Your first Spurs game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got my grandparents over and my grandad (86, palace fan) has had a few glasses of wine and has mentioned a few stories which could be of interest.

His LAST Spurs game was the 13-2 against Crewe. He went to the game with his brother in law who was a fanatical spurs fan (moved to Australia soon after).

The brother in law's mother was the first tea lady at Spurs. She literally served tea and oranges to the players back in the 1890s.

All that makes the fact that my first game was a high scoring win against Coventry in the late 80s quite dull...

If I'm honest I haven't been to too many games mainly due to lack of funds. Even though my Dads a Spurs fan he's never actually taken me to a match at WHL he has taken me to see Leyton Orient probably because they're cheaper. He did take me to see Spurs vs St Albans (My home town) in a pre season friendly one year. I think we won 6-2 Ginola scored, well he probably did. Also one of my best mates and his brother did the half time entertainment of a judo display. That was my first Spurs Match anyway if it counts.

My first Match and only at WHL though came a bit later, which my step dad took me for my birthday it was against Everton we won 3-0 I think, Kanoute scored it may have been the 04/05 season. I've been to more away games oddly not many more though. I want to start going to more games but as always its comes down to cash, though I think I'm gonna make more of an effort to get to some games next season.

:hudd:

GYI0058985658_crop_450x500.jpg

The first since I was 10 (I don't remember the games from before I was 10, only Chelsea away).

9-1 against Wigan.. still have the ticket.

Such an amazing game to go to as your first for 7 years.

Away to Celtic pre season, must've been about 6 or 7 years ago now. Was in Scotland visiting some friends of my parents and it just so happened we were playing at Celtic park. Can't remember the score, Ive got a feeling we lost though.

All I do remember is that it was hammering it down, freezing cold and chanting "You fat bastard!" At home nutjob with no shirt on.

Ha, found the match report -http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/2004-08-10%3A+Celtic+2-0+Tottenham%2C+Friendly

God our team was awful

late 60's v burnley & stood on the lower shelf with my dad & older brothers.

first game on my own was v newcastle around 1970!..then you could walk all the way round the ground..i wanted to getinto the old enclosure in the west stand but didnt want to pay the extra 5p so i told the steward on the gate i'd lost my dad &he let me in.
they used pile up ready made cups of tea on the counter ready for half time & you used help yourself,never realised you had to pay.
first away game was v qpr
& first european away trip was feyernoord uefa cup final.

I was a late developer on football but I got my debut standing on the shelf, Spurs 4-3 Coventry a hat trick for Gordon Durie and the other for Lineker, it was the 91/92 season.

I consider myself very lucky to have got the chance to stand on the shelf.

Not sure if it was 1991 or '92 but it was Everton at home I think. Was on shelf side standing with the old man and my Brother (who got me into Spurs) and had a hard time seeing anything being a wee lad and all that. We were 3-0 up at half time and drew 3-3 in the end. It was here I knew this was the pain and disappointment I wanted to endure for the rest of my life. :baletroll:

This was my first game as well!
Was in the Paxton with my old man, I was about 6 years old, my dad told me to stand on the wooden seat in order to see better but I kept falling off. I said to him at half time "surely we'll win now?" and he said "not necessarily, this is Spurs..."

have alook here fella loads of old photo's & archive video you wont have seen anywhere else!..feck the opus!!...wonderful site

http://www.ohwhenthespurs.co.uk/

at the top are little icons,..click on "fans". when the page loads scroll down to thebottom past all the trouble on the terraces video's (come backto them later!!)&click on the enter icon right at the bottom & another page will load!..scroll & on right hand side are icons "white hart lane 60's & 80's click onthe 60's icon & a video will come of fans inthe60's...it starts with a steam train arriving at whl station...wonderful stuff that unashamedly brings tears to my eyes,

enjoy lads& ladies

I absolutely love seeing these old videos. It's great to be able to make a connection to the way the club was before my time, and see how it has (and hasn't) changed.

By the way, the two videos at the bottom of the 'fans' page (http://www.ohwhenthespurs.co.uk/#/the-fans/4535291868) are utterly superb viewing.

I was due to see my first Tottenham game when I was holidaying in the UK (from Australia) last July.

Tottenham Membership - check
Tottenham vs. Everton tickets - check
Tottenham Riots - check
Tottenham cancellation - check

had to go to QPR v Bolton instead as I was staying in West London..

still yet to see my beloved Spurs :(

1967 ish....

Depends which year it was we beat West Ham 5-1, (I recall mackay walloping hurst...
bit of a myth that he never did anything dirty btw)

and / or Liverpool 2-1, with greaves scoring direct from a corner.

Or it could have been some other game

I'll have to dig the programmes out to try and remember !

My first game as a supporter (too young to attend) we beat Everton 10-4...
and drew 4-4 with Pompey who were bottom.

1979 v West Brom, finished 1-1. Terrible weather, terrible game.
Spurs line up that day:
[formation=442, Daines, McAllister, Perryman, Miller, Hughton, Villa, Ardiles, Yorath, Hoddle, Armstrong, Jones][/formation]

Very first game I was dragged along by my dad (I didn't like football at the time) to a home game against Wimbledon in 1991. Pretty sure it was 0-0 or 1-1.
Gazza and lineker were in the side but I have zero memory of even seeing a ball being kicked. I was 8 years old and I didn't like the angry atmosphere or the uncomfortable seats.

Few years later though my dad tried again and I'm glad he did. Was a home game against everton where Darren caskey scored to win the game 3-2 in the dying minutes.
Again I don't remember the goal itself or how we played. I just know that the crowd reaction to the win is what awoke the passion for football in me.
Was hooked from there on in.

Edit: found it on YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom