Would you swap top 4 for a trophy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we need to win a trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

You will lose the bet.
Harry Kane is been playing top flight football for about 10 seasons, he had 5 seasons or so of CL and the rest were EL and CL. I bet you now he would have sacrificed one season out of Europe for a winner's medal and a trophy.

And when did he first make noises about leaving?
During the 2 years we weren't in the Champions league.

Kane's breakout season for us was 2014/2015 where he would have had no right to moan about what competition he was playing in.
In 2015/2016 we qualified for the champions league
In 2016/2017 we qualified for the champions league
In 2017/2018 we qualified for the champions league
In 2018/2019 we qualified for the champions league

19/20 was the first time he was in a Spurs team, as a recognised elite player and we didn't qualify for the Champions league. And at the end of that season he announces he wants to leave.
At no point from his breakout season in 2014 did he ever say anything other than "I will stay at Spurs as long as Spurs stay competitive" those are words from his own mouth.

When players say they want trophies, they mean league titles and champions league.
They barely give a fuck about FA Cups and especially league cups in isolation of the other two.

Did Liverpool sign Nunes because they won a domestic double? Nope. It's because they're in the top 2 in England and reach Champions league finals. He probably doesn't even know what the domestic cups are.

We literally only signed Bissouma and Richarlison because we're in the Champions league. There's a very very high chance they wouldn't have come if we were the league cup holders and finished 7th

FFS we haven't won a trophy for 14 seasons, you can't be choosy what trophy plus you have to start somewhere.

Did you forget what happened to Poch when he said he is only interested in big trophies? He ended up winning F@ck all, losing his job at Spurs and then sacked at PSG and now unemployed.

You've literally countered your own argument here. Poch won the league and the domestic cup in France.
He lost his job because he didn't win the CL.
It's the big trophies that matter to players and owners these days/

Old fans who still think the FA Cup is at least as important as the title (it was in the 60's and 70's) don't really matter anymore.

The age old philosophical question, finish in Sky's "Race for the top 4" or win a trophy that will be long remembered 🤔 you can probably do a university degree on the topic
That's my intention, set up a new degree course at TCHE Tottenham College of Higher Education.

The age old philosophical question, finish in Sky's "Race for the top 4" or win a trophy that will be long remembered 🤔 you can probably do a university degree on the topic

Yeah I still have dreams of those league cup wins in 1999 and 2008 when we got to play against shite in the arse end of nowhere the next season.
And how we went out and really improved the squad after each of those wins

As on 26/08/22, 43.3% of Spurs fans voted we do not need to win trophies.

This can only mean those fans are only interested, happy and content with top 4 and spread sheets. They have limited ambition next to no ambition, they don't believe the club motto "To Dare is to Do", this means they are not true Spurs fans. Such a big club with massive history of trophies attracts such fans. Shame.
I’m not sure that’s all it means.

Winning a domestic cup and finishing 11th in the league would not be considered a good season for a club expecting to play in the Champions League.

The health of a club can be far more accurately assessed by looking at their table finish. If you win the league, you’ve proven that over the course of a season that you’ve been the best, most consistent team. If you win the Champions League you’ve shown that you’ve won a long, difficult tournament containing the best teams in Europe.

A team like Wigan can win a league cup whilst barely escaping relegation, like in 2013. The route to the final is shorter and potentially far easier.

Some people on here are implying that they’d be happy for us to be in that position just as long as it meant us winning a trophy. Which is stupid in my opinion. Give me long-term success and consistent top-flight European football over a one off league cup win every day of the week.

trophy you remember you dont remember top four finishes

tell your grankids, oh it was a great time being a spurs fan we finished top four all the time, grandpa did tottenham ever win anything, no we did not.

each decade that passes slowly kills you even more when we dont win something

my best day out was the 2008 league cup final

small cup but seeing our players lift a trophy filled me with joy

FFS we haven't won a trophy for 14 seasons, you can't be choosy what trophy plus you have to start somewhere.

Did you forget what happened to Poch when he said he is only interested in big trophies? He ended up winning F@ck all, losing his job at Spurs and then sacked at PSG and now unemployed.
to arrive 5th or 6th with a carabao cup for me it's a failure
considering conte and the market we have done.

poch was sacked because he was out from the 4th place race (he was 14th in the table)

trophy you remember you dont remember top four finishes

tell your grankids, oh it was a great time being a spurs fan we finished top four all the time, grandpa did tottenham ever win anything, no we did not.

each decade that passes slowly kills you even more when we dont win something

my best day out was the 2008 league cup final

small cup but seeing our players lift a trophy filled me with joy

Sorry, but telling my kid we won the mickey mouse cup once or twice every decade or 2 isn't going to get her interested in football.
Massive games home and away against Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Milan, etc is what gets fans excited.
And having that year after year gives you a better chance of picking up cups along the way.

Tell me what team has won a domestic cup in the last 40 years and used it as a platform to build on?
We didn't build on our 2 league cups.
Everton didn't build on their FA Cup
Wigan certainly didn't build on their FA Cup

What normally happens is a team builds up a bit of a run, wins a cup, then all their best players leave because they peaked.

I wasnt around in the 60s and 70s. Why was an fa cup of random draw be seen as equal to a hard gruelling 42 match season.
It just was back then. Especially as Europe was fairly new in the 60s so wasn't totally dominating everything.
For the record, wasn't born until the 80s
But it's fairly well documented that the FA Cup was as big an achievement prior to then as the league.
Probably because of the pomp and occasion of a day out at Wembley for the team an fans.
That has long since faced IMO.

to arrive 5th or 6th with a carabao cup for me it's a failure
Not at all. We finished 7th in 20/21, below wetspam & Leicester and no trophy, that what I call a failure.

How can you call a season of a trophy and top 6 finish as a failure? For a club with no trophy for 14 seasons and yoyoing around top 6 for the last 20 seasons, is beyond belief. You have to get real.

Not at all. We finished 7th in 20/21, below wetspam & Leicester and no trophy, that what I call a failure.

How can you call a season of a trophy and top 6 finish as a failure? For a club with no trophy for 14 seasons and yoyoing around top 6 for the last 20 seasons, is beyond belief. You have to get real.
I'm sure Kane and Son would definitely turn down moves from City and Madrid if they finished 25 points off top in 6th place but won a league cup.

Get a fucking grip.

If with 2 games to go and let's say one was the FA Cup final and the other to win to finish 4th, in a heartbeat it would be win the FA Cup final.

Far better to ask the question in those terms and I have given my answer.

Back
Top Bottom