Yid no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The violence in Lyon last night has been attributed by some quarters as anti-semitic. That seems plausible and ridiculous.

I am a Spurs fan and I am not Jewish; I am neither proud nor ashamed of my non-Jewishness. I have however chanted various songs containing the word "yid" along with thousands of other people on a number of occasions. It's time to stop doing that really - it just gives thugs another excuse for violence and they don't need excuses. There was a time when football violence was regarded as quite simply the work of mindless working class thugs who didn't know any better; great days indeed. Spurs fans dished it out in Rotterdam in the seventies; Liverpool were hardly blameless in the eighties; Leeds fans were subjected to it in the nineties and recently Man Utd, Liverpool, the Goons and us have all been coshed by coppers and fans abroad. But it's become different with Spurs now that racism is topical in English football (even though it's the most actively anti-racist football environment on the planet) and before you know it, every time us Spurs fans come into conflict, verbal or otherwise with other clubs, it's all anti-semitism this and Mel Gibson is a tw*t that. Quite a few of my mates are Gooners, which is something they just have to live with I suppose, and they hate 'yids' as much as I hate them when football's on the agenda. They are not racist or anti-semitic, but the 'yid' tag-line is ours and fair game for football banter as much as the bin-dipping scousers and Grimsby's Harry the Haddock. It's time Spurs fans dis-associated themselves with ridiculous and archaic religions; the Welsh Wizard is the only druid we need.
Thank you, the reverend Iyke.

The problem is the violent nobheads really though isnt it?

The authorities need to come down harder on this kind of thing, or actually turn up when shit kicks off. God forbid actually anticipating and planning ahead to stop trouble preemptively.

Are we going to ban cars to stop car theives?

Well said, I'm Spurs and I'm not Jewish either. It's good that we have many Jewish supporters, but in no way should they define the club. The vast majority of our domestic and global support isn't Jewish. AFAIK, there have been no great Jewish players who have played for us, please don't say Rocket Ronnie :) Nor any great Jewish managers.​
Frankly I've had enough of 'yid this', yid that', for years it didn't bother me, but it's getting ridiculous now.​
Of course IT IS NOT the fault of any Jewish supporters that thugs are attacking our fans.​
But WE ARE NOT a Jewish club, and I will not not be singing any more yid songs at the ground, in the pub, wherever.​
We are Spurs, founded by white Englishmen, I believe of Protestant background. Our great players have been mainly British, with some from other countries. We are named after Harry Hotspur, an Englishman, etc, etc.​

The problem is the violent nobheads really though isnt it?

The authorities need to come down harder on this kind of thing, or actually turn up when shit kicks off. God forbid actually anticipating and planning ahead to stop trouble preemptively.

Are we going to ban cars to stop car theives?
Fair comment Burko, but why are labelling ourselves Yids when most of us aren't. It's all got out of hand as far as I'm concerned. I don't do away matches, and hardly ever do home matches, so it's not that I'm worried about being attacked, but we are attracting a terrible amount of violence now, and it's something our club needs to address.

I'm not saying ban 'yid songs' or the star of david or anything, I just want no part of this 'yid culture' anymore.

The problem I have with just stopping using the word because of attacks is almost saying they've won and letting them have a victory, or am I missing the point?
Granted, a vast majority of spurs are not Jewish but it's the same concept of telling someone to stop being Jewish or stop following their religion because it provokes aggro or violence against them. Obviously it is not on the same level but is the same concept.
Personally I'm proud to be a 'yid' and everything that it stands for and encompasses. However I do understand where people come from on the other side completely.

The recent attack in Lyon definitely made me question the use of the word again however.

If you Don't like the word Yid being used in a POSITIVE way amongst Spurs' fans.
A) Stop using it yourself
B) Explain to people why it offends you, if the only reason is we're getting stick for it, that's really not a good enough reason for us to lose PART of out identity.
We are not entirely Jewish but it out support has been/ is still largely Jewish, this being said there are probably the same amount of Jewish Gunners than there is Yids.

Oh and.. YID ARMY!

Yid schmid! The fact that far-right cunts are attacking our fans in Europe BECAUSE of our perceived Jewish links is surely their problem, not ours!
We ARE - like it or not - 'labelled' with the Jewish tag, and this merely seems to bring out the worst in opposing fans... GOOD! LET THEM SHOW THEIR TRUE COLOURS, cos now we know what a despicable, backward world we live in!

