Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder what he did wrong? Is it his attitude, talent, workrate?

Probably that he lost an important year of progress through injury and is not seen as developed enough to be competitive at one of the world's 15(?) best footballing sides at the moment. And if he can't earn a place at the moment, he won't develop as he could elsewhere.

Is there any video of the press conference where Poch has made these comments?

I only ask because it seems a little odd to state so openly that some players are not in our plans/been told to go.
Doesn't exactly help when you're negotiating a fee with a buying club.

On the other hand, it would indicate how comfortable Poch now feels as our manager that he can discuss players in such a way.

19.20 in. With thanks to For better or worse For better or worse

Management - Mauricio Pochettino

I've not been entirely bothered by Spurs since the last few games melt down. I felt it best to give the passion a rest so have not actively kept an eye on Transfers etc ( not that there is much to keep an eye on ) & just paid them shy of £900 in expectation of better things to come and watched a bit of Tennis !

With little over a month until the Transfer window shuts and I awake from my slumber I feel concerned that we are not really doing enough at the top end of the market to be progressing at I hoped we might.

I understand that when we have Son, our world class attacking forward / striker / rush keeper :sonlol:so we can beat anyone on our day, but is that ability to dig in and win when the going is tough added to the squad yet ?

That leadership, and central midfield creativity gap has not been plugged, yet on evidence it was the most critical area to fix. As it stands I can't see anyone else being added to the squad to replace Tom "Tommy" Carroll. It is ( I feel ) very much necessary and I'm surprised at what we have bought in so far in that area as I see no change in shape / set up / ability with Victor ( not gonna spell his surname ) added to the Dier, Ali, Dembele mix.

Also does the defence need 1 more to replace the Jan sized gap? although Wimmer is quality and will step up There is a need for 4 CB's and maybe Dominic Ball is the answer there ? however, in that case it would be the answer " yes" to the question "would you like to finish 5/6th?"

Seriously it could be that Ben Davies could move across if needed, but only on the left side, who covers for Toby ? What we currently have does feel somewhat light for a challenge at the Title / top 3 and Champions League later stages... Maybe again that experienced leader is necessary in that right CB area, maybe even from the bench...

I'm being a tad cynical in my outlook perhaps but then we did get blown away by Newcastle 5-1 :walkercry: and it could be that that single cluster fuck continues to cloud my perception of the bigger picture and perhaps those in charge do know what they are doing ( that being pocketing the prize money and releasing only the funds generated by sales ) but it does feel cheap so far...

Let's go back to the summer of 2013, Bale is itching for a move, we spunk north of £100m+ making a statement about spending to ease the blow of losing our star player. The season turns out to be one of our worst for a number of years.

Have faith that we do not need to make whole sale changes to our squad, we haven't lost anyone and I don't expect us to make statement signings to be back up to our main 11. We have made signings to the areas we lacked last season.

Other teams are splashing cash but no guarantee of instant success after their failures of last season.

Our season tailed off very badly once we were out of the title race. Let's remember how good we were up to and to a point against the Chavs.

When Mason plays like absolute shite again next season (which is obviously going to happen) ...poch deserves the blame for continuously showing faith in him despite playing like crap. He gave benteleb 1 game on his return to prove himself...yet he gives mason countless games. Really unfair tbh.
Poch has his favourites.
If he don't like you then that's it.
That is why mason & carroll get loads of chances no matter how average they perform.
Where as the likes of lennon, bentaleb, andros etc he was never going to give a fair chance to.

At least we don't have to worry about real madrid trying to get poch.
With all the attitude & ego's in that team there would be hardly anyone left once poch has finished with them.

Poch has his favourites.
That is why mason & carroll get loads of chances no matter how average they perform.
Where as the likes of lennon, bentaleb, andros etc he was never going to give a fair chance to.

With all the attitude & ego's in that team there would be hardly anyone left once poch has finished with them.

Maybe because Mason and Carroll work hard in training, and the others don't/didn't? I don't think it's personal. He just demands hard work.

Poch has his favourites.

They were all given a fair chance, it's on them to take advantage of their opportunities and they never did.

Poch has his favourites.

Pochettino may have his favourites, but why does he have his favourites? Is it because little Tommy C brings him an apple a day? Or Ryan is a master of the espresso machine? Perhaps he sees enough hard work, fight, aggression, passion in their training, day in, day out to continuously give them a chance to prove themselves?

