"Yid" Chanting Part 2 - new poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yids is an offensive term

• Jewish - yes

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Jewish - no

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Non Jewish - yes

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Non Jewish - no

Votes: 70 63.1%

• Total voters
Éperons said:
Smoked Salmon said:
gentile, which is the Yiddish adaption of gentilis.
The OED doesn't include any Yiddish detours in "gentilis" (in the sense of "Gentile")'s trip from the Vulgate to modern English. From 1380:

He [Petre] wolde not dele wiþ Gentiles for tendirnnesse of þe Jewis
Tellme, when you go to pubsdo you spend your time making sure you are right and everybody else is wrong? :harrylol:

Basically. It's why I don't go to pubs.

I was just interested in the claim, it didn't sound right, so I checked it out. If it had been the case, I would've written, "wow, I never knew that!"

Anyone got an objection to me posting a response from a football-mad, Jewish, non-Spurs fan? He's the one who really made me rethink my use of 'Yid'.

He is reading the article posted on the front page blog and is going to write a response.

We must remember that, throughout this entire debate, on this and other threads, we have never had the opinion of a Jewish non-Spurs fan.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Anyone got an objection to me posting a response from a football-mad, Jewish, non-Spurs fan? He's the one who really made me rethink my use of 'Yid'.

He is reading the article posted on the front page blog and is going to write a response.

We must remember that, throughout this entire debate, on this and other threads, we have never had the opinion of a Jewish non-Spurs fan.

No problem.

We'd even put it on the front page. But I'd be a little bit worried about the reaction he'll get. I'd imagine there'd be some right idiots spilling some horrible vitriol.

should make some of these essays from the front page/blog into a fanzine, and hand them out on match days - an alternative program of sorts. especially the we: the yid army, might inspire some more people at the lane next season.

Flav said:
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:

No problem.

We'd even put it on the front page. But I'd be a little bit worried about the reaction he'll get. I'd imagine there'd be some right idiots spilling some horrible vitriol.
He's thick-skinned and welcomes debate. I'll have a word with him about it. He's very erudite and articulate. A great debater.

Smoked Salmon said:
MKYid said:
Would it be too much to ask for people to stop taking offence at things?

I know this sounds flippant, and to a degree it is, but if people didn't take offence they would lead happier lives. Those that actively seek to offend, wouldn't be able to.

People have more chance to change their sensibilities than they do the motives of others.

I was offended once. I recovered without therapy or surgery...I didn't even need to lie down for a bit. The 'offence' I took was merely a series of thoughts that went through my mind culminating in me doing exactly what I was doing prior to the event, after the event.

I think people need to ask themselves, not why are they offended, but what being offended actually means. To me, being offended means no more than being excited, shocked, amazed or sad. It's a feeling that lasts no more than 5 minutes of what can be a very long lifetime.
So you're saying it's ok if I start calling asians p*kis and blacks n*ggers then? Ya know, cos its about time they stopped taking offence and all.

Essentially, yes.

I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not insensitive enough to go round saying it to anyone and everyone, only those that aren't offended, and there are a few. I know lots of Black people who say nigger, I know a few Pakistanis who aren't bothered by the phrase Paki...I know a Jew who doesn't like being called a Yid, but that's only because he's a Gooner! Conversation is easy with these people because there are no taboos in what we say. Though I would never use any of the above terms in a derogatory fashion, we can have a conversation like the one in this thread, without people recoiling in horror at some of the terminology used.

I couldn't possibly sit with Black people who freely use the term nigger but feel I shouldn't say it because I'm not Black. My mate refers to him and his mate as 'all the Pakis', "you should have seen their faces when all the Pakis turned up". Is it wrong when I ask him "are you out with the Pakis tonight?".

People are reclaiming words, making them positives. Words change meaning over time but to achieve this you need to let go of what the words ment.

I'm Jewish and I don't mind people chanting 'yid'. I do it myself. It does sound a bit weird out of football context though.

What's the real problem isn't the word yid it's anti semitism in general. Using the y word shouldn't make it acceptable to be anti semitic.

Before the game against fulham I saw a mate in the pub who is notoriously bad with money, never pays people back. He asked to borrow a tenner and he'd pay me back in the ground so I did. When he got into the ground after me (i like to get there before kick off) I asked for the tenner. He shoved it in my face and said 'fucking jew'.

That kind of thing is not acceptable but it goes on all the time. That's what needs to be stamped out rather than using particular words.

are they actually serious? accusing us of casual racism when chanting the word 'yid' in a positive manner in a way to identify ourselves which i can pretty much guarantee 99.5% or spurs supporters do not take offence to when they are called the society of BLACK lawyers, i don't see how you can get more discriminative for that. if someone was to start a society of white lawyers, i guarantee you that the whole world would go ape shit

by november 20th no more yid chant or else...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20229332

"If neither Tottenham FC nor the FA are willing to take a stand then SBL will report the matter to the Metropolitan Police Service for investigation and, if necessary, prosecution. The report will be made if this behaviour does not cease by 20 November. We will have monitors in attendance to observe what occurs."

i do not want to get kicked out the ground so Mr policeman and Mr steward

i am singing

the army
the army
the army

I would actually like to see the CPS bring 30,000 to court for chanting "we are the yids, we are the yids, we are, we are, we are the yids, YIDS!"

It's not quite the type of self-abuse I'm familiar with... :gomes:

I would actually like to see the CPS bring 30,000 to court for chanting "we are the yids, we are the yids, we are, we are, we are the yids, YIDS!"

It's not quite the type of self-abuse I'm familiar with... :gomes:
what if you are a jewish spurs fan chanting ''YIDS'', Will they still get done for racism?

Even though I voted no, as a jew I find it equally offensive that a Black lawyer tells me I should be offended by the word as a goyim Spurs supporter tells me (or david Baddiel) that I shouldn't be.

Back
Top Bottom