Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty sure no one ever suggested we paid transfers in briefcases of notes. But even in digital bank transactions you have little virtual £s floating about and little virtual €s, and no matter who you are there's no institution in the world who is going to swap your virtual £s for virtual €s without keeping some for themselves. Just for currency fluctuation and that reason as well, there's no way that any club our size, much less one run by a man who made his fortune in this exact business, hasn't diversified our virtual £s, €s, $s, ¥s, and all the other little □s I don't have buttons for. If anything, I'd be willing to bet shit tons of my virtual $s that Spurs are richer today than they were last week...

Seriously guys...sometimes I worry.

:levystare:
Yes, I agree, but my point to VS was that a weak pound shouldn't mean we should pay more up front for a potential signing from Europe.

kosta.jpg

Azpiliqueta apparently. Or whatever he's called.

VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur let's say £1 is worth €1 today. A €30m player would cost £30m. Last week he would have cost £25m. If I'm being really thick here I'll hold my hand up.
You're not being thick, you're just coming at it from a different angle; you're not incorrect, you're just looking at exchange rates and applying them in a different way and at a different point.

And in the case of your paying in Euros example, you're basically skipping around the exchange rate and cheap pound problem entirely.

You're not being thick, you're just coming at it from a different angle; you're not incorrect, you're just looking at exchange rates and applying them in a different way and at a different point.

And in the case of your paying in Euros example, you're basically skipping around the exchange rate and cheap pound problem entirely.

So if a club wants €30m for a player the weak pound isn't a problem? You know I'm no economist, how does it work?

Yes, I agree, but my point to VS was that a weak pound shouldn't mean we should pay more up front for a potential signing from Europe.

Didn't mean to imply I took issue with the economics problem, just the idea that we weren't paying for transfers in some form of currency...

For what it's worth on the economics side, I'm in agreement with you. Maybe I'll get schooled as well, but if you assume the £ will rebound as it's doing and I believe it will continue to, then you'd rather spread the payment out if you were converting £s into €s as you'll get more €s later for your £s.

I'd say its academic anyway, as we're likely buying straight in €s we have on hand. But, like you, I'm no economist so I'm sure someone can find a way to squeeze a few extra pennies out of every deal anyway...

So if a club wants €30m for a player the weak pound isn't a problem? You know I'm no economist, how does it work?
Well it's entirely possible that because of how frequently major clubs in the UK work in terms of Euros, that they hold a lot of money in Euros anyways. Maybe not 30m of course, but for more run of the mill payments and certainly the small up-front costs then it's possible that Spurs could pay in Euros, in which case the weak pound and exchange rates don't even come into it. Plenty of international companies hold reserves in foreign currencies; there's nothing wrong with it and in fact it eliminates minor transaction costs.

Well it's entirely possible that because of how frequently major clubs in the UK work in terms of Euros, that they hold a lot of money in Euros anyways. Maybe not 30m of course, but for more run of the mill payments and certainly the small up-front costs then it's possible that Spurs could pay in Euros, in which case the weak pound and exchange rates don't even come into it. Plenty of international companies hold reserves in foreign currencies; there's nothing wrong with it and in fact it eliminates minor transaction costs.

Especially if we are still owed instalments for the likes of Bale, Paulinho, Soldado, Holtby etc. that are due in Euros?

They must do, currency fluctuations are literally the first thing you have to guard yourself against when you're dealing in foreign currency. I don't believe for a second that Levy hasn't hedged the clubs money, he's Daniel Levy ffs

It's amazing how young players don't learn from what they see happen at Chelsea.. Just look at Lukaku, De Bruyne and Cuadrado. All brilliant players but had nightmare spells at Chelsea then had to move on.

Batshuayi may look at Drogba and try and emulate him but I honestly give him a couple of years before he's on the move again.

Scary thought - almost exactly 13 years ago, we let Hoddle buy Postiga for between £6.25 and £8m.

That's not too far off the same amount you received in prize money back then, if you won the league.
(ref: BBC SPORT | Football | Premiership | The huge cost of a single game)

Last season, Leicester received ~£95m in prize money.

Imagine spending £95m on Postiga :clintonohshit:

Scary thought, as using the prize money vs player cost, that would make Janssen have an asking price of £3m in 2003's transfer money (assuming AZ want about £16m?). Or two Bobby Zamoras :harryhmm:

It's amazing how young players don't learn from what they see happen at Chelsea.. Just look at Lukaku, De Bruyne and Cuadrado. All brilliant players but had nightmare spells at Chelsea then had to move on.

Batshuayi may look at Drogba and try and emulate him but I honestly give him a couple of years before he's on the move again.

Unfortunately footballers are surrounded by people who constantly tell them they are the next big thing - none of them ever make a move thinking they aren't going to break into the first team at some point.

JJ has spoken regarding Michy:

"Expensive bench warmer and he wanted to play weekly as not the type to wait about with Kane being no 1 in our system.
We were never going to pay over the odds for him and that became apparent a few months ago allegedly.
Poch is fine and the other option will work out better in the long run."

JJ has spoken regarding Michy:

"Expensive bench warmer and he wanted to play weekly as not the type to wait about with Kane being no 1 in our system.
We were never going to pay over the odds for him and that became apparent a few months ago allegedly.
Poch is fine and the other option will work out better in the long run."
And the other option is...?
Wasn't this joker creaming his pants not so long ago that "Bats was in the bag"?

:pocheyes:

Back
Top Bottom