I'm a Jewish Spurs fan, but wouldn't define myself as a Spurs fan BECAUSE I'm Jewish, and that probably goes for the vast majority of JSF's (I'm abbreviating, naturally)

Neo-Nazis are gonna hate anyone they deem fit, or unfit.... It just happens to be Jews, in their various guises. Tottenham as a club are an obvious target, but believe you me, if we stopped calling ourselves Yids tomorrow, do you think the abuse and the hissing, and the Nazi salutes, and the chairs through windows would stop? Would it fuck!

....ask a black man to 'white up' cos some National Front cunt don't like the colour of his skin... and see what response you'd get!

If you Don't like the word Yid being used in a POSITIVE way amongst Spurs' fans.
A) Stop using it yourself
B) Explain to people why it offends you, if the only reason is we're getting stick for it, that's really not a good enough reason for us to lose PART of out identity.
We are not entirely Jewish but it out support has been/ is still largely Jewish, this being said there are probably the same amount of Jewish Gunners than there is Yids.

Oh and.. YID ARMY!

Hi Ramsingh, it is very very important to get this right

OUR SUPPORT IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN LARGELY JEWISH

this is a complete and utter myth and I'm amazed would actually believe this, it's bad enough having ignorant Hammers asking me if I'm Jewish when I say I support Spurs.

Please let's end this nonsense now, we were founded by Englishmen, not Jewish people. The vast majority of our support traditionally was ENGLISH/BRITISH people.

As support has gone global we have fans all around the world, again the vast majority of them are NOT JEWISH

Greaves - the connection is there and that's enough.

Just as many Jewish people at Woolwich yet Woolwich fans abuse Spurs fan.

I agree the violence needs to stop, however the argument "stop using the word Yid" is the same as saying," if you don't want to get raped, don't wear a short skirt".
The issue is not the association of our heritage and the use of a word we reclaimed, the issue is the violence aimed at us because of that association.

Treat the cause, not the effect.

Greaves - the connection is there and that's enough.

Just as many Jewish people at Woolwich yet Woolwich fans abuse Spurs fan.

and there is the delicious irony... "Fabregasssssssssssssssss" anyone?, yeah right, nice one, Gooner scum!

To be honest this summed up today appropriately[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Pre October 2012 - no anti semitic attacks on Spurs fans. Peter Herbert speaks up. Two attacks follow. Happy now? <a href="https://twitter.com/search/#THFC">#THFC</a></p>&mdash; Charlie Marks ( cdmarks90 cdmarks90 ) <a href="https://twitter.com/cdmarks90/status/304523700861030400">February 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tweet]

The fact that thugs are attacking us, is very much our problem because it's leading to our fans getting injured, it's also getting us to be seen as a 'magnet for trouble'

The analogy with black people and the National Front is completely false.

A black person is black - Spurs ARE NOT a Jewish club.

We have a minority of Jewish supporters, probably about 10/15%. None of our great players or managers have been Jewish.

We've adopted this label of 'yids' in many ways correctly as an act of defiance- but to me it's become self- defeating

For the first 30 years of my Spurs supporting - roughly 1960/90 we were Spurs, or Tottenham. AFAIK from 1882 - 1990 this was the case.

This yid fetish has only occurred in recent years, and it's not needed.

I agree the violence needs to stop, however the argument "stop using the word Yid" is the same as saying," if you don't want to get raped, don't wear a short skirt".
The issue is not the association of our heritage and the use of a word we reclaimed, the issue is the violence aimed at us because of that association.

Treat the cause, not the effect.

Or if you're under 16, don't go on Jim'll Fix it... (too soon?)

The problem is most definitely THEIRS and not ours... please let's never start thinking we're somehow the perpetrators in all of this!

The english can't be jewish?o_O

Never knew that was mutually exclusive, oh well... :avbfacepalm:

Well you tell me, can English people be Jewish? If you're English, why say you're Jewish?

But anyway let's assume you can be Jewish and English, it still doesn't alter the point the VAST MAJORITY OF SPURS FANS AREN'T JEWISH

and I don't like your emoticon, so don't expect me to debate with you again :avbfacepalm: :avbfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom