Would you swap top 4 for a trophy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we need to win a trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, if Spurs ended up at 5th place in the EPL but won the CL I wouldn't mind at all :D
However, I much rather have Spurs end in the top 4 than win the FA cup and/or the League cup. If Spurs won't qualify for the CL they will have a hard time attracting top players.
You hear all the time that players want to play for clubs qualified for the CL but I have yet to hear a quality player say, "I want to join the club that won the League cup last season."

top four to cement reputation and get experience and build squad playing cl, then the trophies AND top four will come

Well, if Spurs ended up at 5th place in the EPL but won the CL I wouldn't mind at all :D
However, I much rather have Spurs end in the top 4 than win the FA cup and/or the League cup. If Spurs won't qualify for the CL they will have a hard time attracting top players.
You hear all the time that players want to play for clubs qualified for the CL but I have yet to hear a quality player say, "I want to join the club that won the League cup last season."
So you have not heard Kane repeatedly saying he wants to win trophies.?

Would take 5th and league cup over 4th and nothing,
Would take top 4 over the FA cup!? We desperately need to win another trophy, I’d be happy with league cup and Europa league football for a season, get a cup win behind us and we can crack on properly

I don't think we have to choose. We can achieve both.

5 of our last 6 trophies have coincided with poor league form:

81 FA Cup - finished 10th
82 FA Cup - finished 4th and got to the league cup final and the semi-finals of the Cup Winners' Cup
84 UEFA Cup - finished 8th and went out of the domestic cups in the early rounds
91 FA Cup - finished 10th compared to 3rd in 89/90 and 6th in 88/89
99 League Cup - finished 11th and also got to the semi-finals of the FA Cup
2008 League Cup - finished 11th after two successive 5th place finishes

One thing I will say is that the 82 FA Cup was won with a very tired team and that the 82 Final and the replay didn't provide any of the great moments that the 81 Final did - it was won with a single Glenn Hoddle penalty rather than a Ricky Villa wonder goal.

I think one of the key differences with this season is that Conte is preparing us for success. We should treat a top 4 finish as a given, a minimum standard of achievement and aim to win trophies on the back of that.

I think we can be a dark horse for the CL this season. We've got to one final, we can get to another one.

Players say they want CL as they know how much money the clubs get that can relate to wages

Would take 5th and league cup over 4th and nothing,

Would take top 4 over the FA cup!? We desperately need to win another trophy, I’d be happy with league cup and Europa league football for a season, get a cup win behind us and we can crack on properly

The prize for finishing fourth is MUCH MUCH bigger than winning the FA Cup.
It's like winning the Euromillions instead of 3 numbers on the national lotto.

Financially yes. Would Kane think about how many times we’ve qualified for CL if he retires without a trophy to his name?
Would Kane be happy retired with a couple of domestic cups and playing in half empty stadiums on Thursdays against FC Carrybag?

Of course not. Playing in Europe's elite competition is the top for almost every top player out there.
I'm absolutely certain, to the point I would bet very important things on the fact no elite player would trade regular champions league football for a domestic cup.

As on 26/08/22, 43.3% of Spurs fans voted we do not need to win trophies. SHOCKING FIGURE!

This can only mean those fans are only interested, happy and content with top 4 and spread sheets. They have limited ambition next to no ambition, they don't believe the club motto "To Dare is to Do", this means they are not true Spurs fans. Such a big club with massive history of trophies attracts such fans. Shame.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely certain, to the point I would bet very important things on the fact no elite player would trade regular champions league football for a domestic cup.
You will lose the bet.
Harry Kane is been playing top flight football for about 10 seasons, he had 5 seasons or so of CL and the rest were EL and CL. I bet you now he would have sacrificed one season out of Europe for a winner's medal and a trophy.

yes if the trophy is the UCL
FFS we haven't won a trophy for 14 seasons, you can't be choosy what trophy plus you have to start somewhere.

Did you forget what happened to Poch when he said he is only interested in big trophies? He ended up winning F@ck all, losing his job at Spurs and then sacked at PSG and now unemployed.

Back
Top Bottom