Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Many reasons to be excited about is Tottenham team. Eriksen, Kane, Son, Dele, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks, Sessegnon, Clarke, Foyth none have even got going in what I think will be big years for them as the season goes on.

We have a lot of very handy and good footballers at the club at the moment, I'm pretty sure when it al calms down we will be chipping away at that top 4 spot. A Tottenham team that can afford to keep Lucas Moura on the bench for a whole match against Woolwich isn't in bad shape at all really.
That's just the point...we couldn't afford to do that, it gave them the momentum to come at us. We needed Moura and Son up front (not Alli and Kane) to put pressure on their defence and dodgy keeper.

I'm surprised so many of you are happy with the result when we're 2-0 up in the 45th minute. I can't help but feel gutted.

OBVIOUSLY WE ALL WANTED THE WIN. But Im not pressing the panic button because they were able to equalise. Thats what happens in football every week. They were at home, they have very good attacking players but do you think a 2 goal lead with 48mins to 50mins left to play is unassailable?
They could have won, we could have knicked a goal and won it too.
But at the end of the day, their fans are more disappointed than us. They desperately want to finish above us in the league. This draw helps prevent that.

Times have changed, perhaps the fans perspective should too. There's definitely a disconnect between the fans and ambition; some are happy we're even in the top 4 and some want us challenging for cups and titles. Some are happy with a draw when being 2-0 up and some feel gutted.
Like I said, perspective.
It's my honest opinion that the squad we have has over achieved these last 4 years with regards to our league position.
I don't think we've really earned the right to feel gutted at drawing away at a top 6 rival.
Disappointed at throwing away a 2 goal lead? Of course. But gutted? Nah, not for me

It's my honest opinion that the squad we have has over achieved these last 4 years with regards to our league position.
I don't think we've really earned the right to feel gutted at drawing away at a top 6 rival.
Disappointed at throwing away a 2 goal lead? Of course. But gutted? Nah, not for me
I certainly would've taken 2 points from our first 2 away matches (City + Woolwich), it's a result like last week at home that really pisses me off. And yes I expect us to win the next 6 home games in the league: Palace, Southampton, Watford, Sheffield United, Bournemouth & Burnley (16 points instead of 18 wouldn't be the end of the world though).

Strange irony that someone with a forum name of Thomas which implies "Doubting" is actually on here as the "Eternal Optimist" :thumbup:

Seems to me we should start grooming Sissoko to be a right back. He does not need to be in the final third, will not score. With Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks, in midfield we are better there. And, Moura needs to come on for Kane at about 65 minutes. Blaspheme, but we need another gear in the late going, and Kane is going to wear out.
Exactly. Sissoko has a ton of good qualities but a bad fit in this attack right now. Very obvious

Overall. Spurs scored 2 goals at Emirates. Son had numerous chances that he usually converts. Kane unluckily hit the woodwork at 2-1. Way more positives today regardless of losing the 2-0 lead.

While I can appreciate the perspective of feeling like we threw away a 2 goal lead, I think that this is based on fallacious reasoning.

In this logic, coming back from 2-0 down to get a 2-2 draw is good but giving up a 0-2 lead to draw 2-2 is bad. In reality, all minutes of the game are of equal value as are all goals regardless of when they happen. The second half is not more valuable than the first half.

I recognize that it's human nature to feel let down when you feel like a win slipped away, but I think it's more important to look at the game as a whole.

While I can appreciate the perspective of feeling like we threw away a 2 goal lead, I think that this is based on fallacious reasoning.

Fallacious = based on a mistaken belief

We were winning 2-0 and we drew 2-2 so we effectively threw away a 2-0 lead.....what is fallacious about that :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I could only watch the first half hour of the 2nd half when Woolich were rampant. Was that our worst part of the match?

I'm wrong about many things. I stand up for what I believe in, but have never tried to pass myself off as being right about everything.
Sorry to disappoint you
Quite correct. There's a complete difference between having a strong conviction in your opinions and thinking you are always right :thumbup:
Unfortunately for me my wife is of the strong opinion that she's always right :(

In this logic, coming back from 2-0 down to get a 2-2 draw is good but giving up a 0-2 lead to draw 2-2 is bad. In reality, all minutes of the game are of equal value as are all goals regardless of when they happen. The second half is not more valuable than the first half.

I recognize that it's human nature to feel let down when you feel like a win slipped away, but I think it's more important to look at the game as a whole.

