Yid no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair enough, we have dfferent memories. I don't remeber any great emphasis on 'yid army' and the rest of it before the 1990s, but if you say there was, I won't disagree.

All I can say is I nor themany friends I went to the Lane with in the 60s-80s NEVER EVER sang Yid Army, we none of us thought of ourselves as Jewish, except the one Jewish friend I had who went regularly with us to the games. He never sang Yid Army either, and just went around supporting Spurs like the rest of us, I saw no difference in him at all, to any of us.

Very easy to get confused back in those wild days.

When I first heard the "Yiddos" chant, I thought we were singing about egoes............... :levyeyes:

Fact is, we're talking about racists. If we stopped using the y word does that get rid of the racist element or just move them along to the next target?

This isn't a footballing issue is it? Not really.

As i've said on another thread, Chelsea fans hissing "Gas the Jews" doesn't contain the word YID, and yet is probably one of the most offensive things you could shout at another group of human beings, most of whom have no affiliation with the Holocaust whatsoever!

The Yid thing started WAY before the 1990's... I dunno where that comes from!
Yid as a slur was around in the 1930's during Oswald Mosely/Blackshirts etc. when it became attached to Spurs was probably sometime in the 50's/60's, when football fans started travelling en masse to away games (already mentioned somewhere that many 'away' football fans first 'impressions' of North London upon arrival, would've been of the multitude of Hasidic Jews - whom I assume were milling around on their way home from Synagogue on a Saturday, rather than on their way to WHL!!)

The Baddeil thing is mere canon fodder to the wider issue... of COURSE if he felt that strongly about anti-Semitism, he wouldn't support a club with such despicable support as Chelsea's, but then again, I imagine he probably reasons that why should he stop HIS support of a club he loves, simply because of the actions of a few... well the same goes for us calling ourselves YIDS... why the FUCK should we stop what is a reaction to those very same far-right cunts who deem to hiss and nazi salute at us...?

Who opened THIS can'o'worms on a matchday...? blimey, it will run and run!

I remember my late father explaining the same thing to me, circa late 70s.
Fair enough.

Okay, look on you tube 60s/70s/80s you find me one clip of any songs emphasising our Jewishness, or Yid Army - YOU WON'T FIND ONE

it never happened

I can find you endless clips of Glory Glory, Macnamara's band, we are tottenham, super tottenham

Look on our official CD - NOT ONE YID song

The whole complete irony in all of this, is that Tottenham, as an area of London, is probably THE most multi-cultural, diverse region you could wish to stumble across... and yet YID persists!

Maybe it's cos those very same Chelsea/West Ham cunts haven't got the balls to use the 'N' word instead, and make it down the High Road alive!

We've had this debate many times. My position is simple, and I seem to remember Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon agreeing. I have Jewish friends (Spurs and non-Spurs) who are offended when they hear the word Yid.

For me, that is reason to stop using it. At train stations, on tattoos, etc., it offends some Jewish people who have had the word used against them at school over the years.

End of.

The Lyon, Lazio and Neo-Nazi thing - I don't know if that is made worse by us using the word Yid. I suspect not. I just know that I have stopped using it because it offends some of my friends. I know there are also Jewish people who are completely comfortable with it, but it sits uncomfortably with me nowadays.

This is a pointless discussion, everyone has their own ideas and we will never agree with each other.

I completely disagree with as I do think immigrants effect the culture of a football team and I can see where Greaves_357 Greaves_357 is coming from, I just don't think Tottenham and people of the Jewish faith will ever be dissociated.

We should probably stop singing "We Are Tottenham" on account of less than 10-15% of our fanbase not living in Tottenham, too.

Whisper it, but i'm guessing that we are in fact NOT 'the greatest team, the World has ever seen...'

So I guess that's gone too now huh?

:gomes:

This is a pointless discussion, everyone has their own ideas and we will never agree with each other.

I completely disagree with as I do think immigrants effect the culture of a football team and I can see where Greaves_357 Greaves_357 is coming from, I just don't think Tottenham and people of the Jewish faith will ever be dissociated.

And I should hope not, its part of our proud history and sets us apart from virtually all other clubs.

Fair enough.

Okay, look on you tube 60s/70s/80s you find me one clip of any songs emphasising our Jewishness, or Yid Army - YOU WON'T FIND ONE

it never happened

I can find you endless clips of Glory Glory, Macnamara's band, we are tottenham, super tottenham

Look on our official CD - NOT ONE YID song

80's classic on The Shelf

I'm only a poor little Yiddo,
I stand at the back of the Shelf
I go to the bar to buy a lager
and only buy one for myself

You're just a Scottish Jew.
Archibald Archibald

What's the official club cd got to do with this?

Whisper it, but i'm guessing that we are in fact NOT 'the greatest team, the World has ever seen...'

So I guess that's gone too now huh?

:gomes:

Not to mention the fact that Nicola Berti hasn't played for us for the best part of fifteen years. So you can cross that one off, too.

That's not the worst of it:
images

Michael Dawson » Inside Ireland

...are you telling me there's actually MORE THAN ONE MICHAEL DAWSON...?

BOLLOCKS!

yesterday on twitter i saw some people slagging of the continental fans as foreign scum ... some people forget easily , when i was younger the English fans terrorised the continent with every away game. In the end there are always cunts looking for a fight and the yid thing is just another excuse ...

Back
Top Bottom