Dele Eriksen
Son

Bench: Vorm, Sissoko, Davies, Wimmer, Lamela, Onomah, Winks

People starting Wimmer are mad, we'd like to see it sure but the guy hasn't even been on the bench this season for the most pat. Will be Dier.

Just hope Rose can Start and Son at 9

I'm flying to Germany Tuesday morn 6am for this! excited!

Wimmer is left-footed, though. IMO Dier taking Toby's spot is a no-brainer, especially with the form Wanyama is in.
This LCB must be left footed and RCB must be right footed myth that has for some reason been created over the last couple of years has taken a whole life of it's own.

CB's can generally play either one.

Nesta/Cannavaro? Both right footed
Desailly/Blanc? Both right footed
Gentile/Scirea? Both right footed
Puyol/Pique? Both right footed
Baresi/Costacurta? Both right footed

Best for last...

King/Dawson - Both right footed

I don't know where this myth was created, but it's irked me for a while. Yes, there are preferred sides, but it's definitely not based on preferred foot and definitely doesn't mean they can't play the other.

It's absurd to think some would trust Vertonghen at left back before right sided centre back.

This LCB must be left footed and RCB must be right footed myth that has for some reason been created over the last couple of years has taken a whole life of it's own.

CB's can generally play either one.

Nesta/Cannavaro? Both right footed
Desailly/Blanc? Both right footed
Gentile/Scirea? Both right footed
Puyol/Pique? Both right footed
Baresi/Costacurta? Both right footed

Best for last...

King/Dawson - Both right footed

I don't know where this myth was created, but it's irked me for a while. Yes, there are preferred sides, but it's definitely not based on preferred foot and definitely doesn't mean they can't play the other.

It's absurd to think some would trust Vertonghen at left back before right sided centre back.
I don't know a damn thing about the myth you are talking about and I have no reason to doubt the footedness of any of the players you cite. However I have listened to the man who is responsible for the team selection speak enough to know that his PREFERENCE is for appropriately footed center backs and therefore those saying that this policy will be followed have a reasonable point. Also while Dier is not on Toby's level he is a premier league level center back. This makes him the most likely candidate to fill in for Toby. If it were Jan injured I have no doubt you would see Wimmer get most of the time. It is good that Poch has five players that he trusts to some level at these spots. Two years ago Fazio and Vlad could have started.

Back
Top Bottom