Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thanks.

Took 18 months or so out to get some things sorted. Too easy to get wrapped up in a forum being an outlet for other things in life.

Anyway, I'm probably in the safe zone here now, what with our English players doing well, Adebayor having moved and already been binned off from another club, and Soldado having left our loving care...
:pochrolleyes:

As an interesting aside, this is now doing the rounds...

Tottenham indecision leads to failed transfer, had deal pretty much wrapped up a month ago - Sportwitness

"La Provence even go as far as saying the deal to send him to White Hart Lane was pretty much done a month and a half ago, and also included Benjamin Mendy, then a Marseille player.

But Spurs never went through with it, Benjamin Mendy went to Monaco and Chelsea turned up with €40m in hand to get a deal done.

Daniel Levy never gave up, but it just wasn’t enough.

Marseille accepted the €40m from Chelsea, Michy Batshuayi was told of this and immediately agreed to it, and the rest is/will be history."

I know the default position will be that it was DL's fault, but I can't help but feel there's more sense to this.

We probably agreed in principle what fee we would have to pay - but with the player reportedly asking for £100k pw and seemingly keen to wait until the Euros was over to make a decision then I can see why we've let time pass.

Good luck to Chelsea if they want to pay him stupid wages, I'm sure he'll do well on loan to some Serie A club in 18 months time.

We probably agreed in principle what fee we would have to pay - but with the player reportedly asking for £100k pw and seemingly keen to wait until the Euros was over to make a decision then I can see why we've let time pass.

Good luck to Chelsea if they want to pay him stupid wages, I'm sure he'll do well on loan to some Serie A club in 18 months time.

The plastic Chelski fans on twitter seemed to be expecting he'd be loaned out to Vitesse

:vertna:

Not sure why anyone would choose to work under Conte though, doesn't sound like a good guy to work for (based on his references in the media so far)

Forbes club list has Juventus at #9, us at #10 and Dortmund at #11. These are our literal peer clubs in financial resources.

Juventus has been a much more successful club historically. But they have to find and pay for players the same way we do, at the same price range we do.
No they don't - they're owned by one of Italy's richest families

Ok, I'll grant you that Juve are the bigger club, but not by much.
Their trophy cabinet suggests a different story.

Remember - Forbes' valuation includes turnover and Prem clubs have a massive advantage in terms of TV rights, sponsorships, etc.

Comparatively speaking - Juventus is one of Italy's 3 biggest clubs and most successful domestically. We're 5/6th biggest in the Prem which equates to Lazio / Roma size-wise. Unless you want to use turnover as a yard-stick

Their trophy cabinet suggests a different story.

Remember - Forbes' valuation includes turnover and Prem clubs have a massive advantage in terms of TV rights, sponsorships, etc.

Comparatively speaking - Juventus is one of Italy's 3 biggest clubs and most successful domestically. We're 5/6th biggest in the Prem which equates to Lazio / Roma size-wise. Unless you want to use turnover as a yard-stick
Ok, fair enough.

Being trying to look for rival club ITK on their respective forums.

Had a poke around on one of the Chelsea forums, but all I could find were mumbling comments about Solanke being better than Lukaku and Batshuayi. One supposed ITK thinks it's all wrapped up because Conte took Bat's agent to dinner.

I should have turned around when I saw they had a thread named "Best looking Chelsea Players". :llorishuh:

Pretty sure no one ever suggested we paid transfers in briefcases of notes. But even in digital bank transactions you have little virtual £s floating about and little virtual €s, and no matter who you are there's no institution in the world who is going to swap your virtual £s for virtual €s without keeping some for themselves. Just for currency fluctuation and that reason as well, there's no way that any club our size, much less one run by a man who made his fortune in this exact business, hasn't diversified our virtual £s, €s, $s, ¥s, and all the other little □s I don't have buttons for. If anything, I'd be willing to bet shit tons of my virtual $s that Spurs are richer today than they were last week...

Seriously guys...sometimes I worry.

:levystare:

Wants CL, moves to Chelsea. Why of course, Michy. Idiot.

Back to Jannsen.
"I want to play in the Champions League" is just another way of saying "I want to get paid more", since the clubs that offer the highest wages nearly always play in the CL anyway. It lets the player give an excuse for choosing a richer team without looking like a 'mercenary'.

For the Chavs, Batshuayi won't be the star player they expect having signed the likes of Shevchenko, Drogba, Torres, Costa. He's more thought of a more like Lukaku before Lukaku went to WBA and Everton.

No they don't - they're owned by one of Italy's richest families
Meaning what? The club isn't run as a loss-making toy:
Juventus on the Forbes Soccer Team Valuations List

We're owned by a wealthy currency trader. They're owned by industrial magnates. They're also our financial peers and are run in a very smart, business-like manner.

They've been very successful historically, and are the biggest club in Italy with all their competition run terribly, but in terms of raw financial muscle, they're not significantly different from us.

I should have turned around when I saw they had a thread named "Best looking Chelsea Players". :llorishuh:

kosta.jpg

Thanks.

Took 18 months or so out to get some things sorted. Too easy to get wrapped up in a forum being an outlet for other things in life.

Anyway, I'm probably in the safe zone here now, what with our English players doing well, Adebayor having moved and already been binned off from another club, and Soldado having left our loving care...
:pochrolleyes:

As an interesting aside, this is now doing the rounds...

Tottenham indecision leads to failed transfer, had deal pretty much wrapped up a month ago - Sportwitness

"La Provence even go as far as saying the deal to send him to White Hart Lane was pretty much done a month and a half ago, and also included Benjamin Mendy, then a Marseille player.

But Spurs never went through with it, Benjamin Mendy went to Monaco and Chelsea turned up with €40m in hand to get a deal done.

Daniel Levy never gave up, but it just wasn’t enough.

Marseille accepted the €40m from Chelsea, Michy Batshuayi was told of this and immediately agreed to it, and the rest is/will be history."

I know the default position will be that it was DL's fault, but I can't help but feel there's more sense to this.
I think it would always have been a stretch to get it done before the Euros - and with Chelsea entering the mix with stupid wages on offer, that was us done.

Sorting Janssen now (who lest we forget it not burdened by international tournaments) would be a good signal that the club is getting things in order ASAP.

It's painfully obvious that we need a like-for-like Kane alternative.

They really are a cancer to the football world.

Not even run that well. These days they seem to have more misses than hits in terms of transfer policy.

Think of Mourinho what you will, and yes he's a right cunt, but he's really been the only one, they've had where they made the right signings and built a team. All other times, it's just been scatter gun!

I think it would always have been a stretch to get it done before the Euros - and with Chelsea entering the mix with stupid wages on offer, that was us done.

Sorting Janssen now (who lest we forget it not burdened by international tournaments) would be a good signal that the club is getting things in order ASAP.

It's painfully obvious that we need a like-for-like Kane alternative.

We do, and I'm not convinced it was him.

I wouldn't mind if we went all Vardy and bought another Kane-before-Kane-became-this-Kane.... or like a Shane Long type player.

Do want Janssen though, as he'll be twice the price next year imo

Back
Top Bottom