Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Love the optimism !!

Optimism is good.

I just find there are people who fall apart when their 3-0 Spurs win prediction is proven to be a bit too optimistic.

Maybe that’s the price of blind optimism though.

I’m a realistic optimist. I want us to win.

But if we lose I’m not going to act like this was an unforeseen event that will signal the end of life as know it.

Optimism is good.

I just find there are people who fall apart when their 3-0 Spurs win prediction is proven to be a bit too optimistic.

Maybe that’s the price of blind optimism though.

I’m a realistic optimist. I want us to win.

But if we lose I’m not going to act like this was an unforeseen event that will signal the end of life as know it.
We all want to win but history shows we don't or very rarely do so we have built in defence mechanisms to cope.

It’s perfectly normal for a 32 year old to have to convince the manager that he’s ready to start ahead of younger options. Let’s also not forget that brain dead moment from Jan last season when he randomly decided to play volleyball on Woolwich’s first set piece in this fixture. He was mediocre last season and doesn’t deserve an automatic start. He has to earn it like every other player.

I'd rather have Vertonghen with amputated leg than Sanchez in CB against Scum
:sonlol:

No better time for the players to respond and show us they do give a shit. . . Hoping we do come through.

Also any news on Ndombele yet? didn't see him in the training pictures but there were only a few players in the pictures so I haven't given up hope.

He is absolutely pivotal to this game :avbpray:

All I care about is the intensity of the performance. Ever since we lost away at Burnley last season we have played absolutely feeble football, we need to show that we are still alive.

If we play with the proper energy and aggression then we can start winning matches again, any more of this slow, soft, sideways shit and we are in for a disaster of a season. I think this stretch of 15 games is the worst we have ever played under Poch and it has to start changing immediately, shit teams are beating us without having to do anything special.

Our players need to stop talking about challenging for the title and focus on winning games. We are a million miles away from challenging City, we haven’t won an away game in the league since January. 7 months without an away win and we have players talking about the title. They need to wake up.

There is so much supposition, unfounded rumours, unsubstantiated statements, gossip and fake news currently clouding this club's situation on here that perhaps the truth about what is currently going on has disappeared from view. The only true barometer is the team's performance, it gives so many answers regarding overall morale, confidence,commitment, genuine ambition,motivation and general state of affairs.
That is why I am going to allow this week as an opportunity for Poch to reassemble the troops and prepare for the huge battle that lies ahead of us on Sunday before coming to any firm convictions regarding his future tenure as manager.

I regard the game as pivotal to the rest of the season. In the past few years we have established a clear and tangible gap between ourselves and the Woolwich which greatly diminished last season. They are attempting a resurgence following their recent signings and this is our opportunity to remind them of where they actually stand in relation to ourselves.

Should the situation be as bad as many are proclaiming on here then there would seem very little that can be done to inspire the team to a victory, a draw may be seen as some sort of redemption but a heavy defeat would,for many members, simply reinforce the belief that the Poch era is reaching an end.
After spending many hours reading all the postings on here I can only liken the exercise to a friend of mine who was employed at the local sewerage works. He said that for twenty five years he watched a stream of shit go past his eyes in the eternal hope that one day the glint of a diamond would catch his eye, it never did. I have been more fortunate and quite a few true 'gems' can be found within the forums if one is willing to search deep enough. What is blatantly evident within all of the posts (informative or just plain insultive) is the depth of passion everyone here holds for this football club and it warms this old man's heart to see it :thumbup:

So I shall reserve judgement and proclaim this week as a hiatus within which I sincerely hope much reorganisation and rethinking regarding strategies and man management will be taking place.
As for the match itself I make no predictions, not after last week. But it is my opinion that whatever does happen will prove a much more accurate weather forecast of either bright sunshine or thunderstorms ahead than the Newcastle game did.

The thought of the players all being pissed during the game is throwing up some amusing(to me) scenarios.
Imagine Woolwich have just scored their 3rd after 8 minutes of play,but the game cant restart because the Spurs players all sat in a column on the floor doing "opps upside your head"

I am actually chuckling at work .

There is so much supposition, unfounded rumours, unsubstantiated statements, gossip and fake news currently clouding this club's situation on here that perhaps the truth about what is currently going on has disappeared from view. The only true barometer is the team's performance, it gives so many answers regarding overall morale, confidence,commitment, genuine ambition,motivation and general state of affairs.
That is why I am going to allow this week as an opportunity for Poch to reassemble the troops and prepare for the huge battle that lies ahead of us on Sunday before coming to any firm convictions regarding his future tenure as manager.

I regard the game as pivotal to the rest of the season. In the past few years we have established a clear and tangible gap between ourselves and the Woolwich which greatly diminished last season. They are attempting a resurgence following their recent signings and this is our opportunity to remind them of where they actually stand in relation to ourselves.

Should the situation be as bad as many are proclaiming on here then there would seem very little that can be done to inspire the team to a victory, a draw may be seen as some sort of redemption but a heavy defeat would,for many members, simply reinforce the belief that the Poch era is reaching an end.
After spending many hours reading all the postings on here I can only liken the exercise to a friend of mine who was employed at the local sewerage works. He said that for twenty five years he watched a stream of shit go past his eyes in the eternal hope that one day the glint of a diamond would catch his eye, it never did. I have been more fortunate and quite a few true 'gems' can be found within the forums if one is willing to search deep enough. What is blatantly evident within all of the posts (informative or just plain insultive) is the depth of passion everyone here holds for this football club and it warms this old man's heart to see it :thumbup:

So I shall reserve judgement and proclaim this week as a hiatus within which I sincerely hope much reorganisation and rethinking regarding strategies and man management will be taking place.
As for the match itself I make no predictions, not after last week. But it is my opinion that whatever does happen will prove a much more accurate weather forecast of either bright sunshine or thunderstorms ahead than the Newcastle game did.
Well said from one old man to another.

396b5q.jpg

Last edited:

Well said mate, but I wonder if one of the factors (maybe the most important or the least important its impossible to know) is that there are quite a few players whose futures are not certain - Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Aurier - and that makes it difficult to have a squad all puling in the same direction, all committed to playing for Spurs this season etc. It probably also makes it difficult for Poch and the coaches to plan how the team will set up and play games, probably not helped by a run of injuries.

Imo, after 2 September (the end of TW for the major European countries) things will be come a lot clearer, who is staying and who is not - it might take a couple of players a week to sign contract extensions where that is an issue - but both players and Poch know where they stand. And that has to help squad cohesion and managers decision making.

The run of games after that are Crystal Palace (H) on 14 September, Leicester (A) 21 September and Southampton (H) on 28 September.

I'm not expecting a lightbulb moment, but I am expecting to see a steady improvement in performances in all of those games, but if it starts against Wooolwich, so much the better !

I was away for the weekend so haven't seen anything of Sundays shitfest, but I'm still going to set my expectations quite low on this one. I'd love the win, but realistically I think I'd settle for a draw.
The main things I want to see though is some fucking guts and aggression. I really want to see the lads fighting hard and be up for the game. I want to see the ball being passed forwards not sideways or backwards.

:dierpochhug:

Back
Top Bottom