Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m stuck in two minds.

Do we go 3 at the back, then have the wingbacks supply proper width, allowing Dier to step into midfield when necessary.

Or go 4-2-3-1, and have Eriksen, Dele and Son behind Kane with Ndombele and Winks in the middle?

Both have their positives but also have flaws.

Best centre back trying to convince the manager to start him in one of our biggest games of the season and not being able to play our only right back because the club are trying to sell him. I'm slow to use the word shambles but this really isn't far off it...

It’s perfectly normal for a 32 year old to have to convince the manager that he’s ready to start ahead of younger options. Let’s also not forget that brain dead moment from Jan last season when he randomly decided to play volleyball on Woolwich’s first set piece in this fixture. He was mediocre last season and doesn’t deserve an automatic start. He has to earn it like every other player.

I'm starting to get a 3 in the back tingle in my pants.

Toby-Sanchez-Jan
Sissoko-Ndombele-Winks-Davies
Lamela-Kane-Son

Eriksen, Dele, Lucas, Lo Celso, Rose, Dier, GAZINGA on the bench.

Dele and Lo Celso to come off the bench at some point, third sub based on situation/injury.

It’s perfectly normal for a 32 year old to have to convince the manager that he’s ready to start ahead of younger options. Let’s also not forget that brain dead moment from Jan last season when he randomly decided to play volleyball on Woolwich’s first set piece in this fixture. He was mediocre last season and doesn’t deserve an automatic start. He has to earn it like every other player.
He's our best defender by a country mile.

You would be completely correct, if our 'younger options' were better. There's no way Jans form and fitness could have deteriorated in the space of a couple of months to the extent that he is worse than Sánchez. No chance.

I'm starting to get a 3 in the back tingle in my pants.

Toby-Sanchez-Jan
Sissoko-Ndombele-Winks-Davies
Lamela-Kane-Son

Eriksen, Dele, Lucas, Lo Celso, Rose, Dier, GAZINGA on the bench.

Dele and Lo Celso to come off the bench at some point, third sub based on situation/injury.
I think you're right here. Subs: Dele, Lucas and Eriksen. Poch keeps saying Lo Celso needs more conditioning so he might miss out on this game with international break coming up to train

I think you're right here. Subs: Dele, Lucas and Eriksen. Poch keeps saying Lo Celso needs more conditioning so he might miss out on this game with international break coming up to train
As much as Lamelas tenacity is good for these games, he can’t start here. He’s been poor the 3 games he’s played. Eriksen has to start with Son, and so does Dele it fit. He will actually make runs beyond Kane.

As much as Lamelas tenacity is good for these games, he can’t start here. He’s been poor the 3 games he’s played. Eriksen has to start with Son, and so does Dele it fit. He will actually make runs beyond Kane.
Saying Lamela has been poor is a bit of a stretch, he's at least been productive in his games 1G, 1A. I would agree he should not be starting centrally though. If we do play a 4-2-3-1 I wouldn't mind something like...

Son-Eriksen-Lamela
---------Kane---------

Edit: Obviously if Dele is fit to start I want him out there.

Saying Lamela has been poor is a bit of a stretch, he's at least been productive in his games 1G, 1A. I would agree he should not be starting centrally though. If we do play a 4-2-3-1 I wouldn't mind something like...

Son-Eriksen-Lamela
---------Kane---------

Edit: Obviously if Dele is fit to start I want him out there.
Yeh, he has been productive, but he’s also slowed down too many attacks and often makes the wrong choice with a pass.

Kane has had to drop deep quite often to try and make play for others. What Alli does so well is move into that space left by Kane. With Ndombele and Winks in centre mid we have the license to allow Eriksen dictate ahead of them, and Son and Dele get up alongside Kane. We just lack proper width. We need the fullbacks to supply that.

I’d like to see a Dier and Ndombele midfield. Dier does the defensive side very well, giving Ndombele the license to push forward and make chances.

I will be watching this in the Supporters' Club in Valletta, obviously hoping for a positive result, but dreading the worst. What worries me the most is that the team spirit that was so strong and got us through some sticky moments, seems to have deserted us.

Spurs need a performance and a result next Sunday. This game is very much a “must not lose” fixture after today’s loss.
Hopefully Eriksen and Lo Celso will be more involved to provide some much needed creativity.
And if we do lose? What then?

Unfortunately I think this current Woolwich side look quite good.
Smells like a draw to me. We grumble and move on - but probably enough to silence a lot of the current outcries.
Happy with a draw but Pepe and Aubemeyang frighten the life out of me.

Back
Top Bottom