Yid no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a connection with Spurs and Jewish heritage (be it overblown), but that's enough for those that wish to target us. That connection will not go and it's not up to us to solve it by somehow interdicting the 'Jewish' heritage / badge of honour. The association made and the reasoning for the attacks by those attacking...that's the problem.

OUR SUPPORT IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN LARGELY JEWIS
Not trying to sound like an anorak knobhead but were are the statics to prove that? But forgetting that even if 10-12% of our fans WERE Jewish, that gives a massive influence on the culture of our club! Also you say our supporters are English/British, there are a massive influences on those cultures by immigrants! We aren't going to stay a 'English' club forever, as new people come to London & Tottenham (the area not the club) and this influences our support base.

I'm probably babbling nonsense but that's my 2 pence worth.

Not trying to sound like an anorak knobhead but were are the statics to prove that? But forgetting that even if 10-12% of our fans WERE Jewish, that gives a massive influence on the culture of our club! Also you say our supporters are English/British, there are a massive influences on those cultures by immigrants! We aren't going to stay a 'English' club forever, as new people come to London & Tottenham (the area not the club) and this influences our support base.

I'm probably babbling nonsense but that's my 2 pence worth.
You didn't read my post did you?

The fact that thugs are attacking us, is very much our problem because it's leading to our fans getting injured, it's also getting us to be seen as a 'magnet for trouble'

The analogy with black people and the National Front is completely false.

A black person is black - Spurs ARE NOT a Jewish club.

We have a minority of Jewish supporters, probably about 10/15%. None of our great players or managers have been Jewish.

We've adopted this label of 'yids' in many ways correctly as an act of defiance- but to me it's become self- defeating

For the first 30 years of my Spurs supporting - roughly 1960/90 we were Spurs, or Tottenham. AFAIK from 1882 - 1990 this was the case.

This yid fetish has only occurred in recent years, and it's not needed.

Sorry mate. Got to disagree with this.

My old man started going in the early 50s, and there were issues back then with Woolwich and West Ham refering to us as Yids, and when I started going regularly from the late 60s on, I was aware of the connection, and the use of the word almost straight away. As the hooligan culture increased during the mid 70s, it became even more apparent. Christ, I remember graffitying my school books with "Yid Army" in about 77.

Stopping using the word 'yid' isn't going to do shit. The attacks are happening because we have a reputation as a Jewish club. They're not going to stop if they hear fewer "Yid Army" chants at WHL.

I didn't see that bit.

Still it's not possible to differentiate between nationality and faith

ie English and Jewish.

You can be an English Jew very easily. You don't need to be one or the other.
Fair enough, I accept that. I thought the whole idea of being Jewish was that it wasn't just a faith'

You obviously get British Catholics, Protestants, Atheists, Hindus

But I thought Jewish was more of a nationality as well as religious thing, but it doesn't worry me one way or the other. As I say the key thing is most of our support ISN'T Jewish.

My old man started going in the early 50s, and there were issues back then with Woolwich and West Ham refering to us as Yids, and when I started going regularly from the late 60s on, I was aware of the connection, and the use of the word almost straight away. As the hooligan culture increased during the mid 70s, it became even more apparent. Christ, I remember graffitying my school books with "Yid Army" in about 77.

*Edit............Actually, I'd left school by then. So it must have been a wall somewhere :avbfacepalm:

Fair enough, we have dfferent memories. I don't remeber any great emphasis on 'yid army' and the rest of it before the 1990s, but if you say there was, I won't disagree.

All I can say is I nor themany friends I went to the Lane with in the 60s-80s NEVER EVER sang Yid Army, we none of us thought of ourselves as Jewish, except the one Jewish friend I had who went regularly with us to the games. He never sang Yid Army either, and just went around supporting Spurs like the rest of us, I saw no difference in him at all, to any of us.

What is most of our support then? White British? Isn't that a massive assumption?

If you look at our crowd on any given home match that stat holds true.

There is a massive African population in Tottenham now but when you go on match days and look in the barber shops or bookies they have Woolwich posters and wear scum shirts.

There is a massive African population in Tottenham now but when you go on match days and look in the barber shops or bookies they have Woolwich posters and wear scum shirts.
Someone understands the truth. How anyone who goes to Spurs can't see it is beyond me.

Of course we have many non-white British supporting us, but they're not Jewish in the main. Around the world we have a massive fanbase of all sorts of nationalities, again mostly non-Jewish.

I remember my late father explaining the same thing to me, circa late 70s.

What's that got to do with anything?

Back
Top Bottom