"Yid" Chanting Part 2 - new poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yids is an offensive term

• Jewish - yes

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Jewish - no

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Non Jewish - yes

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Non Jewish - no

Votes: 70 63.1%

• Total voters
It's a questionable move in itself to create a segregated poll in such fashion, but I feel this is the only way we may gain a different insight into this issue.

Non Jewish no camp, we're not looking to weed out closet racists or anything, everyone has a right to an opinion.

Be honest...

Thelonious said:
would anyone use the Y word unrelated to Spurs?

Never, I used it once, whilst talking about Spurs, and got stopped by a Jewish teacher at my school and got a right bollockin'

Is it an offensive term? The problem with this argument is that its subjective in my eyes. To me, it isn't offensive. If someone called me 'a bloody yid' or whatever, that wouldn't affend me. I only hear it at football anyway (I always used to ask my old man 'what are they chanting?').

I can also see how others would be highly offended at being called 'a bloody yid' though. Of course it depends on the individual.

I don't really know much about it so reading through these threads is quite informative for myself. And for one thing, I never thought I would say that about this place!

YidoBuckler said:
only hear it at football anyway (I always used to ask my old man 'what are they chanting?').
I asked this at my first game with my dad, he told me we were singing Red Army and that I should join in.

:bmj:

Non Jewish - No

Don't like to play the ignorant card, but I just don't know enough about it all tbh.

Whilst I get that some people are offended, what I don't know is why? When was it first used as a derogatory term? By whom?

I genuinely would like to understand more about this.

not offended just bored of it.

it served a very valid purpose back in the day but 40 yrs on bloody tiresome

"Yid" Chanting Part 2 - new poll

Dr. Filth said:
Ben said:
Non Jewish - No

Don't like to play the ignorant card, but I just don't know enough about it all tbh.

Whilst I get that some people are offended, what I don't know is why? When was it first used as a derogatory term? By whom?

I genuinely would like to understand more about this.
Here's a cool article on this: http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/201 ... my-history

That really was an excellent read, thanks. I now know where I stand.

While it will never be offensive to me as an individual, I now feel that I can do as the author has and disassociate my self from the tag, it never felt right to adopt it for my own and always slightly pretentious if I'm honest.

And if I can't adopt it for my own, I can't use it and I can't bestow it on others.

The authors comment about having a responsibility to re-identify is a valid one. The problem we have is that if we stop as a collective, it will smack slightly of hypocrisy when all we can do about it is complain about the abuse.

In my opinion it's up to a jewish person if he/she wants to call him/herself yid. As it is any for any other race, creed or colour. It's not my decision to make so I don't use the word.

For what it's worth I don't know any jewish Spurs fans but I do know jewish Woolwich and chelsea fans.

Been lurking but couldn't any more. I'm one of Schoolboy's Jewish mates who goes to matches regularly with him. It offends me, whether or not it's football or Spurs related.

I had it shouted at me at school. It hurt then and it hurts now. It's a hate-filled word and there's little I see by way of justification for it, especially when used by non-Jews who haven't had to deal with the pain.

Gentiles have no right to use that racist word as their own.

SimonSays said:
Been lurking but couldn't any more. I'm one of Schoolboy's Jewish mates who goes to matches regularly with him. It offends me, whether or not it's football or Spurs related.

I had it shouted at me at school. It hurt then and it hurts now. It's a hate-filled word and there's little I see by way of justification for it, especially when used by non-Jews who haven't had to deal with the pain.

Gentiles have no right to use that racist word as their own.
What's offensive about the goyim shouting "Yiddo!" at Van der Vaart when he has just scored? :vdv:

Big Les Wade said:
SimonSays said:
It's a hate-filled word.

That's the thing that bothers me.
When we shout "Yid Army" to mean "Tottenham Hotspur" (the team & the support), what is hate-filled or offensive about that? As Spurs supporters who are trying to rally the team & eachother, surely we are not using the word in a pejorative manner. It is intended as a uniting cry, a chant of love & pride.

Racist Chelsea, West Ham etc supporters will call Spurs "Yids" as a racist insult, regardless of whether we sing it or not, but when we sing it we refer to the whole of our diverse support, whether they are Jewish or not, with pride, rendering their racist barbs obsolete.

When such racists have tried to offend me by shouting "Yiddo", it's just like hearing someone chanting your own club song at you & it fills me with pride as a Yiddo.

More offensive was being called a "fucking juif" in Marrakesh earlier this year (nothing to do with football), because of the malicious, racist intent behind it & the context (the guy was trying to get money out of me), although there is nothing in itself offensive about the word "juif" (Jew). Anyway, I stood my ground & I said to the cunt "Yes, I am, & what?" & he fucked off.

comeonyouspurs said:
Big Les Wade said:
SimonSays said:
It's a hate-filled word.

That's the thing that bothers me.
When we shout "Yid Army" to mean "Tottenham Hotspur" (the team & the support), what is hate-filled or offensive about that? As Spurs supporters who are trying to rally the team & eachother, surely we are not using the word in a pejorative manner. It is intended as a uniting cry, a chant of love & pride.

Racist Chelsea, West Ham etc supporters will call Spurs "Yids" as a racist insult, regardless of whether we sing it or not, but when we sing it we refer to the whole of our diverse support, whether they are Jewish or not, with pride, rendering their racist barbs obsolete.

When such racists have tried to offend me by shouting "Yiddo", it's just like hearing someone chanting your own club song at you & it fills me with pride as a Yiddo.

More offensive was being called a "fucking juif" in Marrakesh earlier this year (nothing to do with football), because of the malicious, racist intent behind it & the context (the guy was trying to get money out of me), although there is nothing in itself offensive about the word "juif" (Jew). Anyway, I stood my ground & I said to the cunt "Yes, I am, & what?" & he fucked off.
It's offensive because it's not confined to the stadium. Pubs, public transport, t-shirts and tattoos.

Back
Top Bottom