Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not if the belief is that it will bounce back soon.
So why is VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur saying it would be better for Levy to offer more up front when the pound is weak?
Because the pound is cheaper! It's time value of money.

Paying over time isn't a good idea if you have reason to believe that the pounds you pay tomorrow are going to be worth more than today. If the pound is ultra cheap right now, then it incentive is to pay more up front in cheaper pounds.

Because the pound is cheaper! It's time value of money.

Paying over time isn't a good idea if you have reason to believe that the pounds you pay tomorrow are going to be worth more than today. If the pound is ultra cheap right now, then it incentive is to pay more up front in cheaper pounds.
But we have to pay them in Euros which cost more to buy with our weak pound.

I seem to recall that Michy was discussed on here a few years back, when he was still at Standard. Because of our tie-in, I had this niggling feeling we had the chance to sign him back then, but didn't. Did he perhaps have a trial with our youngsters? Or am I imagining that.

Anyway, just to add my thoughts... he's had a decent season in the French league and isn't starting for the national side too often. I'm by no means a scout, but I don't exactly see where this €40m price tag is justified? Is it not an example of the effect the media has, when many fans & clubs actually believe he's worth that?

It's a bit like gambling that a player will turn out good (like the Lamela transfer) rather than paying for their current ability plus their potential (like Eriksen?).

In short, I'd prefer to roll the dice with someone like Janssen, who seems like a decent lad with good potential, without an obscene transfer free, and still afford maybe one or two players in the mould of Sanabria, for example.

I'm not really going to lose sleep over this Batshuayi thing though if Chelsea sign him, as I'm still not bothered that Chelsea nabbed Oscar, Cuadrado or even Cahill from us (can't stand him).

Quote from the Daily Mirror.

SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW
You know it's the Summer transfer window when the rumours go into overdrive and Woolwich fans start complaining they aren't spending. With this summer seeing more money and new managers this could be one of the most active transfer windows in years.
Are they ever not complaining about that? Even when they dropped 40 million on one player they were still whining about how lil' ol Woolwich couldn't spend.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but does anyone think the week pond will delay European transfers with the hope it bounces back a little. Guess Levy might go for structured payments over time rather than take the bite while so volatile.

Clubs normally buy currencies well in advance of planning transfers so that they don't get burnt by fluctuations in value.

Had something interesting pointed out to me that may have been why Spurs got cold feet on Batshuayi. He has a very high ratio of turnovers to successful attacking touches. A bad first touch when attacking the way we do is not something we can afford.

Its funny you mention this because up until his brief cameo for Belgium the other day I hadn't seen anything of Batsuayhi and the impression I got from the few touches he had, the way he took his goal, the way he carries himself, etc, is he doesn't seem to be much of a 'technician'. Now it was just an impression like I said, you guys have watched him closely the last year and know way more than I do. Fast, powerful and athletic is great, streaky bacon for a first touch not so good. It's why I'm not a huge fan of Lukaku.

Its funny you mention this because up until his brief cameo for Belgium the other day I hadn't seen anything of Batsuayhi and the impression I got from the few touches he had, the way he took his goal, the way he carries himself, etc, is he doesn't seem to be much of a 'technician'. Now it was just an impression like I said, you guys have watched him closely the last year and know way more than I do. Fast, powerful and athletic is great, streaky bacon for a first touch not so good. It's why I'm not a huge fan of Lukaku.
Can't take credit myself, as I'm not a scout watching a ton of players. Just passing on an interesting point that someone made this morning.

That's a very childish comment to make. It's like me suggesting if you want underwhelming signings and mediocrity go and support Norwich or Fulham.
The glamorous world famous club I grew up supporting now seems unwilling to compete in the transfer market with clubs who have rarely competed on our level in the past. Don't you find that frustrating ?

I want signings that are needed by our squad. Don't buy into us needing to spend big on elite players. Rather we unearthed more Alli's and Dier's and made our own superstars. We just don't have the finances of the likes of the Chav's, City, Utd, Woolwich or even the Dippers. What frustrates me is the sense of self entitlement amongst some fans. The ones who must have it now and not remembering the days we were almost bankrupted by spending money we never had on players. Levy and the board maybe tight but they know how to run the business side of the club whether we like it or not. Also what message does it send to our squad when untried players are bought big and paid more?

I seem to recall that Michy was discussed on here a few years back, when he was still at Standard. Because of our tie-in, I had this niggling feeling we had the chance to sign him back then, but didn't. Did he perhaps have a trial with our youngsters? Or am I imagining that.

Anyway, just to add my thoughts... he's had a decent season in the French league and isn't starting for the national side too often. I'm by no means a scout, but I don't exactly see where this €40m price tag is justified? Is it not an example of the effect the media has, when many fans & clubs actually believe he's worth that?

It's a bit like gambling that a player will turn out good (like the Lamela transfer) rather than paying for their current ability plus their potential (like Eriksen?).

In short, I'd prefer to roll the dice with someone like Janssen, who seems like a decent lad with good potential, without an obscene transfer free, and still afford maybe one or two players in the mould of Sanabria, for example.

I'm not really going to lose sleep over this Batshuayi thing though if Chelsea sign him, as I'm still not bothered that Chelsea nabbed Oscar, Cuadrado or even Cahill from us (can't stand him).
Whoa, first Wikipedia Brown Wikipedia Brown , now you!

0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

Welcome back.

Whoa, first Wikipedia Brown Wikipedia Brown , now you!

Welcome back.

Thanks.

Took 18 months or so out to get some things sorted. Too easy to get wrapped up in a forum being an outlet for other things in life.

Anyway, I'm probably in the safe zone here now, what with our English players doing well, Adebayor having moved and already been binned off from another club, and Soldado having left our loving care...
:pochrolleyes:

As an interesting aside, this is now doing the rounds...

Tottenham indecision leads to failed transfer, had deal pretty much wrapped up a month ago - Sportwitness

"La Provence even go as far as saying the deal to send him to White Hart Lane was pretty much done a month and a half ago, and also included Benjamin Mendy, then a Marseille player.

But Spurs never went through with it, Benjamin Mendy went to Monaco and Chelsea turned up with €40m in hand to get a deal done.

Daniel Levy never gave up, but it just wasn’t enough.

Marseille accepted the €40m from Chelsea, Michy Batshuayi was told of this and immediately agreed to it, and the rest is/will be history."

I know the default position will be that it was DL's fault, but I can't help but feel there's more sense to this.

Back
Top Bottom