Will The Board Give AVB Time ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder if, perversely, Baldini's hiring doesn't make AVB's position a bit more tenuous. After all, the theory goes, a DoF is brought in to provide a certain level of football-brained long-term thinking that can cover the volatility that is the gaffer. So now that we have a DoF, having the right head coach is not as important.

At least that's the theory. That said, it would take Act of God level series of events this season that I cannot even imagine for AVB not to be at the helm in ten months. Both to the bad (finishing tenth) and to the good (quadruple, AVB starts planning his colourway for his Dakar rally team).

I be honest , I am not convinced with are style of play , I know it's early days but even last season , I was not happy about are high line of defence and slow tempo getting though the phases.

I personally preferred are style of play under Redknabb but he got what he deserved in the end for other reasons .

I don't think AVB is the man to take us forward, I hope I am wrong .Our team a season before last was better if only levy had brought 1 world class striker then instead of playing poker in the transfer market .

I be honest I think it's going to be a hard season for us this year

I wonder if, perversely, Baldini's hiring doesn't make AVB's position a bit more tenuous. After all, the theory goes, a DoF is brought in to provide a certain level of football-brained long-term thinking that can cover the volatility that is the gaffer. So now that we have a DoF, having the right head coach is not as important.

At least that's the theory. That said, it would take Act of God level series of events this season that I cannot even imagine for AVB not to be at the helm in ten months. Both to the bad (finishing tenth) and to the good (quadruple, AVB starts planning his colourway for his Dakar rally team).

DoF I think is no good ,the manager should be called that not "head coach" . The manager should have full control of team affairs and not be undermined or a yes man

are style of play

Sorry but pet hate. OUR

DoF I think is no good ,the manager should be called that not "head coach" . The manager should have full control of team affairs and not be undermined or a yes man

It depends on who the director is and what his role is. In the past this has been a little unsuccessful for us with Pleat apparently undermining Hoddle at any opportunity. But this is a DoF chosen by the coach. He wanted him there to help with the running and structure of the club. It seems to have paid off with the business we have done in the Window. I think you need to separate the idea of Baldini being AVB direct line manager and the idea of him being Sporting Director (or whatever his role is.)

Baldini seems to have been brought in to take some of the pressure off both Levy and AVB with regards to transfer negotiations, scouting etc. Leaving Levy to focus on the stadium and commercial aspects, and AVB to focus on organising the team. All seems fairly logical to me.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/disc...-position-of-director-of-football-in-general/

We've got 6 points from 3 games, and our loss was away to a top 4 side. Not sure where all this knee-jerking has come in already.

I really don't think we're going to be in trouble this year. Although I do think AVB is the man they're looking for to create a legacy so I think he'll be given the benefit of the doubt this year IF things don't go to plan. Can't see it getting to that though, to be honest.

Couldn't agree more.

Board have invested in the team, training facilities and land to build a new stadium.
The only way that stadium is getting built / filled is with CL football.

They havent though, have they - with (I believe) a £5m profit this window, and (my guess) a reduced wage bill Im not sure we can say the club have invested at all. They have done the same as always, juggled resources rather than put their hands in their pockets.

Not that I have an issue with that at all, personally I think the window has been a success - its just that sentence didnt read well to me at all!

They havent though, have they - with (I believe) a £5m profit this window, and (my guess) a reduced wage bill Im not sure we can say the club have invested at all. They have done the same as always, juggled resources rather than put their hands in their pockets.

Not that I have an issue with that at all, personally I think the window has been a success - its just that sentence didnt read well to me at all!
True when you look at it financially, but I would say the squad is stronger now than last year.

You just don't know with the board. AVB has to get us into the top 4 with the squad we've got now. I really hope he's our manager for years to come but we have to be winning trophies. We've been underachieving in the last 10 years IMO. Only 1 league cup and in the UCL once.

I think sacking the manager has well and truly gone out of fashion with the majority of our fans. I hope they give him the time he needs to turn us into competition winners.
:avbpray:

Of course we can't know what has been paid in sign on fees, agent fees etc, but if we actually managed to lower the wage expenses then that's quite brilliant indeed.

Thats a guess on my part, I havent seen it confirmed anywhere.

The way I look at it since Jan we have dropped a number of (relative) high earners - Jenas (£49k+?), Gallas (£60k), Bentley (£50k), Bale (£100k), Dempsey (£50k), Huddlestone, Caulker, Livermore, Ekotto...

Obviously pure guestimation but I am confident in saying they would have been on good money. I read Soldado is on £70k, coming from Holland I would say we could have upped Chadli and Eriksens money and still have them on relatively low wage, same with Capoue being as France doesnt seem to be exactly lucrative. Paulinho too probably. If Lamela is on £70-80k by my reckoning we are probably better off over all. If you think those that went were probably worth £350-400k a week, would this lot be worth as much? I doubt it.

