Your first Spurs game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1970 home to Utd 2-2, top game, legends from both sides on pitch, plenty of mud very little grass, 50k + crowd, great atmosphere.

So jealous of you all. I have no idea who we played and what the score was, or what year. Apart from those vital details I remember everything about the day/night, I can narrow it down to either 1973 or 1974 and I'm five or six years old. Drew all over the programme faking the player signatures. Sat on my mates Dad's knee the entire game in Upper East.

Saturday 27th November 1976
Tottenham Hotspur V Stoke City
We won 2-0 ,Keith Osgood scored twice, a header and a penalty.
My Dad was very impressed with the youngster Stoke had playing up front for them,Garth Crooks..Wonder what happened to him

I always thought the first game I went to was spurs Bolton 77-78 div 2 season then I looked at the records and the Bristol rovers 9-0 game was before the Bolton game.

The strange thing is that I distinctly remember that the Bristol rovers game was not the first time I went to the lane.

That's means spurs 9-0 is the first game I can recall going to.

1981 charity shield. 2 - 2 with the Villa. Fans climbing up the walls to get in, bottles of whiskey being swigged from, kids down the front.......so different now!!

First WHL game was Southampton in 83, we won 1-0. Cup game I think as we battered them in the league, unless I am confused with years? Remember having WHL pointed out to me as we left Bruce grove..............

I always thought the first game I went to was spurs Bolton 77-78 div 2 season then I looked at the records and the Bristol rovers 9-0 game was before the Bolton game.

The strange thing is that I distinctly remember that the Bristol rovers game was not the first time I went to the lane.

That's means spurs 9-0 is the first game I can recall going to.

Fantastic memory. I couldn't go to this one, as my mum and dad were going back to Malta for good and we were having a small going-away party. But as it was televised by the BBC (when they showed Second Division games) and this was before video recorders/i-play, etc, I insisted we watched it - Mum wasn't impressed :). We could have had a cricket score that day. Funny seeing Glen wearing the No 4 shirt. Peter Taylor was probably better known for his Norman Wisdom impression. Colin Lee hardly did anything else for us but what a dream debut, he followed Stevie P to Brentford. Met Ian Moores and John Gorman the following year on holiday in Malta, they were staying at the complex my mum worked at.

My first game at White Hart Lane was a reserve game in 1989. Spurs beat Luton Town 2-1 don't remember much about the game but Bobby Mimms was in goal and John Moncur stood out from the rest of the team. Security let me run around the edge of the pitch after the game had ended!

My first proper game was in September 1992 in the East Stand upper when Spurs beat Everton 2-1, Spurs were 1-0 down when Paul Allen equalised with 10 minutes to go and a 17 year old Andy Turner got the winner in injury time. I think I must have re-read the programme about 50 times in the following week.

think we were still standing on the Shelf for this one, but I couldn't go to this as I was so ill - this is how I measure my level of sickness - if I can't get to Spurs, I must be really ill! Remember listening to the game on the radio and just about managed to raise a weakened cheer.

Michael Dawson......TIME TRAVELER!!!!!!!

Uq2P0.png

So delighted that after many years of searching I've finally located some footage of my first game. 1990/1 v Nottingham Forest in the league, just before the FA Cup final. It's just 38 seconds but from an era when not many games were televised I'm thrilled to just have that.

I always knew it was the first and only time I got to see Gazza play in the flesh, happy to see he got the assist here! I was 6 or 7 at the time so couldn't recall much about the game.

First one I went to with mates and a few others was against Utd in '87. Remember getting the train down and one of the older kids asked me for a prediction. "4-0 to Spurs" I said.
It was.
Shelf for that one and many more after. "I'm only a poor little Yiddo!"

But I'm fairly certain I went once in '84 or '85 but can't remember who we played.

19th September 1981 3-0 over Everton.

Clemence
Hughton
Miller
Roberts
Perryman
Ardiles
Galvin
Hoddle
Villa
Archibald
Falco

Being a fat 11 year old I remember moaning about the long walk from Seven Sisters in the drizzle, the smell of horse shit and onions. After game walking passed the Park Lane from East stand and the crowd singing "Tottenham are back, Tottenham are back. Hello! Hello!" Bought a badge with the chant on it which I still have. Program is in a frame now although half the pages are missing as I must have stuck pictures onto my bedroom wall

Mine was the League Cup semi final 2nd leg at home against West Brom on 10th February 1982. The first leg had finished 0-0 with Martin Jol sent off for West Brom. Micky Hazard scored for a 1-0 victory in the second leg.

April 1987 I think, I was 12 at the time. Spurs vs Charlton at WHL. 1-0, Clive Allen (around the 45th min).

Vaguely Interesting things from the day:
  • Walking to the game from WHL station, my uncle who took me (a Woolwich fan), spotted Pat Jennings walking down the High Road, so I ran over to him and meekly asked him to sign my programme, which he gladly did. Top bloke.
  • Pat was at WHL to present Ray Clemence with a trophy for breaking his appearance record
  • My uncle went to get burgers at half time, so he missed the goal
  • Ticket was in the West Lower, and cost £8.
  • ...and Hoddle was a god.

First game: Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds United, Wed 19 August 1970. Was a birthday treat for my eighth birthday, we lost 2 nil but all I remember was how fantastically green the pitch was.
Best Game: UEFA cup final v Anderlect

Back
Top Bottom