Agreed. We were sloppy and hardly deserved to win the game, but put ourselves in the position where they needed two goals to get a point. Their club and fans wouldn’t have accepted that before the game.

We’re suffering from several injuries and uncertainty. In that period we’ve picked up points away from home against rivals for the CL spots.

There will, of course, be questions about mentality. After all, coming back from 2-0 down suggests mental strength despite the mental weakness of going 2-0 down in the first place.

Once the dust has settled, it’s a good point.

It is kind of surprising that people are focusing on the result, but nobody mentions much more alarming issues -

- we gave their midfield all the time in the world since 70th minute. Okay, today we got off with it, but damn me, that is not sustainable. We absolutely certainly will be spanked by our rivals with giving so much room!
- at around 70th or 75th mark most of our players looked like flat tires. No energy at all. While I get that it was high tempo game, the tempo was same for both side. Yet Scum players seemed much more energetic. Wasnt that once our stenghth? that we could outplay/out-battle opposite players and keep constant press on them??? Also really worrying sight
- Poch was AGAIN late with substitutions (that just never seems to change) - it was visible before their equalizer that they had more energy and room, yet Poch did not react to that in any way.

part of me wants to say "hell yeah, got point from really hard game, lets celebrate". But most of me is still so damn worried about where are we moving towards here like this...

Funny how entitled so many have become ... last season lost at Man City 1-0 last season lost at Woolwich 4-2 ... whilst every game is only three points you have to remember that taking points of top six rivals in this case 2 each from City and Woolwich is what gets you top four ... so despite the absolute fuck up against Newcastle we are still better off than last season and two of our rivals are both worse off ....

Not covering up the cracks, the whole dynamic of the squad seems off including Poch, how often has Vertonghen been partly at fault for two goals in one game? how many chances will Son miss? something is not running smoothly ... but it's close

Looking at who didn't start - Ndombele, Dele, Lucas, Lo Celso, KWP, Foyth, Davies, Dier, Sessegnon and a few more we're not in bad shape ...

Two week break and then Palace, Olympiacos, Leicester, Colchester, Southampton, Bayern, Brighton, Watford, Red Star, before we go to Anfield .... we should be going for nine wins or maybe seven and two draws, just cut out the losses, no more bad days at the office.

It is kind of surprising that people are focusing on the result, but nobody mentions much more alarming issues -

- we gave their midfield all the time in the world since 70th minute. Okay, today we got off with it, but damn me, that is not sustainable. We absolutely certainly will be spanked by our rivals with giving so much room!
- at around 70th or 75th mark most of our players looked like flat tires. No energy at all. While I get that it was high tempo game, the tempo was same for both side. Yet Scum players seemed much more energetic. Wasnt that once our stenghth? that we could outplay/out-battle opposite players and keep constant press on them??? Also really worrying sight
- Poch was AGAIN late with substitutions (that just never seems to change) - it was visible before their equalizer that they had more energy and room, yet Poch did not react to that in any way.

part of me wants to say "hell yeah, got point from really hard game, lets celebrate". But most of me is still so damn worried about where are we moving towards here like this...

The high-tempo stuff tends to be more evident as the season goes on. Every club has a period of rest and a period for their training to visibly make a difference, so it’s not surprising that we start slowly. Repeat that game in 6 months and it’s a very different confrontation.

As for the midfield, replace Sissoko with Ndombele and it’s much better.

Funny how entitled so many have become ... last season lost at Man City 1-0 last season lost at Woolwich 4-2 ... whilst every game is only three points you have to remember that taking points of top six rivals in this case 2 each from City and Woolwich is what gets you top four ... so despite the absolute fuck up against Newcastle we are still better off than last season and two of our rivals are both worse off ....

Not covering up the cracks, the whole dynamic of the squad seems off including Poch, how often has Vertonghen been partly at fault for two goals in one game? how many chances will Son miss? something is not running smoothly ... but it's close

Looking at who didn't start - Ndombele, Dele, Lucas, Lo Celso, KWP, Foyth, Davies, Dier, Sessegnon and a few more we're not in bad shape ...

Two week break and then Palace, Olympiacos, Leicester, Colchester, Southampton, Bayern, Brighton, Watford, Red Star, before we go to Anfield .... we should be going for nine wins or maybe seven and two draws, just cut out the losses, no more bad days at the office.

I too believe that the league table picture will become much clearer after the Liverpool match. There are lots of points waiting to be collected by us during this period...let's have a look at things then

Back
Top Bottom