I think sacking the manager has well and truly gone out of fashion with the majority of our fans. I hope they give him the time he needs to turn us into competition winners.
:avbpray:

Well the dinosaur got us to a final only for us to lose on pens within the first couple of weeks of being in the job and CL football in his second season. So surely the tactical genius messiah should be expected to secure a top 4 especially when you consider 3 of the previous top 4 sides have changed manager.

Maybe you would be happier with the term re-invest?

They had a choice, the club made a profit and the board can invest / re-invest in the stadium or the team. They choose the team. Or maybe the owner made the choice, I don't know. However you look at it on the balance sheet it's an investment rather than a dividend being taken out the business.

The spare £5m will probably be needed to help pay these latest mercenaries, sorry I mean loyal and committed professional footballers :ade:.

(The board would not invest in the team anyway, the only person who could do that is the owner if we really want to get into the terminology. Don't think Levy dipping into his savings for a million would make much difference really.)

To sum it up we made a profit on Bale and it went on the team rather than the stadium.
Which says to me they want CL football before they want the stadium.
Which means that AVB has probably been told exactly what they expect for spending £100m+ on new players rather than some steel and glass.

Other thing that hasn't been mentioned in this debate - who would replace AVB?

As I have mentioned elsewhere, AVB was in a unique position after the Chelsea debacle. A young manager who had performed incredibly in his first season, had taken a big job (with a political side he was unprepared for) afterwards and had fallen flat on his face. Let's be frank, here - whatever happens with AVB, he's either on the way up or on the way down. Not saying that he'll move on soon, but in terms of managerial stock, you're only as good as your last job, which is why the press gave him so much shit for so much of last year. I think the press only finally swayed onto his side when we beat City 3-1 thanks to his substitutions.

So that explains AVB's presence here but what about possible replacements?

Say we finish 5th, Europa League semi-finalists and a good showing in the cups but no silverware. That's an improvement in the cups, no improvement in the league (which is where Levy's eyes will be trained) and, effectively, revenue remains about par. To me, Levy may well view that as a failure and in the past he may have been impatient. But I think what shouldn't be overlooked is that AVB is in a relatively nascent period in his managerial career and the amount he learns and adds to his repertoire at this stage will be huge - in short, he should be visibly evolving in terms of style at this stage, rather be known as X or Y type of manager (see the Mourinho or SAF cliches - siege mentality and hairdryer respectively).

Regardless of any of this, look at our past 5 managers - Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos and Redknapp; beside them I've listed the jobs that followed them.

Hoddle - Post England debacle and after keeping Southampton in the Premier League in a relegation battle, he joined us. After which, he went on to manage Wolves before his soccer academies and punditry.
Santini - A brief stint with us, followed by Auxerre. Prior to this, a giant in the French game.
Jol - Did well with Hamburg, taking them to 5th place and a Europa League semi final and the German league cup. Won the Dutch cup and came runners up in the Eredivisie with Ajax. Now with Fulham, not doing particularly well after we nabbed Dembele and Dempsey off them.
Ramos - Had an underwhelming season managing Real Madrid - took a big step up after us to them, but fell short. Signed for CSKA Moscow and fell short. Now with Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (me neither) in Ukraine (oh, those guys!)
Redknapp - unemployed briefly after batting his eyelids at the England job and not getting it. Now with QPR who he took down after being appointed in a difficult time for the club.

Looking at the above, there seems to be a mix of managers we get. Hoddle was disgraced post England but could have managed us anyway. Santini was a highly-regarded manager and could have done a good job if not for internal politics. Jol did well in the Eredivisie but has come back to manage Fulham...and hasn't done a great job of it. Ramos managed at Real Madrid and CSKA Moscow - two big clubs (one bigger than other, sure) but nobody would call his tenure at either a roaring success. And Redknapp has dropped to the Championship.

Based on this track record, who do we expect to get in for AVB?

If you didn't read the above, my summary is thus - AVB is growing as a manager, he could be ten times the manager he is now by the end of the year, at the cost of a year's CL. Will Levy see it that way and retain his services? I don't know. Would I like him to? Yes, in the absence of better options and as we've seen in the past, most of our managers tend to get to Spurs as a high point (not always THE high point) of their career, rather than being former European giant managers taking a step down to elevate us.

Well if we need a manager of a former European giant - Brendan Rodgers is it then.

He annoys me for some reason. So I better not have just tempted the fuck out of fate.

Back
Top Bottom