After years of watching Aaron Lennon never fulfil his promise, but become a player that became more renowned for digging in and tracking back, or Andros 'fighting with coaching staff Townsend' and Nabil 'disregard orders' Bentaleb. We will never be party to the reasons players are sold. That is for the coaches/club to decide what is best for our squad.

I've not been entirely bothered by Spurs since the last few games melt down. I felt it best to give the passion a rest so have not actively kept an eye on Transfers etc ( not that there is much to keep an eye on ) & just paid them shy of £900 in expectation of better things to come and watched a bit of Tennis !

With little over a month until the Transfer window shuts and I awake from my slumber I feel concerned that we are not really doing enough at the top end of the market to be progressing at I hoped we might.

I understand that when we have Son, our world class attacking forward / striker / rush keeper :sonlol:so we can beat anyone on our day, but is that ability to dig in and win when the going is tough added to the squad yet ?

That leadership, and central midfield creativity gap has not been plugged, yet on evidence it was the most critical area to fix. As it stands I can't see anyone else being added to the squad to replace Tom "Tommy" Carroll. It is ( I feel ) very much necessary and I'm surprised at what we have bought in so far in that area as I see no change in shape / set up / ability with Victor ( not gonna spell his surname ) added to the Dier, Ali, Dembele mix.

Also does the defence need 1 more to replace the Jan sized gap? although Wimmer is quality and will step up There is a need for 4 CB's and maybe Dominic Ball is the answer there ? however, in that case it would be the answer " yes" to the question "would you like to finish 5/6th?"

Seriously it could be that Ben Davies could move across if needed, but only on the left side, who covers for Toby ? What we currently have does feel somewhat light for a challenge at the Title / top 3 and Champions League later stages... Maybe again that experienced leader is necessary in that right CB area, maybe even from the bench...

I'm being a tad cynical in my outlook perhaps but then we did get blown away by Newcastle 5-1 :walkercry: and it could be that that single cluster fuck continues to cloud my perception of the bigger picture and perhaps those in charge do know what they are doing ( that being pocketing the prize money and releasing only the funds generated by sales ) but it does feel cheap so far...
I don't think levy is targeting the title or anything. I think another top 4 will do.
Levy isn't going to throw out all the stops to get us a title winning team.

Maybe because Mason and Carroll work hard in training, and the others don't/didn't? I don't think it's personal. He just demands hard work.
I don't think all of bentelab, lennon, andros are particularly well known for not working hard in training & being really lazy.

I think he might be under valuing actual football ability.
it's ok if your average like carroll as long as you work hard in training.
strange.

I don't think levy is targeting the title or anything. I think another top 4 will do.
Levy isn't going to throw out all the stops to get us a title winning team.
"Throwing out all the stops" really doesn't seem to be working for most teams in this league anymore.

The two most impressive teams last season weren't developed by signing huge name players with expensive transfer fees, so actually I don't really understand what point you're trying to make. Man U threw out all the stops for Van Gaal to sign the players he wanted, Mourinho had the same. They both got sacked. City never got going or seemed bothered despite all of their star power.

Instead it was cheap little Leicester City, and Tottenham playing a bunch of youth players.

Who do you think would deliver us a title?
Messi without an afro would improve us, the 50% tax may be an issue though.

giphy.gif

Pochettino may have his favourites, but why does he have his favourites? Is it because little Tommy C brings him an apple a day? Or Ryan is a master of the espresso machine? Perhaps he sees enough hard work, fight, aggression, passion in their training, day in, day out to continuously give them a chance to prove themselves?

After years of watching Aaron Lennon never fulfil his promise, but become a player that became more renowned for digging in and tracking back, or Andros 'fighting with coaching staff Townsend' and Nabil 'disregard orders' Bentaleb. We will never be party to the reasons players are sold. That is for the coaches/club to decide what is best for our squad.
True. But I disagree & would have bentaleb over mason & carroll.
Fight over substance floats poch's boat.
Each to their own.

Obviously poch knows way more than us all.
But I am sure he isn't infallible despite many saying trust in poch.

Nor have mason or carroll. Still here though.

I'd say Mason has been given plenty of opportunity, probably why he has been kept on. Prior to his injury last season he was a regular starter. Only by the time he got back he's been replaced by Alli and Dembele had gone into beast mode. Carroll was also given plenty of sub minutes, more so than Bentaleb.

Back
Top Bottom